It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom arrested in San Diego, 32 years after escaping Detroit prison

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

SAN DIEGO -- A woman who escaped from a Michigan prison 32 years ago has been arrested in San Diego, where she was married with three children and living under a false name, authorities said.

Sourcedrugpolicycentral.com...

What exactly do you with her?

Make her do her time and punish her family?

There's got to be other alternatives than to completely disrupt a family if she has been law abiding.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by gauncents]

[edit on 1-5-2008 by gauncents]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

An anonymous caller tipped Michigan officials to her location.

Obviously somebody had a beef with her, either that or just some overzealous wannabe crime fighter. As if she's somehow a threat to society. This is where the system clearly does more harm than good as it sees itself as more important than its purpose as that purpose has certainly been fulfilled at this point.

Those who wish to see this sentence fulfilled are themselves worthless to society as they and their wishes are more of a burden on society and in the end will make the world worse off than before they captured her.

There should be a statute of limitations for escapes with the possible exception of those convicted of heinous crimes. Then again that's really the problem with the war an drugs, isn't it? Some get 10 days and the next guy get 10 years for the same thing.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I've always believed that running away from any problem is useless - it just ends up catching up with you sometime later in life. But not that later!

[edit on 1/5/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
[Those who wish to see this sentence fulfilled are themselves worthless to society as they and their wishes are more of a burden on society and in the end will make the world worse off than before they captured her.

She committed a crime. She evaded her responsability for that crime by escaping. She needs to finish her sentance period. Its really that simple.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

It's more than just that. I believe prison is for rehabilitation. If she has be law abiding for 32 years. I believe that she has been rehabilitated. She may have been rehabilitated through family. We've been throwing criminals in prisons or prisons type facilities for hundreds if not, thousands of years.

Who's to say that maybe our present way of rehabilitating criminals needs to evolve a little.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
She got lucky and found a good husband and had three children. Something that most likely wouldn't of happened if she done her time. She should feel very lucky and blessed for that, but she still needs to do her time, plus charges of escaping from the prison which will add more time. I hate to see that happen because it looks like she turned her life completely around and has stayed away from trouble. Maybe a deal can be made for her who knows.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I don't know FredT, I might agree with you if it was a shorter time frame, not a drug crime, not someone who has turned their life around etc. The idea that one size fits all in crimes is half of what's wrong with our system. I suggest if its goal was only to punish her then she has been punished enough - as no doubt going through life looking behind your shoulder for 32 years.

The only purpose at this point is for those involved in the system to somehow save face with the adage "you will be assimilated our way or no way" which again is where they put themselves ahead of the society they were hired to serve.

I ask, are the courts and corrections there to serve and represent the people or themselves?

Originally posted by gauncents

Who's to say that maybe our present way of rehabilitating criminals needs to evolve a little.

Thank you for actually thinking about the big picture - that's the kind of thinking we need if we are going to advance further beyond the stupidity that exists today with our failed approach that has turned the United States into the prison capitol of the Earth.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I wonder if she has been working. If she has been, working that is, under a new identity...

...has she been paying taxes?

If she has a job, she's an asset someowhere not only to a company, but also a family.

Not really enough information to judge her one way or another.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I saw, on the news, the interview with her. She said that this has been a burden on her shoulders for all these years. Something she has had to live with and it hasnt been easy. As I can imagine.

Im sure she is relieved in a way, even though her having to sit in jail wont be pleasant....she has broken the law. But no more hiding. No more lying. NO more running. That has to be a relief!

Hopefully her family can forgive her for being lying to them all this time.

Too bad she had to do a crime and run from the law all those years ago. *shrug*

[edit on 1-5-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gauncents

No, now she's charged with fraud for living illegally under a false name. I'd like to erase my name and start new and erase my debt etc... So now she's done the crimes , but did no time? OK! What's wrong with that picture and who's name and social was she using?

I wanted to edit to say that I'm kind of playing Devil's advocate but she still did a crime and then escaped and then got a false identity and got benefits that others with the same crime didn't. Put yourself in another's position that did the same crime and suffered for ten years in prison with even shorten time for good behavior. They had to endure their mistakes.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
[Those who wish to see this sentence fulfilled are themselves worthless to society as they and their wishes are more of a burden on society and in the end will make the world worse off than before they captured her.

She committed a crime. She evaded her responsability for that crime by escaping. She needs to finish her sentance period. Its really that simple.

