It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Figure out this gravity related question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What would happen to a man inbetween two inhabital planets with gravity on the same orbit, where one planet follows the other planet, if their closest sides were just 10 feet away?

How would the man stand? Could he stand at all? Which planet's gravity would have him?...The planet in lead in the orbit or the planet in following in orbit? If neither, then would he be suspended and stretched in mid air between the two planets? Or would he be supended and crushed in mid air between the two planets?

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Mabus]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The two planets would not follow each other in orbit around their sun while maintaining a ten-foot distance from each other. They would collide. And collide rather forcefully.

Bodies in orbit are in an inertial state of rest. The two planets would act on each other (for all intents and purposes) as if they were the only two objects in the universe. They could not keep a constant distance from each other unless there was a very VERY strong force keeping them from smashing into each other.

The poor guy would be atomized in the collision, but it'd be quite a spectacle to view from afar.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I dont get how objects stay apart unless gravity of two objects creates anti-gravity where the gravities fartherest field part/aspect would collide and form an altering of order or make up.

I'm sure the force isnt the universe expanding to where objects must stay apart. I heard that from somewhere and I think they got it all wrong. I prolly stumbled onto having figured out the actual answer to why objects stay apart at far distance and wouldnt stay apart at close distance whenever one of two objects forced it's way through before gravities would alter to create anti-gravity in the nick of time. Thus they'd indeed collide then when not enough time because of a forced speed that would bypass any construction/creation of anti-gravity.

I could be on to something.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Mabus]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I dont get how objects stay apart unless gravity of two objects creates anti-gravity where the gravities fartherest field part/aspect would collide and form an altering of order or make up.

Bodies don't stay apart. They collide at every chance they get. If you were to have two planets so close to each other they would collide with an immense force.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This is just simple celestial mechanics. Objects ALWAYS attract each other and WILL collide when the conditions are right. To set an object such as satellite in orbit, you have to have an initial velocity (not toward the planet of course). You have two acceleration vectors that always change over the course of the orbit.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
As for the OP's original question, I'll work it out later
Im tired. It will of course be hypothetical planets and man.

new topics

top topics

join