It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Hawk AJT crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

The Indian air force has temporarily grounded its fleet of BAE Systems Hawk 132 advanced jet trainers, following the first crash involving the newly inducted type.

One of 10 BAE-manufactured Hawks to have been put into service at Bidar air base in February, the aircraft suffered extensive damage following an aborted take-off on 29 April, according to air force sources quoted in the Indian media.
One crew member ejected from the aircraft, while the other escaped after it came to a rest on the runway, according to a Times of India report.

did someone pull the bang seat by mistake ?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh the Indian media is reporting it to be much more sinister than that.
There's chatter of lack of spares, rusted parts being put in at the Brough assembly.
I also believe that the British High Commissioner has been contacted and some communications have been sent off to BAE.
I'm reading all of this off a newspaper. Not sure if its accurate or sensationalised, but this is what is being written in the papers here.

Even details have been printed and I quote:

"Sources in Air Hqs, said that the main problem has to do with certain parts like the undercarriage and the pitot-static tube - it gives the pilots feedback on airspeed and altitude - that were found to be rusted and unusable."
"Initial investigation points to the way of the undercarriage or the yaw controllers that are used to stabilise the aircraft. The was no apparent enigne failure in the trainer."

Source: Indian Express paper print 1st May 08

I could find this online:
www.newindpress.com...

And oh yeah, till the court of inquiry is completed all Hawks in the IAF are grounded.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
so in the last 2 months they didn`t notice rusted pilot tube did they
- they`ve been used everyday since work up in feb

rumour network is saying the student pilot errored on the take off roll and paniced and pulled the bang seat - the instructor stablised and aborted the roll

edit:

to eleborate actually a number of reports are saying the aircraft was airbourne - which makes balany of the undercarraige yaw controls , as they have 0 input when the wheels are off the ground

[edit on 1/5/08 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
so in the last 2 months they didn`t notice rusted pilot tube did they
- they`ve been used everyday since work up in feb

rumour network is saying the student pilot errored on the take off roll and paniced and pulled the bang seat - the instructor stablised and aborted the roll

Well then that's a lapse on ground crew in any case. I'm not sure what the protocol was for a/c handover, whether the units are inspected onsite or offshore; part for part, before operational flight.
Parts will have reduced MTBF/MTTF if they're not new.

Its not entirely impossible that the claims have some basis, esp since their have been continued concerns for spare parts shortage, much before this accident.

More so, it seems unlikely that the IAF is delusional to the extent that it would cover a single pilot error, with this elaborate charade of faulty parts; even going to the extent of making a communication to the High Commisioner.
The IAF has had its share of pilot goof ups, most of which have been publicised and criticized by the media quite thoroughly.

Plus you would not ground the entire fleet due to pilot error of one flying officer on one jet with an instructor who apparently rescued the situation.

Either the IAF has become senile or there's some truth to this part thingie

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

to eleborate actually a number of reports are saying the aircraft was airbourne - which makes balany of the undercarraige yaw controls , as they have 0 input when the wheels are off the ground

[edit on 1/5/08 by Harlequin]

airborne? Your article itself states that it was an aborted take-off.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus3

aye it does - yours says it was in the air though
, which bugs me as if it was `completely destroyed ` as the india times says , how did the instructor walk away?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Daedalus3

aye it does - yours says it was in the air though
, which bugs me as if it was `completely destroyed ` as the india times says , how did the instructor walk away?

We just barely airborne. Maybe things were already awry just before nose up.

Lets wait for more details

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Update:
Lets just say, I wasn't entirely correct on this one

The bad parts issue is valid, but apparently not as pivotal to the core cause here as earlier stated by me.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
www.flightglobal.com... ilot.html

An Indian air force inquiry into the crash of one of its brand-new BAE Systems Hawk 132 advanced jet trainers at Bidar air base on 29 April has revealed that pilot error and miscommunication between the crews of two aircraft that were taking off simultaneously were responsible for the accident.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I rectified my statement over a month ago; a month before this article on Flight Global! See prev post.

The article doesn't seem to have sourced the exact cause of the accident; however, miscommunication and simultaneous takeoff are not incorrect.

Lets see now... what could be a probable reason for emergency ejection during a simultaneous take-off? hmm...

Any guesses?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It's pilot error definitely. They fly like they drive Maruttis and buses in India and it does not work with modern aircraft.
They ventured into F1 racing and the result was the same.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
there was a rumour a while back about aussie hawks
with sub standard ( wing bolts )
suppose to be stainless steel but inserted with some other bolt????

new topics

top topics

join