True, but what was the crime?

It almost seems like she has learnt from her mistakes and moved on to make a family etc.

Isn't that what prison is about keeping bad people out of the general poulation?
If she has changed and truly is a good person and has made a family of her own, should she really go back? Isn't prison about changing people to be like the way she is now?

But saying this I know very little about the situation, so I'm just giving a ignornat guess at what I think of the situation.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

If she had TRUELY learned from her mistakes and was sorry for what she did, she would have owned up to it all and turned herself in.

But she wasnt. She contined to run, to hide, to lie.

She got caught and rightly so.

I feel HORRIBLE - absolutely horrible for her family. My heart breaks for her husband and kids.

But it is HER fault. She is the one who ruined their life....if that is how they feel. Honestly, Im not sure I would be too forgiving if I was in her husband or kids shoes. But who knows, maybe iIwould. Im not in the situation....thank God

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It is a hard situation to judge the law or the crime. I would be heart broken if my wife did that but on the other hand, if she was a good wife, a good mother and a good friend who was ashamed of what she did and just couldn't tell the husband how lucky she was to find him and to have that chance to grow in love, family and friendship then what can you say? I hurt for her and her family, but I'm torn between the law, the lies and the illegal things she did to become who she is today.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by _Phoenix_

If she had TRUELY learned from her mistakes and was sorry for what she did, she would have owned up to it all and turned herself in.

But she wasnt. She contined to run, to hide, to lie.

She got caught and rightly so.

I feel HORRIBLE - absolutely horrible for her family. My heart breaks for her husband and kids.

But it is HER fault. She is the one who ruined their life....if that is how they feel. Honestly, Im not sure I would be too forgiving if I was in her husband or kids shoes. But who knows, maybe iIwould. Im not in the situation....thank God

Maybe the husband did know, but can't tell people because he may also be arrested.

And if I were her children I would be glad she did this, because if she didn't I wouldn't exist!! lol

And the husband would never even get the chance to even meet her.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

You are right! She never really owns up to who she actually is. She actually probably lived that lie for so long that she actually believed it herself.

Yep, I've changed my mind now. What a horrible thing to do to a person (her husband) knowing that she could get ripped away from him at any moment. Then to create life.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I say send her to the clink for a year. Then parole her. A year is doable, and won't destroy the family. But it's enough time for her to sit there and think about it. And parole sucks too.

Having said that, I am against prison sentences for drug crimes.

[edit on 5/1/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Not that long ago, some 62 year old man was busted in Las Vegas for the same reason.

The odd part of it was that he changed his name to Mr Free..

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
According to a radio newsreport I heard was that the judge and the governor were consulting, thinking about a pardon. I don't think this is the way to go however. I would give 6mos. to a year and probation for 5 years. She escaped the consequences by escaping prison. Karma strikes again

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
im no judge; but if her setence was to serve for 10-20 and given such charge at 19 her time of charge has been expended.not expired by the commercial sense of law but im sure there are precedents which would allow her another trial in light of her behaviour or the resultant changes in law. law would dictate a judgement on her choice to walk away from the correctional facilities so the case would be between her and the state of mi. if she has been a citizen in another name im sure this could be implicable in a new case pertaining the view her peers of citizens would have. if marshalls collected her in light of her charges maybe there is no intention of giving her a trial and the law has already been concrete in placing her in the same position she was in 20 years ago.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
in my opinion she should be left alone. If she has made it 32 years without being caught that means she is not on the radar. She isnt anything but a mother and a wife.

On top of that drugs are a victimless crime. Pedophiles see way less jail time then this woman had infront of her for drugs.

Put yourself in her place. How would you feel spending 20 years in prison for either putting something in your body or selling something to someone who wanted it so they could put it in their body.

Ontop of that the drug she had the sentence for is widely available today for medical patients with pain. It just has a different name thats all. Call it oxycontin, Hydrocodone or Morphine its all the same drug as she got a 20 year sentence for.

The only difference is no corporation made money off of her and the drug. Thats it. It's funny how people can get so self righteous over drug convictions when they could buy the same drug legally with a piece of paper that has a doctors signature on it.

On another level the drug she is being convicted for is trafficked into America mostly by the CIA. Now just think if you stopped making drugs a crime and legalized most of them the scummy parts of the government wouldnt be making that oh so profitable drug money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join