It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Takes Heat for Opposing Gas Tax Holiday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow Im no democrat (Im voting for RP) but to blame democrats for this whole mess is pretty funny. Gee thanks McCain for the $28 your going to save me over 3 months while all big oil is raking in the BILLIONS over this whole deal..Alaska according to a report that just came out is only going to save us $.01 a gallon Gee thanks for the saving...I for one am for no taxes but as long as we have the monetary system we have there has to be taxes and if you look at the past deficits its been the REPUBLICANS who have racked up the big debts see the chart below..

Now as far as gas prices gas prices were very reasonable under Clinton and the look what happened when Bush the oil man took office....

The fact is both Dems and Repubs are both scum and both looking out for their interests and that is why nothing gets done..as long as they have everyone fighting over some gang Dem or Repub it keeps the nation divided and that is where they want us....wake up and small the tortillas my friend.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The last time the ANWAR drilling motion came to the Senate was in 2005 when the Republicans had clear control and it was voted down in a fillibuster.
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Voting down the ANWAR drilling (really by a fillabuster) was done by LIBERALS. Probably both parties were involved but it should not have been done especially in retrospect. ANWAR has huge reserves of both oil and gas and had it been brought online 10 years ago we would have that domestic supply to bring prices down. Environmental consequences? Minimal IMHO, ask almost any Alaskan, ANWAR is just a big, mosquito infested swamp (the mountains in the Sierra Club propaganda are bogus!). The place is good for one thing, drilling and the effects will be more positive than negative. Present drilling practices are very environmentally sensitive and wildlife thrive around drilling activity.

Example #2...Another example of stupid political action this time by Bill Clinton:

When the President (Clinton) signed the Executive Order designating 1.7 million acres of land in southwest Utah as the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
The coal is not only important for our nation's security. More importantly, it is low sulfer and low ash coal worth about a TRILLION dollars and only found in 2 other places in the world, Columbia and Indonesia.

The Utah Coal Lockup discribes what Clinton did apparently to appease the environmental vote in his upcoming election. Had Clinton not tied up this huge coal resource the Southwest would have had plentiful supplies of high quality, non polluting coal at low cost for generations.

Example #3:

Anyone living south of Seattle near Satsop, WA knows that there is a gigantic cooling tower east of town that has never been used. It is all that was built of a large nuclear power plant back in 1983. LIBERALS shut down the construction of the plant (and ALL other new nuclear facilities) by instilling fear into people saying that it will lead to nuclear disaster. Since then nuclear power in the US, England, France and many other countries has proven itself to be the cleanest source of power. That was very bad energy policy and Congress needs to get to work doing what is necessary to clear the way for new, safe nuclear generating facilities as England is now doing. The longer we wait the higher fuel prices will go!

People who say there is nothing we can do, fuel prices are going up don't know what they are talking about. There are lots of choices, we just need politicians willing to step in and get the job done. There will be millions of Americans thanking them if someone will just step up to the plate.

Alternative Energy Solutions? I'm an alternative energy nut myself. I have set up wind generating facilities, solar PV generating facilities and a geothermal unit. I think they are great but it would take a huge research, money and labor invesment to even make a dent in our fossil fuel usage. So those alternatives are nice to talk about and speculate about but they will never happen in any significant amount in our lifetime IMHO. But I hope I'm proven wrong! But then again, now is the time to get moving on these projects, not 10 or 20 years from now! For home owners installing one of these systems will require a 2nd mortgage expendature equal to 1/4 to 1/3 the value of the house. Are you ready?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

ZOMG THE LIBERALS DID IT!

Dokay geooorge.

Real intelligent conversation going on here.

"You guys did it"

"No you did it"

Really? This thread is about as useless as the politicians it discusses.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I hope people can see the forest for the trees. Firstly, drilling ANWAR would take 10 yrs to see the first gallon pumped and would result in less than one percent of total daily consumption. I am hoping in ten years tech would have greatly abated the need for oil while we still have some surviving species (including us).
Secondly, repeal of fed tax would only result in only a fifteen cents a gallon savings. Where does that money go? Infrastructure. Roads and bridges. Like that real big bridge in Minnesota last year that became instant chunnel.
Solutions must be found. Viable ones, not pawing at the underlying problems.
syntax

[edit on 5/1/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Hi Sub,

Real intelligent conversation going on here

Did you have something to contribute or did you just want to give us more of your one liners? puz:

Thanks for your post!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

The world waits on pins and needles till the liberals find a viable solution to the energy crisis! And waits, and waits!

A real easy one would have been eight years ago, 1995. The House and Senate had both passed a bill to open ANWAR to drilling. BILL CLINTON vetoed it!. That oil would be online by now if he hadn't. And even though it may have only provided a few million barrels a day of petroleum, that probably would have had a significant effect in lowering gas prices. Market forces at word lowering prices!

Hope this helpes you see your way out of the forest!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I think it was 5 lines... but that's not important.

Just pointing out the lame blame game that's going on (rhymes not intentional, but still fun).

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
reply to post by jpm1602

The world waits on pins and needles till the liberals find a viable solution to the energy crisis! And waits, and waits!

A real easy one would have been eight years ago, 1995. The House and Senate had both passed a bill to open ANWAR to drilling. BILL CLINTON vetoed it!. That oil would be online by now if he hadn't. And even though it may have only provided a few million barrels a day of petroleum, that probably would have had a significant effect in lowering gas prices. Market forces at word lowering prices!

Hope this helpes you see your way out of the forest!

