It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Lawmakers want to make Fast Food A Sin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

New Jersey Lawmakers want to make Fast Food A Sin

sayanythingblog.com

The sputtering economy has caused an increase in prices of many staples including gasoline, rice, ice cream, even beer. Now some lawmakers in New Jersey are considering taking food taxes a step further and install a proverbial “sin” tax on fast food. . . .
The thought of taxing a Big Mac or a Wendy’s burger came up at a New Jersey Hospital Association meeting where Gov. Jon S. Corzine was asked if it could be an option to help fund struggling hospitals. At the meeting, he reportedly called it a “constructive suggestion.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is interesting. Seeing as how so many Americans eat fast food, I do not think that this would go over too well. But, maybe it would be a good idea as it may help to get people to start eating a bit healthier. Not too sure about the whole 'sin' thing though. What do you guys think? Would this be a good thing or not?

sayanythingblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Initial Headline is here

[edit on 5/1/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Enter the fast food lobbyists. I wonder what effect it would have on the wages of the poor people who work in these food outlets. Seems like more and more gov control of what people do in their life.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't really know about this. I hate taxes... but some of these people really do need to lay off of the fast food.

These fat kids that walk around weighing more than me is pissing me off.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The sputtering economy has caused an increase in prices of many staples including gasoline, rice, ice cream, even beer.

Where did the person get his/her information from?Prices are up in Canada but our economy is doing well.

Tax grabs are everywhere and now hospitals want to tax fast food?????Why not tax stuff off the shelf too???Read the list of additives,preservatives,aspartame etc. and tell me they don't contribute to obesity and possibly cancer.
MANY foods in a grocery store can be considered "fast food".

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen truth

Where did the person get his/her information from?Prices are up in Canada but our economy is doing well.

Well seeing as this article is about New Jersey.....You can then figure where he got his info. OUR ECONOMY SUCKS if you haven't noticed.
Plus, this only seems to be on a local government level. I would guess that this wouldn't take off in a major way. Making people healthier doesn't make hospitals money.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Canada is looking better everyday.Try to tax my Wendy's food..
I"LL KICK YOUR ASS!
Just another way to tax the people to death.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i wouldn't be surprised if that was a "staged" question. right now we are trying to "recall" gov. corzine. He is grasping for straws to raise income,,,because as is usual nj is in deep financial trouble. people are moving in floods because of crazy property taxes. he has also proposed to sell the nj turnpike to private investors. we mae money now, but would lose income for the tolls of future years,,, a stupid plan,,,,,get money now,,, get screwed later.

nj is screwed up,,,,and this is probably another ploy to bring in revenue

if your a nj resident visit recallcorzine.org and sign a petition!!!

nj is horrible and people can't afford to live here,,,,,to high housing prices,,high taxes,,,car insurance etc etc etc.

and for having the most people per square mile,,, we should be set,,, but our state gov't can't understand-----spend less---such a simple term

sorry about the rant,,, but fellow NJ ers will understand

PS one towns already high prop. taxes will triple next year----crazy!!!

top topics

join