It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush offers $770m for food crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Bush offers $770m for food crisis

news.bbc.co.uk

George W Bush has offered $770m (£390m) in international food aid to help ease the effects of surging food prices that have sparked riots in some countries.

The US president said he was asking Congress to approve his request.

The White House has come under intense pressure to step in as high food and petrol prices have squeezed poor families both at home and abroad.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com
www.congoo.com
www.upi.com
www.besternews.co m

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have read this article over and over and I am a bit confussed. Where exactly are we sending this money to? Is any of it to ease the prices here? Because if I understood it correctly all that money is going out of this country to feed other people in other countries. Now don't get me wrong I care about the people who are hungry all around the world, but what about the people here who have been denied food stamps and ar ehaving to resort to crime to feed their familes? WHy are we so concentrated on the world instead of what is in our own backyard?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thefight

I am so glad that Bush is still taking it upon himself to add more to our deficite to help people in other countries while we have hunger and suffering here.

Thanks for posting the article. The last one I heard about, I think he only stuck $200million on the taxpayers' tab.
This will probably add to our inflation, and make prices continue to climb at home.

It's wonderful that our president is such an activist, trying to end suffering in the world.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Once again its our governments policy to clean the worlds backyard without cleaning our own backyard...I will say this though 770 million in the scope of things is not a lot of money so as much as hes trying to look like a good guy he is doing it in a half a$$ way. But take care of the people here first.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
LostNemesis this article ticked me off as well. I can barely afford the gas at the moment yet here he goes giving away more of our tax dollars, which could be used to fix our own problems. Thanks for your enthusiatic reply. It made me smile.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Thats the funny thing...what are they just printing another $770 mil? We all know theres no money left here as domestic spending by the government has stopped.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thanks for that.

The costs of gas are hurting everyone. Couple that, with the growing prices of food, and some families are definitely going to feel it. Let's not even get into the elderly who were already struggling, to decide whether they would buy groceries for the next couple weeks.. Or their life-saving meds...

mybigunit,
$700m may not seem much in the scheme of things, but when you are struggling it sure is an impressive number. Surely they COULD have found some way to use it here? Maybe repair a bridge that's been neglected for long enough? Eh, I don't know. Too much money is leaving this country as it is.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

mybigunit,
$700m may not seem much in the scheme of things, but when you are struggling it sure is an impressive number. Surely they COULD have found some way to use it here? Maybe repair a bridge that's been neglected for long enough? Eh, I don't know. Too much money is leaving this country as it is.

Um read my post I said that...we need to clean our own backyard before you clean others and that money should be spent here
I agree we spend way to much on foreign aide and foreign subsidize you know the whole policing and feeding the world thing so we do agree. Im just saying 770 million is not a big amount of money thats all but big or small as long as our backyard is dirty that small amount needs to be spent here sorry if I was not clear enough.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Where is this money coming from? We have to borrow 60 billion a month just to fund our deficit spending. Foreigners are getting tired of lending us money at ridiculous interest rates. Which are negative when you subtract REAL inflation.

I guess when your credits about maxed out, you might as well go for BROKE.

Looks like the Sheet Metal Pension Fund is having trouble now.

On March 1, 2008, the Fund sent you a Notice that Sheet Metal Workers’ National Pension Fund (“NPF”) had been certified by its actuary to be in critical status for the 2008 Plan Year.

www.smwnpf.org...

This country is in serious trouble. Our Empire of Debt has run its course.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Hey, I for one think that if this thing we call "economy" really does collapse, things can only get better. No more of this long, drawn-out suffering, worrying about tomorrow, thing..
But could it ever be replaced by something that "works"?

Hey, random thought.

How is sending MONEY to a country that has food SHORTAGES going to help? Bah. It is not that they cannot afford it, if that's the argument. It's implying that it simply isn't there.

EDIT: Ok, I correct myself. "shortages" are the argument being used here. I suppose this article is refering to COST. Still, crappy situation.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Don't worry it will be added to speculative bill of the next seven generations of our families to be born, after all speculating is what is hot in the markets now a days, lot of money to be make speculating

Why no using that money to help what its started the food crisis to begin with, the shortage on crops in the US, when a nation like ours that supplies the world with grains stop the flood in favor of ethanol because somebody is making profits out of it, then the only way to fix the problem is making more crops available to supply the need of the countries that depends on us.

This money will end up in the hands of the corrupted elite that controls the wealth in the nations with need.

As usual.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Something else just crossed my mind, They said on the news the other day that our dollar had reached an all time low, and like LostNemesis said if they are short on food what is money going to help them with, and how much could you actually buy with it?

Another interesting note
How come CNN or Fox isnt reporting this story?

[edit on 1-5-2008 by 4thefight]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Bush is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. You ppl are a tough crowd to please.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thefight
Something else just crossed my mind, They said on the news the other day that our dollar had reached an all time low, and like LostNemesis said if they are short on food what is money going to help them with, and how much could you actually buy with it?

The dollar is low against the Euro (which is killing the EU economys), the dollar still is very much so superior to third world currency's.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thefight

YAY!!!

3rd world countries will be fed!

YAY!!!

More 3rd world babies that can't be fed!

YAY!!!

And NEVER MIND the fact that our own food related welfare systems are collapsing. I mean, why should the American government help underprivileged American's eat?? .. Why should we use $770m to stock food pantries, to expand food stamps, to stock food kitchens and other homeless shelters..

When we can give it all to Egypt, Indonesia and Haiti.

Screw the 3rd world. Feed America.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

Bush is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. You ppl are a tough crowd to please.

I am not tough to please. It would be better if he used that money to help out our problems here is all I am saying. Our country may hit a food crisis ourselves, and I think with as much debt as we already have why send more over seas? Why not use that money here where it IS needed too?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
West, i gave you a star because your outfit is so appropriate and lovely.

Damn Bush.

Where is he pulling the money from, his rear?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hmmm DG doesn't look like it.

It would appear we will feed the 3rd world from us, the citizen's pockets.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Hmmm DG doesn't look like it.

It would appear we will feed the 3rd world from us, the citizen's pockets.

yup from borrowed money from china in which we will pay 3% interest on to give the 770 to someone else....

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Where is he pulling the money from, his rear?

No not his rear.

Our pockets

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join