You keep referring to ANWAR but the oil companies just came out with a report saying that will only decrease the price at the pump by $.01. We need other options than ANWAR. Blame the whole government not just the liberals. The fact is Brazil is energy independent. How the hell are we not. the past 28 years only 8 of those years has been a democratic president the other 20 republican cmon man use your head this is the WHOLE government screwing us over.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Not to mention deface one of the last pristine areas on the face of the planet.

But hey, it's just the earth.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Not to mention deface one of the last pristine areas on the face of the planet.

The "last pristine wilderness" is part of the big lie regarding ANWAR that the environmental liberals have been perpetuation. The area is nothing but a mosquito infested swampland. Miles and miles of nothing but prime oil delopment country. When you see their ANWAR literature they always have beautiful mountines, bubbling streams and endless caribou herds. That's all bogus. They took those photos hundreds of miles south of there. If you took every tourist tour offered in Alaska there would never be one going to ANWAR because there is nothing there and you would be innundated by mosquitoes and mizerable. I have seen the area from the air. I was amazed! If you liberals want to save an area, save something worth saving. And make sure there isn't a national reserve of oil there before you lock it up.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

You do a lot of talking and not a lot of sourcing.

I don't know what that means... you tell me?

If it ain't worth drilling, why drill it?

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You're a bit weak in the making sense department today.

Try this (2nd time today):Arctic Refuge drilling controversy

Sorry to confuse you but there is a lot of proven reserve there (petroleum). It is not a pretty place to visit. Environmentalists have obfiscated about ANWAR. They have not told you the truth.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yes, we all know there is some oil there.

What is your point?

Surely you have some reason for this liberal slandering operation you are on?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
For just about as long as I can remember the liberals have railed against nuclear energy and I have to admit that I was right there with them being of the opinion that whatever the short term benefits of nuclear energy the long term risks negate those big time. I also lived through a time when cost overruns at nuclear power plants were such that electricity wound up costing more.

Now, the liberals are getting on the nuclear bandwagon.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that or was it my eyes when I read that?

The fact is that we will eventually tap the oil reserves here in the US and in our waters and when that time comes, it will be the liberals who lead the way.

It's just a matter of time.

[edit on 2008/5/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Well, nuclear energy has also cleaned itself up a bit.

It's got a long way to go until it becomes an actual good, safe source of energy, but it's still better than oil.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Good post.

Yeah, I think the "tax holiday" is a nice-sounding way of buying votes, personally.

For all the ranting about "liberals" in the OP, I think Obama is a different kind of politician, and he'll reach across the aisle to work with principled conservatives - unlike Hillary for whom partisanship seems to be a core value.

This "tax holiday" idea is a cheap attempt to buy votes and pretend they're doing something to help the average citizen, all the while putting our country further in debt.

PS to the OP: I am an Obama supporter, and pro-nuclear power.
Instead of Limbaugh-esque ranting about "liberals", consider the possibility that there are more than two easily-defined political viewpoints in the world.

[edit on 5/2/08 by xmotex]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I've illustrated several examples of how liberals (and I didn't say democrats because republicans and independants can get liberal too) were to blame for bad energy policy. I'm no energy expert but I do know that electing more liberals like Obama and Clinton will only get us into more trouble because they are forced to pander to the liberal environmentalists and others who got them into office. All we will get is more blame the oil companies and the Bushes and whomever else and years and years of no political action. Pelosi has proven how ineffective she is in this department so why elect more like her? At least if you elect someone besides another liberal you stand a chance of getting some action especially now that people are united in wanting something done.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

I've illustrated several examples of how liberals (and I didn't say democrats because republicans and independants can get liberal too) were to blame for bad energy policy. I'm no energy expert but I do know that electing more liberals like Obama and Clinton will only get us into more trouble because they are forced to pander to the liberal environmentalists and others who got them into office. All we will get is more blame the oil companies and the Bushes and whomever else and years and years of no political action. Pelosi has proven how ineffective she is in this department so why elect more like her? At least if you elect someone besides another liberal you stand a chance of getting some action especially now that people are united in wanting something done.

Agreed totally but this is the problem democrat or republican none of them are getting anything done not only on energy but immigration, infrastructure, education..I mean this is what burns me and while you guys are arguing about democrats and republicans nothing gets done by any of them. Pelosi is a tool and she is all talk and frankly I cant stand her. But lets be real here at least under Clinton gas was cheap for everyone and the moment an oil man got elected the prices began a rising I mean cmon man that cant be a coincidence....I told you who I am voting for earlier Im voting for Ron Paul..I feel he can get us out of this mess we are in...get rid of the dept of education to fix education get it privatized...how man republicans have you hear mention that..oh wait they are for big government...fixing our roads, bridges, hospitals, and schools you really dont hear any of them talk about that...the energy issue we can fix in 5 years and the government REFUSES to do it and that is mandate all cars to run on hydrogen..the technology is there and it is the most abundant resource in the universe. Go nuclear, solar, and wind for housing and other buildings energy, and leave oil for the other stuff....

why wont it get done you ask? Not because of environmentalists I promise you it is because there is to much damn money being made by big energy to even consider something else. So please my friend quit railing on dems and rail on them all because they are all making money at our expense...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If you want real change, check out a man that has been consistantly behind the constitution on all matters. Check out www.ronpaul2008.com

Ron Paul is the change that this country needs!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Of course Obama would be against anything that would take money from government. Government always has to have more and more, while we have to do with less.

Chill out Obama! It's just a tax holiday, it won't be permanent. I'm sure if you have anything to do with it, you will raise the gas tax, or some other tax in the future to make up for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join