It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyelid twitching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok it's only after day 4 that I am posting to see if anyone has some information, advice or tips on just WHY my right eyelid insists on twitching constantly and what I may be able to do to stop it. It's driving me mad

From what I have read, stress and caffeine may do it and it usually goes away in a few days but goin on day 4 now is unnerving. If it goes on longer than a week should I be extra concerned ?
I have stopped my one cup of coffee a day and generally stay away from soda - I am craving coke for some unknown reason tho - don't usually drink sodas.
And I'm simply just not stressed about anything. I've actually been feelin' pretty good lately.

Anyone have this happen to them ?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
one cup of coffee is hardly anything to worry about, i dont think it would be caffiene induced, i can drink up to 8 cups in a day and ive never experienced any eye twitching.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

Hi ImJaded,

I have found that lack of good sleep and staring at a computer for long lengths of time will cause my eyes to twitch. Maybe so for you too?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I get that too from time to time and it always goes away eventually. Kind of embarrasing when your telling someone "Really believe me, Im telling the truth..." and the twitching goes into full blown winking mode...lol.

Seriously when that happens to me I honestly think it means someone is trying to back stab me or I am in for trouble and so take extra care to not do anything wrong, lol its the truth *twitch*

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Are you Winking at me?
back atcha!

Happens to me too. Stress, caffeine, then secondary stress factors, usually related to the worry of twitching eyelids.

It will go away..Get some rest my dear.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
According to a U.S. book first published in 1991, but which I just discovered and read last month, the most likely cause of twitching eyelid(s) is a deficiency in magnesium. Most modern processed food (such as we find in grocery stores, almost all restaurants, etc.) is deficient in magnesium. Additionally, carbonated soda drinks and refined sugars remove magnesium from the human body. So, as the title of that book says,

The Cure is in the Kitchen, by Sherry A. Rogers, M.D. (1991: Prestige Publishing) "Dr. Rogers is a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice, a Fellow of the American College of Allergy and Immunology and a Fellow and former Director of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine"

Here is a link for the website of Prestige Publishing, where you can buy a new copy of the book; I got my copy used on Amazon, however:

prestigepublishing.com...

According to Dr. Rogers and other sources, the U.S. government has done studies which show that the typical American diet supplies less than half of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of magnesium.

Signs of a magnesium deficiency can include muscle cramps, eye muscle twitches (bingo in your case), or more serious signs such as an irregular or accelerated heart beat.

Scientific literature contains a number of reports about how frequently physicians miss a magnesium deficiency ... there is no good test, and blood tests ("serum magnesium level") are not very reliable.

I worked in health care environments for 12 years, and I remain appalled at what was served as food in hospital cafeterias in that era. Hospital menus have now improved, but not that much, actually. Over a period of years I became skeptical about the ability of the medical establishment to really improve people's health over the long term.

So I started investigating some alternative dietary recommendations. Eat Right for Your (blood) Type was first, and I learned some things, but it was not revolutionary. Then I started to read literature about the macrobiotic diet, attended a macrobiotic cooking class, and became interested enough to spend time getting used to some of these new (or new to me) foods.

Since then (6 months), I have had zero eye twitches (which I often had previously for a long time). As you will see from doing some checking of nutrient info on macrobiotic basic foods, it is a nutrient-rich diet. In particular, whole grains and sea vegetables have astoundingly high levels of magnesium.

So, that was my speech for today. Hope this helps.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by Uphill]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

My eye does this when I am over stressed, and have not had enough sleep!
Thus I can say this happens to me often.. I try to stay clear minded, and not to stressed.. As you will find most stress is self induced.

If you let the little things build up on you.. They will become BIG stuff!

Breath.. Get a good nights rest.. And take some vitiams.. spelling? sry, to lazy to spell check right now...

My eye lids go wicked crazy.. And Im like man this feels so werid!
I try to get some meditation in when IM feeling like that at the end of the night..

Take a hot shower too! and let the water run on your face for a bit..
Or a bubble bath.. which ever works well to relax.

I could also mention taking muscle relaxers if you have a legal source..

But yeah, I can atest to having my eye lid freak out on me atleast once a month if not more!

I hope you get it under control.. It can be quite annoying!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thanks for your replies everyone

All of what was said makes sense and some does ring true for me - the last 3 years have been spent adjusting to a diet of American foods, which a lot of the time make me feel unwell and I have had to cope with a wide array of things I don't usually experience back home.

