It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Forces Dressing In Black To "Instill Fear" In Citizens

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
OK, I interjected some humor and DG, if I offended you, please accept my apology.. I was just having some fun...

Now seriously...

I can attest personally that Black Uniforms are nothing new. When I first began policing, I was almost immediately selected for SWAT due to my Marine experience. My first police uniform, to be worn on the street, was what they call L.A. Blue. (Dark Navy, almost black)
My current uniforms are L.A. Blue for dress, Green for field work and black for SWAT.
The SWAT issue then was exactly the same as now.

Green or Camouflage for Rural and Black for Urban.

In every state I have policed, in all of my years, it has been this way. So in that area, it is no indication of anything new, police state or Nazis.

Semper

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The manner of dress that we are seeing in law-enforcement is indeed a part of psychological intimidation of the citizenry. The only thing that can be argued is wether or not you agree with it.

These changes in uniforms are a part of the overall militarization of the police.

The police no longer serve the general public, they carry out a political agenda for profit.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

There's a big difference between SWAT being dressed in black tactical gear, and your average patrolman.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Who doesn't love the RCMP??

Everybody loves the Mounties!!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
im not sure what to make of all this but take a look at this study. its a 1988 study on the correlation of sports teams that wear black uniforms and a high amount of penalties ( ie bad behavior). should we expect a more aggressive attitude just from the psychological effect of a newer more aggressive looking uniform?

mentor.lscf.ucsb.edu...

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Oh, did I forget to mention that what most of you are calling Black, is actually L.A. Blue. A uniform that has been in use for years and years.

I also was apparently not clear in that in the 3 states I have policed in and currently police in, uniforms change at the whims of the Chief of Police. He has almost compete control.. With one exception..

Anyone guess what that is?

Ok, I'll tell you....

The Chief of Police answers to and is responsible to......

PLAIN OL ELECTED CITIZENS...

City Councils
County Councils
State Legislatures

So if there is some BIG conspiracy, (Which I know nothing of and I am pretty highly placed now)((Or do I?)) it is all brought on, fueled by and continued by....

YOU

The citizens of this great nation that are elected into local, county and state office..

So, tell me...

Are you all starting a conspiracy of police intimidation?

Semper

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

ahh man...you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say the same thing. I work for a large Sheriffs Office...our patrol uniforms ARE NOT black...the SHERIFF decides what we wear...but as Semper said..the final say comes from THE PEOPLE.

If the citizens of this county go to the meetings and tell the ShERIFF "hey, we don't like those uniforms, we (the tax payers & voters) want you to change them to this color"...it will happen. I know this because THE PEOPLE told the sheriff they were not happy and did not like the look of the patrol cars we drove....so he asked them about the old fashioned black and white look...they agreed..and guess what...we now have black and white patrol cars.

So I agree semper...the people fund the agencies...so if you don't like your local, county, or state police/sheriffs appearence...let it be known...these guys get VOTED in...so if enough voters/tax payers raise a stink...it will change.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Maybe I'm desensitized to officers in black uniform, but they just don't scare me. LOL My best friends hubby is on the swat team so anytime I see an officer in black I think of my friends hubby and some of the other guys I know on the swat team. Not so scary once you know them. LOL Just because big brother is trying to make the police look scary, doesn't mean they are and most importantly I'm not scared.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Oh, did I forget to mention that what most of you are calling Black, is actually L.A. Blue. A uniform that has been in use for years and years.

I for one, am very clear on the color distinction. One local department here retains the dark-blue or "Yankees' blue" as it is known around these parts. They do however, often wear black tactical vests over that uniform, and have gone to a fatigue cut of pants.

Another department has gone from a two-tone light and dark blue standard uniform, to all black tactical for patrols.

And yet another department has gone from two tone light blue and gray, to tactical dark blue.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

...but as Semper said..the final say comes from THE PEOPLE.

Just like the people elected Bush.

I know this because THE PEOPLE told the sheriff they were not happy and did not like the look of the patrol cars we drove....so he asked them about the old fashioned black and white look...they agreed..and guess what...we now have black and white patrol cars.

