It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methodists Nail Darwinian Nazi Record, Repent U.S. Past, Warn About 21st Century Eugenics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Methodists Nail Darwinian Nazi Record, Repent U.S. Past, Warn About 21st Century Eugenics

www.evolutionnews.org

by Bruce Chapman on April 30, 2008

The quadrennial international convention of the Methodist Church, meeting in Fort Worth, today adopted an historic and detailed resolution deploring the legacy of Darwinian eugenics that saw its 20th century extreme expression in the theories of Adolf Hitler.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
In a simply outrageous resolution the mad hatter methodists have tried to connect Darwin to Hitler. They apologize for their own role in American eugenics by framing innocent scientists like Darwin as murderers.

Here is a link to their resolution: www.discovery.org...

www.evolutionnews.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-5-2008 by DickieDee]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I wouldn't call it outrageous at all; the connection between "survival of the fittest" and Hitlers idea that it applied to certain "fit" races is pretty clear to see. Maybe eugenics wasn't Darwin's idea per se' but it is a natural out growth of the belief man is just another animal. I applaud the methodists for speaking out against the practice. I haven't seen Expelled yet but I understand this gets mentioned as well.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hogwash, this is the fallacy of appeal to consequences. The consequences of the world view are irrelevant to the Darwinian reality. Furthermore, it is only a thinly veiled attempt to discredit Darwin by associating him with Adolf Hitler.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
I wouldn't call it outrageous at all; the connection between "survival of the fittest" and Hitlers idea that it applied to certain "fit" races is pretty clear to see. Maybe eugenics wasn't Darwin's idea per se' but it is a natural out growth of the belief man is just another animal. I applaud the methodists for speaking out against the practice. I haven't seen Expelled yet but I understand this gets mentioned as well.
I totally agree both pretty much had same ideal,so not an outragious claim at all

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually Darwin and racism are as far as they can be. Nazi ideology defined by itself what it considers the best race and the best categories. Darwin states that it is due to natural selection. Nature is not racist. In certain conditions large animal can survive and prosper, in other only smaller animals of the same species can survive. Both are pressured by nature to fit into environment. Elephants in Africa and in India are different, but it is not because Elephant Adolph said it is the best way. Actually genetic diversity in the same species is helping its survival due to better defense against diseases and changing conditions.
So the fact that some people took his theory and tried to make it into something it is not supposed to be does not connect the man to nazi ideology.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well Charles Darwin's own cousin Francis Galton, came up with the term "eugenics" and campaigned for using human genetics as a means to breed a superior breed of humanity.

From Richard Weikart professor of history at California State University Author of Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004).

I agree with Ruse that Hitler’s ideology was not built solely on Darwinism. Nonetheless, Ruse does not seem to realize that Darwinism was a central, guiding principle of Nazi ideology, especially of Hitler’s own world view. Richard Evans, historian at Cambridge University, has explained, "The real core of Nazi beliefs lay in the faith Hitler proclaimed in his speech of September 1938 in science—a Nazi view of science—as the basis for action. Science demanded the furtherance of the interests not of God but of the human race, and above all the German race and its future in a world ruled by ineluctable laws of Darwinian competition between races and between individuals." This is not a controversial claim by anti-evolutionists, but it is commonly recognized by scholars who study Nazism.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Wow, i was correct in "Elephant Adolf" allegory. Cool.
Nature is not Adolf. And Adolf never believed in competition of races. He defined which is top one , which will be slave races, which are bad races.No competition allowed. It is not according to theory of evolution. It is according to theory of racism.
And if someone tried to prove his own theory by misusing Darwin's , it is not Darwin who is guilty. Every idea and theory can be spoiled and misused.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Thank you. Hitler is not at all atheist, as he was religiously biased against Jewish people. Atheism is perfect in every way.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickieDee
Jewish people. Atheism is perfect in every way.

Yeah in every single way, umm their sure isn't room for improvement with Atheism. I think of all the things their are to think about, all the concepts and ideas through the ages, all the plans, inventions, all the people etc, where all I have ever heard anyone say is about perfection is that nothing is perfect but you are right I guess in one regard.

I can just hear Kramer saying to Jerry, "Well Jerry,, Nothings perfect" and Jerry saying "you're forgetting about Atheism"

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DickieDee

Wow I see you already made me a respected foe, I'm flattered

Here this will cheer you up I thought it was pretty funny

Well there was an American Christian Astronaut and a Russian Atheist Cosmonaut. Both were arguing about who was better.

