It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First handgun, thinking of a High Point C9, what do you suggest?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I am purchasing my first handgun in a month, and was wondering what you guys would suggest? Iam getting a handgun for home protection, and for recreation, and was thinking about the cost effective High Point C9 handgun with a laser and compensator. Does anybody on here have any suggestions for me, or experiences with this type of handgun? I was also thinking of getting a .38 or a .45 revolver, no specific brand in mind, do you have any suggestions or experiences with that type of gun also? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done some research on the High Points and they seem to have a bad rep. Why? Iam 205lbs. and about 5'11", with small hands, what would you suggest?

Iam also thinking of a .22 mag rifile, for my first rifile, any suggestions?

Please keep in mind I am on a tight budget, so cost is a big thing for me, but I won't mind spending a little extra for the right firearm.

I apollogize to the mods if this is on the wrong board, I thought this one would fit.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by schism85]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
My brother in law has one of those c9 pistols, and it is an absolute P.O.S.

I don't get why HiPoint did such a sloppy job with their pistols, since their carbine is basically the same layout and it is superb. As a matter of fact, if you can find a HiPoint 9mm carbine for around $200 give or take, buy it. It would be great for home defense. 16" barrel, excellent peep sights, and 10 round magazine.

If your really set on a pistol though, go pick up a copy of Shotgun News at Wal-Mart or where ever you buy magazines. They have been running an ad for Sig P225s for a fairly good price.

Actually, here is a good link to one for a decent price, just find a local FFL holder and your all set! Good luck, and welcome to the armed community!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I saw the 9mm carbine online and they looked sweet. Are they reliable? The price for one of them is nice too. I will keep that in mind. I will check out the Sigs p225 as well, thanks for the advice and for the link.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
IMHO, the 9mm carbine is what a home defense weapon SHOULD be. light, quick, easy to handle, reliable, and only 10 round capacity so in a worst case scenario, it won't instantly turn a jury against you. Add a light to it, and it's everything a home defense weapon should be.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of using handguns in home defense. They are meant to be a side arm, not a defensive weapon. A shotgun or a carbine is more ideal for defending against home invasion, a handgun is better for walking around town.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

I own several Hi-Point C9 pistols as well as the 995 carbines, and I love them. anyone who says the C9 is a POS, obviously has never shot one of the newer polymer frame models.

They are a bit bulky, but I have only medium-sized hands, and I have no problem comfortably holding one. As for reliability and accuracy, they can't be beat. To get a comparable gun, you'd have to spend at least twice as much.

As for the rifle, why not just get a plain .22 model? The rifle will be less expensive, and the ammo will be cheap and plentiful (more practice). A Ruger 10/22 is an excellent choice, and a proven performer. They can still be had for under $200.

As for the .38 and the .45, I have no opinion on which make or model to choose. I've never cared for either caliber. A .38 is underpowered and the .45 is overkill in my opinion.

Whatever you choose, remember to practice, practice, practice with it. If you are not familiar with how it works and you can't hit anything, it'll be useless to you in an emergency.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think I will check out the C9 as well. Its just so cheap, and I have heard alot of good things about the new polymer frames and about how acurate and reliable they are. I will try a Ruger 10/22, sounds like a good choice. I'am really interested in the 9mm Carbine as well. There are just too damn many to choose from.
I guess I will know what I like when Iam actually holding it, but I wan't to go in there with an idea of what I want.

There is a range close by my house that I will be shooting at soon. I will practice, as well as my girlfriend. We both need to be ready should the worse happen. Also, I am keeping in mind sitx, as I will need to be gun saavy should sitx occur. Thanks for the advice.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
in my opinion hi points are cheap guns and could get you killed, how? by jamming. I have bought 2 hi points 1 a 9mm and 1 45cal. the reason the price, they were both 189.00 each. as for as a controlled situation they are fine for target shooting, and yes i love the over kill of a .45 But try to rapid fire in a tense situation and you would most likely be standing there with a jammed gun in your hands. I appreciate the fact that they are made in the usa but i have tried several brands of shells and during rapid fire same results,jam. my friend has a colt 45 we shoot together at the range his is flawless. so yea i do own one but as for as home protection my GRAB gun is a revolver or the dependable shotgun!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Hi-Point makes great guns. They're not Glocks or Sig Sauers, but for the price they can't be beat. A good quality shot gun like a Mossberg or Remington in 12 or 20 gauge would be nice addition as well!

