It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First handgun, thinking of a High Point C9, what do you suggest?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

I have owned a highpoint 9mm since 2002. I have put 500 rounds through it. I was told by the guy who ran the gun range it would be a POS, after 200 rounds out of the box he had nothing to say. The gun only jamed once and that was after shooting 5mins in a heavy dounpour with no cover. Since it does not rain indoors I don't beleive that should be a problem. I clean it after shooting and lightly oil the action and I have have had no problems. I am an ex-law enforcement officer. I have been shooting hand guns. for over 20 years. Practice to include clearing malfunctions will save your life more than anything, all guns have the ability to misfire. good luck.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I own both a Hi Point C9 and the 995 carbine. Both have been stone reliable for me. They aren't overpriced bling - nobody is gonna ohh and ahhh over either one of them gleaming in the sunlight. What they are is accurate and reliable. That is what I consider to be the definition of a good gun. If it's junk in your book because it doesn't look like a piece of jewelry - then good for you. I buy things based upon how well they work - not on how shiny and expensive looking they are.

You C9 bashers are either 1) lying, 2) relaying someone else's snob BS story, or 3) witnessed a C9 being fired by a total limp wristed idiot.

My experience with the C9 is that they simply DON'T jam when properly used and cared for. Absolutely not a junk gun by MY definition. If you need to justify your expensive purchase by bashing someone else who did more research than you did - well, go ahead and keep deluding yourself.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
An old post but I'll offer my 2 cents. If all your looking at is home defense, get a 20 guage if you girlfriend will be shooting it. Trust me, she'll thank you over the 12 and a 20 guage will stop the biggest of big bastards in his tracks. If you watch you can get new mossbergs under $200. If your goal is other than that it's a personal choice. 22 is my personal favorite rifle. Shells are cheap enough for field mouse hunting and lethal enough to easily kill a deer or man with a moderately well placed shot. Bang for you buck a 22 simply can't be beat.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Buying a Gun is like buying a car. You pic the best and coolest one you can find.

My first pistol was a Glock 19. I got that as a issued gun when i was a combat diver recruit in 1991.

In the beginning i had no clue on what gun was better then the other. I saw my instructors each had a different kind. And i asked why!!

Well there was two reasons.

1.Their hand movement. Some have a stiffer hand joints then others.

2. The grippe. Some had bigger hands then others.

My hands where quite normal size and with normal movement. I could use a little gun with a smaller grip and a bigger gun with a bigger grippe.

The first thing we learned was how to use the gun. And in the beginning only that gun.
We where thought how to pic up the gun.How to hold the gun.How to stand with it. How to move with it. How to aim and how to squeeze the trigger.

We where also thought how to recover from a failed reload.Change mags and so on. We where thought not to trust any gun.

From experience with about 100 different types of pistols. I cant trust any gun but only my knowledge on how to fix the problems that could happen under use. You are the guns safety and success. You have to learn how to use your gun.

But there is a few favours that are preferred. And that is a gun with a lot of bullets. The more it can hold the longer it can be used without a mag change. A Mag change means you have to stop shooting for a moment. It could also cause other problems. Los of target and so on.

And a dark gun is better then a shiny one. If you prefer to stay hidden.

A gun made of metal can also make your hand cold and stiff. Not good for the feeling you need to use it proper. if your hands hurt the pain will take your mind away from the job needed to be done proper.

Some Guns are bigger and longer then others. But that's not a problem if you know tactics within the environment your in.

A gun with a longer barrel is better for targets that is further a way. But all that depends on your ability to use the gun proper.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I just qualified yesterday with a Smith & Wesson 22A-1. My buddies used the following in qualification: Beretta 22, Ruger 9mm, and Hi-Point 9mm. My Smith & Wesson was only $240 but is only a target gun. I have a Ruger 357 mag revolver that I carry. Its quick, easy, weighted just right, and no jams. The Hi-Point 9mm that my buddy used fired accurately. He did have 1 jam in the 48 rounds we shot in qualifying but so did the Ruger 9mm. My S&W and my other friends Beretta had no jams. The best 2 semi-auto guns on the range yesterday were the Glock and also a Smith & Wesson 9mm. The S&W 9mm was only $380 (east TN price) and fired true with no jams.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i know im late to the party here but i wanted to toss out something that hasnt been mentioned.. (that i saw)

Kel-tec seems to offer a decent pistol for a good price.(the PF9) not as cheap as the hipoint but probably better quality.
en.wikipedia.org...

i personally carry a springfield armory xd40 daily but i have been considering the keltec for the wifey. i've seen them locally for $230

good luck either way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join