The Atheist Cosmonaut said: We Russians were the first to put a satelite in space

The Christian Astronaut said: We Americans were the first to land on the moon!

The Atheist Cosmonaut said: Russia will be the first to land on the SUN!

The Christian Astronaut said: dude are you crazy! You'll burn up!

The Atheist Cosmonaut said: We atheists know much more about Science then you silly xians and we aren't as dumb as you think fundie,,,

We will land there at night!

- R. Dawkins

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

No, you missed my point. Atheism is not saint,by far. Communist, Nazis and a lot of other people who believe that they do not believe did very very nasty things. And religious people of different religions also did nasty things. However the fact that Darwin's theory is considered probably correct by atheists (not only) does not mean that it is eeevil.
It is just theory in which Darwin (a religious man,by the way) tried to describe the way evolution is, as he saw it. You can argue if it is wrong or wright, but why trying to connect it with something it was not supposed to be?
I personally cannot rule out that this theory might be wrong, but so far science has no real alternatives. And alternatives presented in religions are there to believe in, not to prove or disprove. For long time people (and religions agreed) thought that Earth is flat but Bible never stated it. It was an earlier "scientific/philosophical" theory that certain religions adopted because it was high science at the time. And it was wrong. So religion (not to mention faith) and science are two different things, should not be interlocked and force its views one on another. Darwin's theory is a scientific theory. So to use it against religion or religious wars against it are pointless.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
argument ad hitlerum...

honestly, there's been many a rebuttal to this in the many responses to the hogwash that is the propaganda film "expelled"

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   

just wanted to point out that the nazis were not atheists

they had "god is with us" belt buckles, so they officially aren't atheists.

sure, there may have been atheist nazis, but the vast majority of nazis were christians.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
argument ad hitlerum...

honestly, there's been many a rebuttal to this in the many responses to the hogwash that is the propaganda film "expelled"

Propaganda! expelltionism is perfect in every way and so is the movie

Everyone should see that movie.

it is great!

- Con

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

just wanted to point out that the nazis were not atheists

they had "god is with us" belt buckles, so they officially aren't atheists.

sure, there may have been atheist nazis, but the vast majority of nazis were christians.

Yeah thats a good one madd, in fact thats the most convincing argument I have seen you make to date. Hey you guys they had "In God We Trust" on their belt buckles so that proves it right there!

Everyone knows Atheists would have melted like vampires if they were to touch anything with the word "God" on it .

I had heard you had one better than my astronaut joke

you were joking, weren't you?

- Con

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Hitler is not at all atheist, as he was religiously biased against Jewish people.

This makes no sense at all. Wether or not Hitler was atheist has no bearing on who he decided to persecute.

Furthermore, I am not convinced that the persecution of the Jews really had anything to do with religion at all. I think the Nazis simply saw the world, and particulalry Europe, as being too overcrowded. They wanted to kill off everyone who wasn't of their stock. This happened to include Jews, but again, they were only one group of many that the Nazis intended to exterminate in favor of a blue-eyed blond-haired "master race."

Perhaps they were simply trying to engineer and manage the inevitable. Meaning that we are now on the verge of a global population crash, and it might onle be one small group who survives to re-populate.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

It could also be argued that the Nazis were satanists, and certainly appeared to be occultists at the very least, who sought out their pre-Christian religious heritage.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
And just to add one more thing. Darwinian theory certainly was a foundation of eugenics, and the subsequent Nazi interpretation and use of the latter pseudo-science. This does not mean that Darwin was a Nazi though, anymore than Albert Einstein was racist against the Japanese and hoped that an atomic bomb would get dropped on them.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The Darwin-Nazi "connection" nonsense is a cheap ploy to use emotional manipulation to cloud the issues around evolution.

A warped version of evolutionary theory was part of the strange pastiche of elements that made up the Nazi world view, as were warped versions of Christianity and Germanic occultism, a fascination with the Roman Empire, and a a strong streak of anti-intellectualism - at the same time Nazi leaders considered themselves the new intelligentsia.

Trying to blame Darwin for Nazism is like trying to blame Jesus for "Christian" white supremacist groups.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join