It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Send Your Name to the Moon Aboard LRO!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ok, this isn't big news, but NASA is taking names to be placed on a microchip aboard the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

It may sound kind of corny, but if you have kids or know someone who does, it's actually kind of neat. Go to the link below, type in their name and then you can print a certificate that looks pretty cool. I just got one for my kids, they will get a kick out of it. The deadline is June 27, 2008.

Send Your Name to the Moon

See the Nasa Release for the full article.

Enjoy!
Rush

Mods: If this isn't a good place for this thread, please feel free to move it.

jra

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Sweet. I've done this before on one or two other missions. I'll have to do it for this too. Thanks for posting this.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks, jra. This is the first time I've heard of them doing this. What other missions did you do this on?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Thanks for the link, I think this is pretty cool! I did my husband's name too!

jra

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
What other missions did you do this on?

I honestly can't remember, it was a few years ago. Their have been a number of missions that have done this. I found a list that had these. Selene from JAXA, Phoenix Mars lander, Dawn, New Horizons, Deep Impact, The Mars Exploration Rovers and Stardust.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Thanks for the reply, jra. I'll remember to watch for other missions to offer this. I told my teenager about it this morning and she actually thought that it was pretty cool, which is really quite rare for her since it didn't include the word "mall".

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the link! Really made my daughter's day when I gave her the certificate and explained it.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Thanks for the link! Really made my daughter's day when I gave her the certificate and explained it.

Thanks for the post, I'm glad that she enjoyed it. I think this is a great thing for kids. It makes them feel, I don't know, somehow connected to a universe that is just too large for them (or any of us for that matter) to comprehend.

Rush

jra

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Here's another that just came up. It's for the Kepler telescope which is designed to detect Earth sized planets and smaller, around other stars.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This is great, jra. Thanks for the update.

Kepler is NASA's first mission capable of detecting Earth-size and smaller planets in the habitable zone of solar-like stars. The spacecraft is planned to be launched from Kennedy Space Center in February 2009.

source

Deadline for the is November, 2008.

Rush

new topics

top topics

join