It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Coolng = Global Warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This would be funny if it weren't so serious.

First they change the popular catch phrase from "global warming" to "global climate change" because the data showed that the globe wasn't warming everywhere, as well as to lump in flooding, drought, etc. with the evils of electricty and automobiles.

Now they are trying to tell you that even though the planet may be cooling, it's still warming!

Freakin' hillarious.

Average temperatures in areas such as California and France may drop over the next 10 years, influenced by colder flows in the North Atlantic, said a report today by the institution based in Kiel, Germany. Temperatures worldwide may stabilize in the period.

``Those natural climate variations could be stronger than the global-warming trend over the next 10-year period,'' Wood said in an interview. ``Without knowing that, you might erroneously think there's no global warming going on.''

Link to story

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hmmm Assuming that the source is correct, it can be possible. Climate change may involve a change of air flow & the jet streams that we are familiar with.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
AGW is an underlying trend. Natural variation continues regardless. We could in theory enter a new ice age and still have AGW happening - it'd just mean that it wouldn't be quite as cold as it would have been without AGW.

Some of us have been saying this for years, but it's only now slowly percolating out of science and into more general knowledge. In another 20 years we may even get politicians to understand it (no money on that though!)

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Essan]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Actually i do not think that anyone will argue with "climate change" issue. Climate is changing in many areas on the globe. The reason for that - i do not know, of course.
However for some reason i do not trust internet inventor.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I certainly won't argue with the idea of climate change. The climate of the earth has been in a never ending state of change since there was an atmosphere.

I dont get this logic though...

Natural climate change OK...AGW BAD! Even if the AGW is masked by the natural forces.

Consider this....AGW might actually be a blessing if it were discovered that a long cycle natural cooling were about to begin. Right?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If a long cycle natural cooling will start, oil prices will jump even more. NOOOO!

GW is just a theory and usually it implies that humans are the reason to it however it is not proved (yet??). The famous hockey curve is showing that carbon emissions follow the change in temperature, but the logical (to me) would be temperature following the emissions, since the carbon concentration is proposed to be the reason.
And temperature changes on other planets in Solar system - also due to our carbon emissions??
Our technology is not allowing us effectively predict future climate as far as i know, so any claims of future calamities should be taken with a grain of salt.
However!!!!
We definitely have to cut down pollution because it kills us and the planet but to force a single argued theory as a spearhead- this is not going to work.Certain people are making political gains and money on this issue and pollution goes on and on.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Exactly. No one will know how the earth will 'react' in the future. But why would one even want to wait and see?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

However for some reason i do not trust internet inventor.

What's Tim Berners-Lee got to do with it?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I meant the "real" inventor. ----> Edit. Not inventor.
www.sethf.com...
He is also pushing the GW campaign. The only achievment that i am aware so far is corn price. Biofuel is good, eating is bad.

Edit:
Oops. He did not say he invented it, after all.
He just "took the initiative in creating the Internet."

[edit on 1-5-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

new topics

top topics

join