Yeah, there's a department here who had nice metallic blue-gray cruisers. Now they run the black and whites and think they're the LAPD. This particular department is probably the most corrupt in the county, has been the subject of multiple Federal investigations, and numerous complaints by the community. In fact, there was a political war between the Chief and the City Council for over two years.

By the way, they also made ths shift to black tactical uniforms as well. They also refuse to wear name and/or identity tabs as required by charter.

XL5

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
44soulslayer, the majority of police work in public deals with young kids, traffic offences and disputes of sorts, not hostages and bank robberies. So would it make sense to intsill fight or flight into the general public (who could be innocent) so that next time the cops really do need to be "ready for anything"?

Why should the general public fear the police, why not use trust instead? That way they know the cops not bluffing and not just using fear to get his way. If Mc.D's use fear to sell burgers, people wouldn't buy them, whey do you think they give free smiles? Most of the times when you are stopped by a cop now, you always wonder if your going to get a ticket or 20! Yet they wonder why some people who just commited a misdemeanor run/keep driving.

Personally I'd rather give money to a friend.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
EDIT: Oops

[edit on 1-5-2008 by DesertRose]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Nice display

Hats are intimidating. Light blue is least intimidating I think, but maybe not what they should wear.

I've seen threads about how the police force is becoming more militarized, and it's interesting to watch the change. They're also getting more power through the suppression of our rights.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Jackinthebox, do the Rockland County Sheriff's deputies still wear that medium blue shirt with dark blue pants uniform or have they changed? I have always considered they pretty well dressed, much more unique then the all dark blue worn by most NY sheriff's departments.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
They also refuse to wear name and/or identity tabs as required by charter.

This is where I have a problem. Something as simple as a name tag and badge number has always been effective as a means of keeping officers accountable for their actions. I find this completely unacceptable!

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Here in Scotland the police wear a lot of black, they are certainly not all tht intimidating... Then again, that might be something to do with the big yellow jackets they wear

Photo

And heres a video of some police in England, dressed in black! Certainly intimidating

[edit on 1/5/08 by dawa]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I believe they do, but I haven't been to Rockland in a while. Further upsate the counties are still wearing the same standard uniforms but under tactical gear a lot of the time now. The Troopers still wear their standard uniform for the most part. It's the locals who get decked out like they're ready to jump out the side of a helicopter and go Batman through your kitchen window.

I'm not particularly fond of the Ulster County Sheriff's uniform though. This is not tactical attire, but you can't tell me this guy doesn't look like he's ready to invade Poland.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I've had more chances than I care to remember to interact with the police over the last couple years. I've found them very professional, even helpful, when they show up for a domestic call. Police are extremely edgy on traffic stops lately. I've actually had backup and guns drawn on me for going through a red light at night.

In Iraq we literally had vehicles explode on us at traffic control points. It's not that bad in this country, let the show of force be in proportion to the situation.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Shoot the messenger of the story, eh?

Learn to spell hypocrite before you go tossing it around.

So, then, the general concensus is that Black is where its AT. Cool.

I dont want to see a story posted about a new breed of cops "in black" used in anything detrimental on this board then.

You voted "Bush". Now you vote for "Black"

As indifferent as you all are, YOU all deserve what you get. And that includes it all.

It truly is about Apathy. Continue with your desease until it bites you in the butt- but then dont come crying here telling everyone how miserable you all are.

You are the same who think you see a black helicopter and spaz out

If it matters? I wear black well. I love black. I'm partial to Black.

THIS IS JUST A FREAKING STORY OFF SOMEONE ELSES WEBSITE THAT CAUGHT MY EYE DUE TO THE TIMES WE ARE LIVING IN. Ahem......

So, pretend i never shared this story with you. Be hard on me. I dont particularly care what you all think, and i am my own person.
I have the last laugh.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by ALLis0NE

Shoot the messenger of the story, eh?

Learn to spell hypocrite before you go tossing it around.

Continue with your desease until it bites you in the butt-

Bwahahahaha

Now who get the last laugh!

It's spelled disease.
dis-ease, get it.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Tuebor]

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Tuebor]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join