If you have more money to spend, by all means buy a Sig or a Glock. They're great guns too, and have excellent reputations.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I shoot a lot and have owned a Hi-Point 9mm before. They are very inexpensive and are not known for reliability. If this is your first gun and you are buying it primarily for home defense and have fully committed to a handgun then I would suggest a revolver. Granted you do not have as many shots, but with a new user and no experience if your semi-auto jammed would you have your wits enough to clear the jam and chamber another round.

Home defense is one area I do NOT slack in. I carry daily on my person, but at my house I keep a Mossberg 500.....one of the best home defense guns available and pretty much guaranteed not to miss if you are aiming in the general direction of the offender.

On to laser sights.....if you are new to guns do not get one. They can be misleading and if you are getting a hi-point I would venture to guess you will not be looking to get a high dollar laser in which case you could end up pointing the gun with laser sighted in, pull the trigger and never hit what the laser was on.

Also....lasers are only good for lowlight aquisition of a target. If you are firing in low light with a laser and are depending on a follow up shot you will not be able to re-acquire the laser as you will be blinded by muzzle flash.

IMHO....get both a pistol and a shotgun. You can go cheap on a shotgun as there are less part to jam or have trouble with.

Do NOT go cheap on a pistol.....you will regret it. They can be very finicky and when you need it you may find it is not performing the way you thought it would.

That said.....get a Glock (.40) and a Mossberg 500.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Anyone who believes one of the newer polymer framed Hi-Points is unreliable simply because it is inexpensive, obviously has never owned or shot one. I have several of the pistols in addition to the carbines, and I've had no problems to speak of.

Inexpensive does not necessarily mean "cheap". People get hung up on price tags and bragging rights, and believe the more you spend the better quality you'll get. That isn't always the case.

Out of 2,500+ rounds my C9 has jammed maybe 3 times. That's not bad for a $139 gun by anyone's standard. Those fail to fires may have been due to cheap ammo as well. I practice with mine a lot, so I buy the cheapest ammo I can find. Show me any gun, out of the box that can do that, or has a better warranty.

If your gun has any problem, they will repair it free of charge whether you're the first or fifth owner. Show me where Sig, Glock, or Beretta states they'll do the same! If they were bad guns, Hi-Point would lose a fortune, which isn't the case.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Granted you do not have as many shots, but with a new user and no experience if your semi-auto jammed would you have your wits enough to clear the jam and chamber another round.

I have had some experience, but only with a revolver, when I was young. And if a semi-auto jammed on me, I would not know what to do about it. Thats why I originally wanted to go with a revolver, because it has less working parts, and are pretty simple overall. But I have to say, I will only have about $400 to spend, maybe I should go with a glock, then save up for a shotgun or rifile. I just could'nt believe they were selling a 9mm for $125. Mossberg sounds nice too. I am still undecided. Good suggestions.

Edit to add

Thats another reason I am leaning to a C9, the lifetime warranty.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm going to put my two cents in here. As a couple of other folks have suggested, I'd go with a shotgun for home defense, rather than a pistol, and the Mossberg 500 series includes some wonderful picks. As an added bonus, if you don't go for the extended capacity magazine, your shotgun can double as a hunting weapon.

Get yourself a pistol for daily carry, not to defend your home. As for what pistol, I"m fond of my Sig P220, but it's not for everybody. Whatever you get, keep it clean, and practice with it as often as possible. I'd strongly suggest getting a weapon that your girlfriend is comfortable firing...that will allow you to both take a hand in defending your property.

One of the gun clubs here in Phoenix offers classes in home defense, and in 'doubles' work...training husband and wife (or whatever domestic pairing suits you) to work as a team. If you have access to that sort of training, I can't recommend it highly enough...it'll make both of you more effective, and it makes a great 'bonding' exercise.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! lol...Congrats on the gun buy, but DONT buy a cheap gun......EVER. You get what you pay for. If you want to shoot at cans and have fun buy a Ruger MKIII .22 . If you want a gun that might save your butt, get a Sig, Glock, Springfield XD, HK, Beretta, or hell even a used Ruger or Smith & Wesson. CDNN 18005889500 has a hell of a deal on new stainless Smith 5906 .9mm . Get that if you can. Also they have a hell of a deal on lightly used Glocks, Sigs.....Ask for Neil Ray and tell him big scotty sent ya. If you need help on how to ship from here to a dealer near you PM me. ............Oh and FN has some great guns out pretty cheap. Stay away from Jennings, HiPoint, and all the rest of that street garbage.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

AWESOME.....We can get you a Glock 17 or 19 and a Mossberg 500. For around 450 shipped. PM me or cal CDNN

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Damnit I keep thinking on this......................If I were your big brother I would tell you to get 4 guns. 1 a AR-15 (Bushmaster) 2 a FN shotgun 3. Glock 17 and a FN Patrol rifle in .308..Save your pennies and NEVER sell a gun. Beg for food before you give up a gun....That dont work, TAKE IT

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I say buy the best gun you can afford, and then practice with it a lot! A Hi-Point C9 will kill a home invader just as dead as a Glock or a Sig, and for a lot less money. Beware of people trying to sell you something sight unseen. Caveat Emptor..

