It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if there are no 'write-in' options at the ballot box?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Again and again, dozens if not hundreds of posters declare defiantly "I will just write-in Ron Paul" citing their refusal to accept the 'Party' line.

Over and over people express the notion that this will, at least in theory, make a statement which will be recognized by all. The premise, of course, is that those who feel disenfranchised believe their numbers to be too large to ignore, and they may reveal numerically just how marginalized they were by the Republican party.

I fear that they are all to be greatly disappointed. I am not making it a secret that I hope I am wrong.

Prompted by my genuine lack of recollection of EVER seeing a write-in option at the ballot box, I began to research just what to expect. I fear that I have discovered there really is no 'write-in' option at all (with the exception of absentee ballots).

The write-in seemed to be an acceptable 'absentee' courtesy, since timing and other factors have to be considered for the substantial number of Americans overseas during the process. (Sadly, recent events have caused some to distrust the 'absentee ballot' handling process and thus even attempting to secure and use one while not physically absent is no guarantee your vote will be heard.)

Also, the write-in votes would necessarily be counted by hand. This raises another level of 'accuracy' and 'validity' questions, as well as the extra time it would take to secure a consensus on the final number.

Lastly, with the advent of mechanical and electronic voting equipment, the write-in option seems to have 'vanished' from the interface. Either because of systemic oversight, or simply a 'decision' that those votes were never relevant enough to merit accommodation.

I ask ATSers to please add there thoughts and perhaps educate us all on what we can expect, especially if they have better information than I have been able to provide. The only source I have to link is a very weak one, replete with built-in bias - the kind of thing that reinforces the 'meme' that not going along the 'predetermined' party candidates is 'a waste of time.'

The Wiki on "Write-in Candidates'

I don't want to accept that, once again, the electorate has been 'controlled' by a system engineered by the political organization which has brought us to the current state we are in. I confess, I am not among those who will say "It's all good. Relax."

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I apologize for mis-posting this thread on the breaking news section of the board. Thank you. I suppose no one see the write-in issue as noteworthy. That, in and of itself, is an interesting point.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hmmm, the Wiki article didn't seem too biased. Lots of examples of people who attempted a write in campaign and more or less failed, but attempted it none the less

My guess is that the idea behind a write in campaign is to raise awareness of Ron Paul and his ideas, rather than actually secure him a place in office.

When it comes down to it, they can't stop anyone for casting their vote however they want. When it comes down to it, they may discard and ignore every single person who voted for him as a write in candidate. But the truth will be that a number of people, disregarding the handed down and predetermined candidates given to us by the Dem/Rep, will stand up and say that they aren't satisfied with the provided options.

Whether it will have any impact on anything at all, whatsoever, who knows
But the more and more I read, the more and more I think I'll be writing his name in, as well

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
we do have the electronic voting machines here in Kentucky.

I was just planning on bringing a permanent marker with me, so if there wasn't an option for me to select Ron Paul, I could just scribble his name in large letters across the entire machine.

I don't care what anyone says, If I want to vote for Ron Paul, I am going to; and no Federal force on the Earth will stop me.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I just stumbled across this thread via your signature.

Write-in votes should be absolutely possible in every election. That is the American way. I don't care if it takes an extra week to count the ballots; it only happens once every year maximum.

Once the write-in option is mandatory, and promoted, then it will become a more effective tool for us voters.

Starred and flagged, Maxmars.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Thank you kindly. I am still uncertain of how this will play out. I certainly hope to find the option exists. I also believe that it is a Constitutional prerogative to be able to vote for whom one chooses, and party membership is not a requirement. So I should be able to write in whoever I please.

Yet, the media is silent on the matter, and my queries to electoral officials have gone unanswered.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Here are a couple of pages, related to write-in candidacy.

Interesting that one is a site supporting Hillary, the other supports Ron Paul.
The media walked away from BOTH of them, once Obamamania kicked in.
My state (NV) does not allow write-ins at all, during presidential elections.

I encourage everyone to talk a look at these links, and consider ALL options.

www.writehillaryin.com...
mfoster.com...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would say:

If "they" try confine your vote to one of two parties that you do not condone, then do not allow them your vote.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Here are a couple of pages, related to write-in candidacy.

Interesting that one is a site supporting Hillary, the other supports Ron Paul.
The media walked away from BOTH of them, once Obamamania kicked in.
My state (NV) does not allow write-ins at all, during presidential elections.

I encourage everyone to talk a look at these links, and consider ALL options.

www.writehillaryin.com...
mfoster.com...

[edit on 6-10-2008 by spacedoubt]

How can they not 'allow' it? I mean, is there some policy or law in the state 'prohibiting' a write in?

MM

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Nevada law prohibits write-ins. yep.
Here is another link, for you and others curious about your states rules.

writein2008.blogspot.com...

Maxmars..All we get is a box that says "none of the above". That is our write-in.
If you try to write in a candidate, it won't be counted. Third party candidates will be on the ballot though.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thank you!

Looks like NY is a no-go for a "write in". Unless you jump through a bureaucratic hoop.

I wonder if I could get Ron Paul to run?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Just a suggestion from an Aussie friend:

Check out our proportional representation system and see if you like it. It means no more wasted votes, because your vote gets passed onto a candidate who can win, but in return that candidate agrees to follow some policies of the unsuccessful politician who passed on her preferences.

If you like this system, pressure all your politicians into bringing it in. It helps break up the Gog and Magog system and returns some power to the people.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Prologue :

Ok guys , I am your security now for the next 6 months so just call me in person if ya need me . I represent the Juctice Ministers office for the Government of Northern British Columbia .

Spooky is the Minister of Forestry and Mining for the new current Administration of the Government of Northern British Columbia .

I am spooky security , just call ...

top topics

join