It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opponents Of Ten Commandments Monument Suing Fargo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Opponents Of Ten Commandments Monument Suing Fargo

www.todaysthv.com

FARGO, N.D. (AP) -- Opponents of a Ten Commandments monument in Fargo, North Dakota, have filed a civil lawsuit against the city, asking that the granite marker be removed.

The Red River Freethinkers accuse the city of "unconstitutional conduct."

The Freethinkers contend that their rights were violated when Fargo refused to allow them to put up their own monument near the Ten Commandments monument on city property. The proposed monument would say, "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

The Freethinkers lost an earlier attempt to have the Ten Commandments monument removed. Federal Judge Ralph Erickson ruled in 2005 that the monument celebrates both religious and secular ideals and does not violate the Constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What ever happened to separation of church and state. And freedom from religion? Why must us atheists be subjected to religious nonsense! I find it vulgar that we have granite markers celebrating the cruel and unusual rules of the tyrant Jewish God.

www.todaysthv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Terribly shocked no replies here... well folks lets hear from someone please!

Do we have to have religion shoved down our throats?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I think maybe everyone's tired of the Atheists versus Believers cage fighting...I know I am...but who knows...if you keep shoving this post down our throats maybe someone will bite
oh wait....did I just.....?....

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Why so surprised? There is no separation of church and state in this country, just lip service like all the claims to freedom and democracy. It's there right on the money for God's sake...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I agree entirely, it's totally unconstitutional and it strikes me as pure arrogance that they would even try to have something like that erected. Before Christians start flipping out because they out number atheists and somehow because atheism is a minority that it's ok to then to step on the constitution - think about how it would be in reverse.

What if atheists wanted to put up a giant rock stating ten reasons why we're right and creation is wrong? That would pretty much go over like a lead balloon tied to a dump truck. The term "militant atheism" would no doubt echo the country. Where are our statues to science against ignorance? I can even imagine CNN parroting such a thing as hate speech. Only Christians are allowed to aggressively front their beliefs to the public, and for the moment, that's just the way it is.

new topics

top topics

join