I've said my piece about the Hi-Points, so I won't elaborate further. Some people prefer bragging rights over a sound value.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still undecided, I will post what I finally bought, but it won't be untill I recieve my FOID card from the state. I think I will be looking at a revolver, High Point C9, a Mossberg shotgun, a .22 rifile, a High Point 9mm carbine,a Sig, and a glock. I think depending on whats available for me to hold in my hands, and what kind of deals that are going on, I will be able to choose the right gun. I do want the best bang for my buck, and I am hoping to get 2 guns with $400, but like I said it all depends on what is in at the different stores by my house. Thank you all for the suggestions, and I am always open to hear more.

You guys are very knowledgeable. You all have helped me out a great deal, and my hat goes off to you.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't think there are any bragging rights going on here....just people wanting to make sure someone has the most reliable gun possible for a bad situation. Glock, Sig and H&K are great guns, but by no means the most expensive guns out there. If I were going to brag I would bring up CT Brian, Yost/Bonitz, and a slew of other custom gunsmiths that make PERFECTION every time their hands touch a .45.

I carry a Glock because I know it has been tested, retested and thoroughly beaten down in so many situations and still fires reliably that I trust my life with it.....as do many law enforcement and military branches.

Now....on to bragging rights....I just picked up a Rohrbaugh R9S Elite a couple weeks ago.....smallest semi-custom 9mm made. Same size as a Seecamp and DAMN does it go BANG! I carry it pretty often when in dress clothes as it slips right into my front pocket or back pocket without printing.

Schizm....I would also suggest looking into a decent 4-5" fixed blade knife to keep on you. If you do get a semi-auto and it does jam it becomes a useless rock.....knife is a great last ditch weapon to have on hand in a bad situation.

And as others have said....train train train train train train train train train!!!!! Go out and shoot, practice draw firing, practice reloads. I would also suggest getting some CQB training, or at the very least some hand to hand training in case it becomes close quarters firing. You may not always have the jump on the assailant...they may have the jump on you and it is best to be prepared for anything.

OK....off my soapbox.....

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Oh, for those of you who do not know what a FOID card is, its a stupid law forced upon the citizens of Illinois that before you can own a gun you need to apply for a FOID Card (Firearm Owners Identification Card). There are alot of ways to get rejected too. If you have commited a battery, domestic violence, or have a restraining order against you, if you have commited any felony, or if you have been in a mental institution they will automatically reject you (I think thats right). Theres more restrictions too. I can say I will get my card, but for those who have made a mistake in their lives, needs to move to a different state.

Also, if you commit one of the crimes stated above, they can revoke your card, and in June 08, if your shrink thinks you are a danger to yourself, he can report you to the state and they will revoke your card. Alot of municipalities in Illinois don't even allow you to own a handgun!! In Chicago, all guns must be registered with the Chicago Police. And to top it off, there is no way to obtain a Permit to Carry anywhere in Illinois.

I hate this state.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

No bragging..A gun is a tool. Use the hell out of it. Look, I have good health insurance just in case, so if you are going to take the time to learn how to use a firearm for self defense why buy crap. We teach classes CHL all the time. Twice a month. Every class is full of doctors, lawyers, and so on. In every class we must shoot 50 rounds per person. EVERY time we get the guy or gal in class who bought the cheap gun...as in BARGIN...the gun wont make it without jamming at least 3-20 times. And these are usually people WITH money. Sig and HK are great guns. A Sig will work 100 percent out of the box, as will HK or Glock. Springfield too. IMHO if you want to defend your life with a gun get one with a good rep. One cops use. That way if you have too shoot somebody at the time you need it most the gun will go BANG and not click....From what I have read so far, get a good used Glock 19. That is going to give you 15 rounds plus 1 in the pipe. That and a Remington 870 and you will be good to go. Buy lots of ammo as well.

That sucks that IL has to CHL CCW whatever. I would move. I hear people say 'I just cant move" all the time. But 15 years ago I gave up a job paying close too 200K a year and my family and got the hell out of Cali. Took my wife, kids, and 1200 bucks and hauled ass to TX...Now 15 years later I am doing great and I live in a lib free area. Get to play with machineguns/suppressors and all the other fun toys. So my advice is move to AZ TX ID OR or FL.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join