It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA says Heparin Contamination May Have Been Deliberate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

FDA says Heparin Contamination May Have Been Deliberate

www.nytimes.com

By GARDINER HARRIS
Published: April 30, 2008
WASHINGTON — Federal drug regulators believe that a contaminant detected in a crucial blood thinner that has caused 81 deaths was added deliberately, something the Food and Drug Administration has only hinted at previously.

Get Health News From The New York Times » “F.D.A.’s working hypothesis is that this was intentional contamination, but this is not yet proven,” Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of the Food and Drug Administration’s drug center, told the House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations in written testimony given Tuesday.

A third of the material in some batches of the thinner heparin were contaminants, “and it does strain one’s credulity to suggest that might have been done accidentally,” Dr. Woodcock said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here's one for you conspiracy theorists... I for one find it hard to believe that there is an actual Chinese policy for contaminating our dog food, toothpaste, drugs, toys etc. with toxic elements, but the fact remains that its happening.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think the FDA are full of it in this case.

The standards in China are no where near as high as the US expects. This is 100% purely the FDA covering liability.

The FDA admitted it breached policy by not inspecting the area which is required. The FDA is fully liable for all deaths and can be the target for any legal action due to this blatant and admitted breach.

Claiming China did this deliberately to kill off 100 US citizens is simply the FDA side-stepping the liability they have over this.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ixnay

Actually I tend to agree with you... it would be absurd of China to deliberately poison its largest trading partner.... that would be killing the proverbial goose that laid the golden egg.

What I feel is happening is that when you have companies like Wal-Mart pushing for even lower and lower prices for the products that they buy, the imptus is there to cut corners where ever they can... that accounts for dog foods and toothpastes and toy contaminations.... as for the drugs like heprian, there is so little regulatory oversight in general that it is easy for businesses to cut corners whenever they can.... OH my supplier is out of ingredient Y for my product and I have a big order to fill... guess I will repalce it with ingredient X instead.

Catch my drift?

top topics

join