It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First handgun, thinking of a High Point C9, what do you suggest?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by schism85

the c9 pistol is the way better choice i own 2 of them and i havent had 1 mess up

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If your heart is set on a handgun, I would recommend a Sig, but I would recommend that because that is my personal pref. You really need to go and shoot a few different handguns and decide which fits you best, no two people are likely to settle on the same make and caliber usually. That said I just feel Sig gives you your money's worth like no other.

Second, if home defense is your main objective don't use a handgun. Get a Shotgun and use #1 Buckshot.

a: the cock of a shot gun is universal in all languages for "you better run as fast as you can from my house"

b: A shot gun WILL put down ANYONE in their tracks. Consider this, each ball of #1 shot is about equal to a 9mm bullet. However all will hit at once and in a house all will hit within a 2 inch goup most likely. (you do have to aim regardless of what video games tell you about shotguns) Basically one shot from a shot gun can equal a full clip from a 9mm submachine gun all in one shot.....you can't own a SMG easily, and if you did you'd go through hell if you used it even in self defense....but one shot from a shot gun will be as devestating as a full burst of any SMG. Just remember in real life shot guns shoot in narrow cones, and go through many walls....you have to respect it and practice with it as such.

Shotgun still wins hands down in my book for home protection.

Get the sig for your concealed carry permit.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I do not suggest a Hi Point for anyone because I own one. They are nothing more than cheap toys for wannabe gangsters and throwdown pistols for bad cops. The 9mm carbine I have is inaccurate and unreliable, as are most of the HiPoint line I have shot. If you are dead set on a pistol, I would suggest a revolver of the .38 or .357 cal. Taurus makes a good affordable line and has a lifetime guarantee. Revolvers are the safest and can be fired one handed without thinking in a clutch situation. Unless you want to walk or ride around with a chambered round in a semi auto or use two hands chambering one, I would go with a revolver as a first option with conceal carry or vehicle use. Try chambering or reloading that Hipoint with one hand.I carry a Taurus 617.

Now if your dead set on a semi auto my personal favorite is the standard 1911A1. Excellent firearm and reliable. Also if you want, in my humble opinion, the best affordable modern semi, hands down would be the Springfield XD .45.
The best quality for the money in a semi and I love mine.

Just my 2 cents from an armed dissident.

Taurus Model 617

Springfield XD

Oh yes, I agree with ForkandSpoon. A 12 ga shotgun is the best for home defense. Actually I would suggest it before a handgun.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by shai hulud]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by shai hulud]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
2 things to think about with a hand gun. #1 it is very different when adrenilan is going cops go thru several clips sometimes and not hit anything. #2 cost you do get what you pay for. In my humble opinion one of the most unsettling sounds to hear is cha chink. (The sound of a 12 gauge buck shot shell being chambered.) With that at 15 to 20 yards you can take a person out no problem even if you are nervous. i personally like a 12 gauge Ithica Deer Slayer.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Bludrgon]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sig P220 with extended clip holds 11
I carry that and 2 X 7 round backups
Side arms and Audio gear go with German made.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I know this is a little late to reply, but I just wanted to defend the Highpoint c9 9mm...I just purchased one, and actually had it out today shooting. I love it. The c9 is very reliable and would make a great first handgun. I just shot about 70 rounds through mine today. No jams, no misfires, no problems. I shot 9 round and had a 4 inch group at 35 yards. No #. I wouldn't consider myself an experienced shooter either. I don't have any extras at all. Just stock gun. I personally don't think you could ask much more of any handgun. 4 inch group at 35 yards.

I would recommend the Highpoint c9 to anyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have a new High-point 9mm pistol that I just purchased. My Best friend (retired police officer), tried to talk me into not getting the "cheap" High-point, and purchase a Sig Mosquito. After taking both guns to the range, the cheap High point worked flawlessly, and my buddies Sig is going back to the dealer after jamming multiple times. I think the earlier version High Points give the newer guns a bad rap. May I suggest to some of the experts that are down on the High-point to try one of the newer guns before knocking them.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I own a highpoint c9, and if I were you I would be me a gun you could count on if needed. The c9 has a nice trigger pull and feels good. but the rounds jam while loading into the chamber. At least once every clip used. If you were caught in a jam and had to count on the c9 to save your life you would lose. Spend the hundred dollars more and buy a good gun, not a highpoint.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Sig ARms for me. but try it out first and feel of them but do watch one that is going to jam up on you. I go to gunbroker.com to for some good information and deals.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
People like to confuse Hi-Point for Bryco's and Jimenez pistols which are crap.