I do tend to stay up late a lot now that I don't work over here and I do spend a lot of time on the laptop.
I feel much better today after the first good night's sleep I've had in over a week so I think it may have been my sleep patterns. Alas, the twitching is still going, not as strong as it has been though so I hope it is deciding to leave soon

I will also be sure to start taking my vitamins regularly, I am more than sure I am not getting the nutrients I should be from what I have been eating and will try to exercise more. Cheers for that link and info Uphill

I appreciate all the information and advice

Cheers.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Im Jaded

Im sorry but this thread makes me giggle and laugh. It s good to know your not alone right? When this first started I thought it was something serious like paulsey or something really bad. And when I would try and show someone Id say look and it would stop until they looked away. Yes the best remedy is relax and know it is a common occurrence.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I can't help but laugh myself, as crazy as I feel, laughing about it as I do just make me LOOK crazy too I am sure

I have been trying to show my husband and it will NEVER twitch when he looks lmao and I just feel like an idiot haha

It really does help to know this is a common ailment, I honestly thought something was wrong when it was happening the 2nd day and then even the third. It is still going and I am pondering seeing my doc just to be sure - something has been telling me to get a physical done due to everything tha has been goin on with me lately (cold sores, outbreak of pimples and such)

I was wondering also, if perhaps increased alcohol consumption may be a cause ? I have been drinking a little more than usual lately, but it only helps me to relax
hehe. I am also short sighted and wear glasses and contact lenses (occasionally).
Not sure if any of that info helps to ascertain why this is happening, but I will see how I go tomorrow, if it persists I will contact my doc.

Thanks for your replies antar, you guys really have helped me to relax about this a lot more now

[edit on 2-5-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
happens to me too here and there. i also get it in my thumb/hand. not as often, but same thing. my thumb will just start twitching out of nowhere. really distrubing. =)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I found a U.S. government health webpage whose answers on the role of magnesium in human nutrition I mostly agree with. The site claims this page was last updated January 30, 2005. Here is that link:

ods.od.nih.gov...

If anyone is thinking of taking magnesium in a supplement form, that page contains the current U.S. guidelines on Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for magnesium. They show, for example, that the RDA varies both by gender and by age, so be aware of which RDA guideline applies to you personally.

For instance, taking too much magnesium for your age/gender is associated with subsequent diarrhea. So, "don't go there." When in doubt, start with the smaller strength first, with chelated forms often being easier on the digestive organs. Magnesium is also best tolerated by your digestive system when you take that pill or capsule along with a meal.

While the above web page's summary of the physical signs associated with low magnesium levels agrees with other sources I checked, their "risk factor" section should be expanded to include the habitual consumption of (over) processed food (i.e., most supermarket or grocery types of packaged food) with the classic example being any refined grain products (where the outer covering of each grain is removed and replaced with so-called enrichment which really just re-adds a few vitamins). Similarly, "risk factors" should also include frequent consumption of restaurant food ... after all, how many restaurants do you know which offer whole grain foods, or offer any dark green vegetables beyond spinach and broccoli?? ... very few, in my experience and travels. If this opinion seems over-harsh, consider that a number of health research studies over the years have found that as much as 80% of the U.S. population shows a deficiency in magnesium. We're not talking epidemic here, we're talking pandemic.

Ideally, before starting yourself on magnesium in supplement form, get a specific blood test done at your doctor's office, called an "RBC magnesium" test. RBC = red blood cell. Standard blood tests for magnesium level (often referred to in medicalspeak as serum magnesium level) are notoriously unreliable, so don't waste your money on those. The RBC magnesium test, which measures the intra-cellular level of magnesium, is an authoritative test. If it turns out that your magnesium level is in fact super-low, magnesium supplementation can be started off with a series of shots, if medically indicated.

And if you do a lot of physical work-outs, be aware that a certain amount of magnesium is lost in sweat. Authoritative sports medicine sources can advise you more specifically on your nutritional needs for various sport, recreation, and fitness activities.

[edit on 5/6/2008 by Uphill]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
sometimes my eyelid twiches when i'm having a cigarette.. i haven't figured it out yet..

it usually only happens during the first one of the day too

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Nah, you don't need to be concerned, I have this happen from time to time and yes it's stress... mostly from my experiences it goes away and you forget you even had it... just one of those things I spose... You are going to be ok... =) mmmhhmmm =)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Thank you everyone! Your input helped immensely

It finally stopped after 3 1/2 weeks !

Long time but I saw my optometrist a week ago and he said it is fine, a normal occurrence and not to be concerned, stress will do it to ya so that as well as talking about it on here and hearing your views helped me relax about it more.

Cheers guys

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

Actually, I have a semi-chronic twitch in my left eye.
Nothing really noticeable to the average onlooker, but I can feel it.
There are some studies that say that it is a lack of a certain B vitamin, but it could be just about anything.
Electrolyte imbalance.
Dehydration.
Excess or insufficiency of a hormone.
Who really knows.
However, it is becoming more and more common.
I've spoken with several people who share the same twitch.
Perhaps it's a sign of the apocalypse.
?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure if you still care about this but I was in Cambodia last year and they have different explanations for eye twitches depending on which eye is kicking off...
I am in Rio at the mo' but shall be back in Italy (where my books are) in a couple of weeks and will forward the full info'.
The Cambodians are adamant for example that when the (left??) eye twitches then it is a forewarning that something auspicious is about to happen in your life. If the other eye twitches however, that would indicate that somebody of great importance to your life is about to arrive.

As I say, maybe I have it wrong here but I will clarify soon.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

I've had my eyelid twitch for over 2 months before. I was EXTREMELY stressed at the time. I honestly wanted to just cut my eyelid off but I wasn't prepared to never blink again. It is like Chinese Water Torture.... horrible.

I feel for you.

new topics

top topics

join