It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trio allegedly try to break dog out of pound for funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

WILSON, Okla. - Two men have been charged with second-degree burglary after they and a teenager were trying to bust a dog out of the city pound for its owner's memorial service.

Another story of animal love, and how important they are in some of our lives, and deaths.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AlaVdsbb7O25foTjms5k_x0uQE4F

[edit on 1-5-2008 by space cadet]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
What do you all think the punishment should be for a crime motivated by such?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think the dog should be given a bone and the burglars should be charged with burglary. What else is there? Allow crimes committed on behalf of dead people to carry a reduced penalty?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think that is one of the most selfless and noble acts that I have seen in a long time. Good for them. They shouldn't be punished, in fact they should be applauded.

Obviously the dog meant a great deal in the owners life judging by the lengths that these folks went to to see that the dog was freed in order to attend the womans funeral. If it were my dog I would hope that I had friends and family members loyal enough and courageous enough to do the same for me.

Just my $0.02

[edit on 5/2/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I personally agree with you. If someone who cared enough about me and my love for my dogs, and their love for me, to do something like this I would hope that the motive would be fully understood, if not then I suppose they would have known that from the start, and cared enough to take that risk.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Alright... the other side of the coin.

You do the crime, you do the time.

They broke the law, plain and simple. I believe there is a 'gray' area here but that will be up to the judge trying the case.

You steal food to feed your family, you are still breaking the law. Its not that I agree with it, but laws are in place for a reason.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Put them doing community service at the pound

mikell

Have a great day

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
Alright... the other side of the coin.

You do the crime, you do the time.

They broke the law, plain and simple. I believe there is a 'gray' area here but that will be up to the judge trying the case.

You steal food to feed your family, you are still breaking the law. Its not that I agree with it, but laws are in place for a reason.

In certain instances a man has to step outside of the law in order to do the right thing.

Some issues take a moral high ground to man's law. Not saying it isnt a crime, just saying it is a noble effort and the intentions were pure.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
While I am fairly law abiding, though you can't drive across the county nowdays without breaking some law, I agree that it seems they were doing the morally "right thing" here. Still, they knew they were breaking the law, and placed their morals over the law. The act would not have meant anything if there had been no risk.

Sometimes you have to do the right thing, and then pay the consequences for that action. When you pay a price for your beliefs, then you are sure they are worth having.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

I think you are on the right track Mike! I have always thought that the punishment for anything should fit the crime itself. Good Idea!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
i got a question.

Why wasnt the dog allowed to go to the funeral in the first place?
fence or not the person who made that decision is cruel.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by batmanaw]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by batmanaw

(quote) The mixed-breed dog, Luke, was picked up April 22 while roaming the streets of the tiny Carter County community of Wilson. One day later, his owner, 53-year-old Saundra Vickers, died from health complications, Police Chief Felix Hernandez said.

A rumor began spreading that authorities planned to euthanize Luke. So early Sunday, 17-year-old Willie Justin Miller, 18-year-old James Thompson and 22-year-old Matthew Gonzalez broke into the pound in an attempt to free the dog, Hernandez said.

top topics

join