Hi-Point has improved it's quality over the last decade and are trully reliable firearms, I am willing to say that my .40cal pistol is more reliable than your average Glock, S&W, Ruger etc.

If you haven't shot a Hi-Point in the last 5 years you have no idea on it's performance and it is a superb home defense firearm, only the gun snobs and gun dealers talk smack about the hi-point firearms series.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Most any semi automatic pistol can malfunction, quality brand or not, if your wrist is held too limp when firing. Semis rely on a firm grip to cycle reliably, and I was turned off from semi autos when I first shot one limp wristing (a Glock 32 if you need to know), but soon after I learned that you need a stiff wrist when shooting I haven't had a problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I literally watched one of my fellow officers magazines fall out of his when he dismounted a vehicle. I also noted that the firing pin was scratching the primer.I cannot in anyway endorse this firearm for safety, reliability or even usefulness. To me it is an exspensive rock.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The only reason anyone has to even consider a hi-point is they're either on a budget too tight for quality or they're cheap and think "a gun is a gun is a gun."

I have nothing against picking up a hi-point if you're looking for something cheap to shoot, want it just to experiment modifications with, or you're new to the game and dont know if you'll stick with it long enough to warrant a $400-$700 purchase.

Buy one for fun. Buy one to shoot. Dont buy one to carry for protection and dont buy one for home-d. If your budget is really tight pick up a pump shotgun for less that the hi-point for home-d. Visit a bunch of shops and you can eventually find a nice used gun at a great price for carry.

Entrusting your life to a high-point or even a kel-tec for that matter is risky business.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

the 9mm carbine? i have one, without the kit with the custom stock and such, just the plain jane carbine with a cheap scope. i love it. i got it for $200 (scope included) and it has never jammed in over 2 years of use, is consistent, and kicks very little. my ten year old brother loves to shoot it as well. great, cheap gun, ideal for someone who doesnt really care about the looks and doesnt wanna blow their wallet. 9.5/10.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
my first handgun was a Sig. SP2340. i liked it at first and later decided it wasn't for me. it was a good gun but the comfort wasn't there. as time went by i spent a fortune on a kimber. kimber is very good but very expensive. i had a ruger P-90 that i liked quite a bit. i think i paid something like 150 bucks for it used. it was also a good weapon. typically you can purchase a good quality weapon used if you know what your looking for.

as one poster mentioned it would probably be a good idea to get a revolver if you dont have much firearms experience. there is much less to figure out and they tend to be very reliable. since its for defense of your home and loved ones that's one feature you cant afford to skimp on.

i would suggest going to a gun shop that has an indoor range if you have one out there and possibly try several different pistols. ive found that many times, at one shop in particular here, that i can fire a weapon im interested in. the local shop owner usually keeps one aside for customers to try out.

i wish you luck on finding the right weapon.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
In the case of the hi point it is a bargain and a gamble. Go to walmart buy a pump action 12 gauge preferably with an 18 in barrel and rest comfortable at night. If you must have a handgun get a glock. Why? Simple the glock WILL go bang the hi point MIGHT go bang a differnce well worth the 350 price diff.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I own 2 high point pistols. One is the 2 1/2 inch and the other is a 4 inch. I have had a lot of problems with jams. I am quite handy, so I partially siassembled the 2 1/2 inch and looked for problems. I fount the machining on the extractor to be horrible. I did a little work on it and now it fires very well. If you do purchase one, I would recommend taking it to a good gun smith and have it reworked. Unless you are a good machinist, I would nor recommend trying this yourself. Especially if it is you first gun with little experience. Thesae are not toys!!! Get some training and practice and practice and then practice some more. It can be very enjoyable. Good luck.
Bill

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We own 4 Hi-Points,a .45,.9mm,.380 and the carbine,,for the price, they're fairly good guns,never paid more than $150 for the pistols and paid $200 for carbine...They are kind of bulky and heavy feeling compared top of the line pistols......The only problem I've had was with the clips and they were replaced for nothing...one with the 9 and one with the 45...other than that they shoot fine

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hi-Points are crap, plain and simple! I have buddies that have them and they jam constantly. Not something you need to have happen when defending your home.

Glocks are good if you like plastic guns - personally, I don't. Sig Sauer makes the best, most reliable hand guns on the market. That is why everyone from the CIA and Homeland Security to the Navy Seals carry them. They are also expensive, so look for a used factory restored model. These are usually police sidearms that have been traded back in as most police departments do. The Sig armorers completely retool the gun to being almost back to new. The only thing I've noticed on them is holster wear which a new nitron coating can fix.

My caliber of choice is the .40 S&W. No time to explain why, but let's just say it was co developed by the CIA and FBI. It is an extremely efficient round with huge stopping power.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join