It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone sick of this crap?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
*Looks, Listens, Learns*

You can learn from stupidity if you know how to look at it, but you can learn an awful lot more by questioning that stupidity.

To the OP - Next time you find a thread that you feel is counter-productive to... What exactly is it you're aiming for again? - Nevermind, just make sure that your opinion is known.

In many cases simply by showing your disapproval you open up the thread to new possibilities - it's just important to learn to recognise the difference between a statement that closes the discussion and a statement that promotes the discussion; E.g;

"X is obviously acting in his own interests" - This is a closing statement, and as such probably should not be seen in the first few posts.

"X Seems to be acting in his own interests" - This is a provoking statement, one that causes people to think for themselves over whether or not Mr. X is infact acting in his own interests.

Avoid the closing statements - they are made by people who have already made up their minds and are posting only in an attempt to sway the other person to their belief, or in otherwords - promoting propoganda.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

To the OP - Next time you find a thread that you feel is counter-productive to... What exactly is it you're aiming for again? - Nevermind, just make sure that your opinion is known.

In many cases simply by showing your disapproval you open up the thread to new possibilities - it's just important to learn to recognise the difference between a statement that closes the discussion and a statement that promotes the discussion; E.g;

Avoid the closing statements - they are made by people who have already made up their minds and are posting only in an attempt to sway the other person to their belief, or in otherwords - promoting propoganda.

To reply to a thread that I find ridiculous would only intrench the self important view of the poster. If the poster wanted to debate their idea for the purposes of making it more refined then the post would be a question, or at least a proposal. Anyone involved in seeking the truth wouldnt make a statement with absolute steadfast conviction. Especially something theoretical. I can discern what I think is crap and what i would like to discuss or debate. Making my opinion known for its own sake, is no better than the person posting it in the first place. My point is that debating with someone who dosent leave space for a change in their view is not a debate at all, its an argument, both sides leaving little room for a change in stance or the furthering of an idea, except in their own minds. The amount of posts here telling me that there are diamonds in the rough is not really addressing my question.

What Im asking is if you truly believe what you are discussing here, at least in part, what are you doing to create a momentum to change the injustices, the things you discuss so passionately? In a site as diverse in its topics there will never be a consensus by 100% of the community. Nor should there be. But discussion and debate can continue on much like the retiree on the porch, keeping the mind sharp in the inevitable decline of the physical reality.

Anti -Tyrant, you talk about showing your disaproval, or promoting or closing the discussion, which is something I learnt in grade 8 drama class. My question is what are you doing to promote action? If you talk about all these problems and dont act arent you just paying lip service to your own existence? Its hard to get people to act as a group in reality when their beliefs are so disparate, but to 'deny ignorance' you have to act to ensure that the ignorant dont make your external reality incongruous with what you know to be true internally. If you start to debate the solution to a problem then the method in which it can be delivered is only a step away, identifying the problem or potential problem in itself is as weak as being ignorant of it. The internet can be the greatest communication tool known to man, or the prison in which we are locked forever recycling the depressing mind stuff so far removed from our actual reality.

In a society where people look for someone else to do everything, but complain in the manner in which it is done, I think its hard to not feel guilty about the inaction but im not trying to blame or provoke anything but a discussion on what ideas you might have to fix the problems. Not so much the direct actions themselves, but ideas that would enable people to become involved in a change rather than the sitting around and talking about it. If I was a tyrant, inaction would be my biggest ally.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by futureblind

You got that 100% right on my friend. My primary scans show there is no clear indication of any intelligent life here. But, beware, many will try to impress and bully with facts and figures that in and of themselves proves nothing!
Futher investigation shows, that one out a thousand posts actually makes any sense, and is worth reading. Most is nonsense.
Links can be useful, and will require more digging of the facts.

There have been some really great discussions on this board. All to often, it degenerates into crapola.
Conspiracy theories should never be taken seriously, and that is what is here more often than not. Spook and ghost stories with a new age twist!

I wish there was more real hard core investigative reporting and backup facts presented, and not hoaxes, computer generated graphics and altered pictures and YOU TUBED stories.
Don't get me wrong, YOU TUBE does report some rather profound stuff, but again, most is hyperbole and crap. Much of it to extreme and sick to be allowed on an open format. ( like teen girls plotting and jumping another gal, just to beat the living daylights out of her while recording it, so that they could post it on YOU TUBE, and hope that they can be famous ) I'm glad the law is throwing the book at them for that stunt.
There have been rape video's reported, but, I think that is an URBAN legend! That site needs to clean up it's act!

ATS has a good premise. It could be a premiere site for hard core news that you couldn't get anywhere else. Unfortunately,it has gotten out of hand, as you can clearly see.

So now, you have to pick and chose what you think is worthy of your time.
Very little of it is I am afraid...

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by futureblind ... Surely there will always be attention seekers and individuals who miss the real point, but unless there is some sort of collation of accepted ideas, then this useless pseudo intellectual war will continue ... The truth is self evident in a group who uses logical and insightful ways to get across their ideas, and ignores the ramblings of the ego ... I think there needs to be a change on the level of the individual if there is to be a change on a mass scale.

These are the statements that caught my attention in your post. While I would agree there needs to be logical analysis and synthesis of thought employed by the individual, it should be advanced as an individual exercise, and not advanced as the result of a coalition to conform to any one thought process. Does this remind you of any period in our recent history?

Any attempt to minimize ramblings would require a "thought and speech police" in order to comply with a board appointed to overseeing the consensus of acceptable thinking. Here in America this raises the hairs on the backs of our red white and blue necks. Isn't this rather restrictive and dangerous? I don't know about the constitution of Australia, but here in the U.S. our freedom of speech is still in force. As Voltaire said, "I do not agree with any of your words, but I defend your right to say them."

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Yes, I'm sick of crap, too. Who isn't? It's on all such discussion boards, but this one, actually, is one of gentler ones. A good thing has been repeating itself lately and that is regarding the need for us to work on our own spiritual health.

Whatever you do, '___', pray, meditate, martial arts... keep writing. I hate the conspiracy thing, too and I think the Mason's are just another stuffy club that has been grated the cloak of mystique by time itself... like the Bible. But the debate regarding them and other topics seems to bring out the facts.

Again, keep those keyboards clicking. (you might even find love through these machines... I did... and she kicked my ass, but I have no regrets). If it's the end of the world, I'd rather hear about on ATS than Fox Conservative News.

Paul
(end of comm) (oxoxo)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join