It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Forces Dressing In Black To "Instill Fear" In Citizens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Psychological influence of uniforms cited by authorities

The introduction of black police uniforms has an ominous precedent. In 1932 Hitler's propaganda chief Heinrich Himmler famously introduced black uniforms for SS police, tailored to project authority and foster fear and respect. The choice of color was not by chance.

It is believed that the Nazis took the idea from the "blackshirts" in Italy years before the creation of the SS.

*The studies cited found that black uniforms elicit emotions of anger, hostility, dominance, and aggression:

Applying the results of these studies in color to the police uniform suggests that darker police uniforms may send negative subconscious signals to citizens. A dark police uniform may subconsciously encourage citizens to perceive officers as aggressive, evil, or corrupt and send a negative message to the community.

SOURCE

Well, at least they're not saying the color black is more "attractive"

It appears that if you read all the above, its a whole new breed, to instill fear...do not approach as you may get your head blown off...
Not even for directions.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Could it be they're using black as the opposite color of white?

Ultimate Light: White is purity, cleanliness, and innocence. Like black, white goes well with almost any color.
Nature of White: To the human eye, white is a brilliant color that can cause headaches for some. Too much bright white can be blinding.
Culture of White: In most Western countries white is the color for brides. In the East, it's the color for mourning and funerals. White is often associated with hospitals, especially doctors, nurses, and dentists. Some cultures viewed white as the color of royalty or of dieties. Angels are typically depicted as wearing white. In early Westerns the good guy wore white while the bad guy wore black.

Source

So perhaps your subconscious would pick up this subtle hint and associate un-purity, un-clean, and not innocent at all?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Sure.

And blue wasnt forceful enough. We all thumbed our noses at "BLUE"

So now we have the dreaded Black.

Nazi Black.

That would do it. Be afraid- very afraid.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Black uniforms also make them nearly invisiable in the middle of a dark night.They can sneak through the shadows and kick in your door,while you sleep!

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is so not true. I heard the San Francisco SWAT had tye dye and fez's to wear.

Black is a tactical color, nothing more and nothing less. I mean, I remember the Nazi's in the tan colored outfits with the armbands marching through the streets.

My questions is, what color should the be dg? BTW, hope all is well ahve not talked to you here in awhile.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
You gotta be kidding me. The picture you used is of SWAT officers...of course they are dressed in black..and they ARE supposed to represent intimidation and fear...when SWAT is involved things are at their worst...so if a black uniform and guys who look "mean" might make a guy give up a hostage or come out of a barricaded house...then so be it. But to insinuate that ALL police dress like that...its just stupid propaganda for police bashers. Lets look at some big mean police uniforms in service these days...

OH MY GOD...LOOK!!!!!! Even Jackie Chan wants in on the POLICE STATE...he wants to make you afraid...VERY afraid in his green and tan uniform....Whatch’ya gonna do when Jackie comes for you?????

So here is to your be afraid, be very afraid paranoid mind about "black" uniforms.....I HONESTLY would hate to see how some of you live if you have to deal with such fear from the time you wake up to the time you attempt to sleep....good lord!

[edit on 4/30/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If anybody bothered to read the story, it tells how MASSACHUSETTS policemen will all be trading in their "blue" uniforms for the Black.

Is the picture of policemen IN THEIR NEW UNIFORMS? NO, i dont think so.
Its what they WILL LOOK LIKE in the very near future.

READ the story, completely and then still dont beleive it because
i dont expect you to.

In fact, i hope its not true at all. I dont have a wish to see Boston cops all dressed in riot gear.

READ.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Plenty of regular duty cops wear black, and many are now even carrying ar15 style rifles as a show of force.

The switch to black is not accidental. it is not just a "Tactical color". Tan is a tactical color too, but how many cops do you see sporting it? Tan has a more professional and warm tone to it that many associate with public service.

I agree that there is too much of the "Oh look, cops are Nazis now" mentality floating around the web. But lets go ahead and give this credit for what it is, an intentional move to increase the rift in civilian/LEO relations.

BTW, a while back I saw a police officer in Tulsa, OK wearing tan slacks pulled over regular black boots, with a blue hockey jersey marked with his Dept. info and tucked into his slack, with full utility belt. Even though he was fully armed, ready, and obviously wearing armour under the jersey, he still looked far more approachable than any other Tulsa cop I have seen in their "tactical" black uniforms.

There was a study released not long ago, that stated that your mood and actions are effected by what you wear, and how your presented. This is an iteresting theory, considering how seldom you see police officers smile at people anymore...

[edit on 30-4-2008 by N1cotine]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I tried to edit this into my last post, but it wouldn't take for some reason...

An example of local Traffic cops (NOT SWAT) in their spiffy "Tactical" black unifroms.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Then read "WHY"....How unfortunate for me to have the "other" crowd online tonight.

What is it you dont get? Its telling you specifically they want to GIVE A FEELING OF TERROR....

I wont lose any sleep tonight over any of you.
Think whatever you want.
Its still a semi-free country.
Wood dee doop.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Sorry N1...those arent tactical...they are simply black in color. Easier to maintenance and keep clean....SIMPLE. Tactical is:

www.mansfieldpolice.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

If you haven't noticed...CRIME has gone through the roof since the days of Barney Fife...this isn't a cookie cutter society we live in anymore and NO the cops have nothing to do with that. PEOPLE have allowed others to run and gun, steal and deal, and create a society of theft, murder, robbery, school shootings, child rape, abuse, etc....just look at what we have these days...and you dont want a police force that can keep up with the changes?

Police no longer have time to walk down the street and shake hands and get to know people...buy a scanner and listen to it...ESPECIALLY in or near a city...every other minute there are calls of fights, drunks, drugs, shootings, gang activity, robbery, burglary, theft, assaults etc.....WE...not cops, WE allowed our society to get like this...WE got soft...felt bad for those who did horrible things...and now we live in it.....

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, here's what i think. I think little by little all policemen will be switched over to some sort of very military looking look in order to perpetuate the TERROR THEY HAVE HAD A PART IN SELLING FOR THE PAST YEARS.

This story doesnt sit well with me because its very close to home. You folks will not stop until you see tanks in the streets and you are prisoners in your own homes.

Paranoid? I dont think so- I can see the future.

Just "google" cops to wear black in Massachusetts and you will get quite a bit- must be other crazies out there besides me.

Nazi Black to serve you better.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

SO....wearing Black will take care of the whole thing. No doubt crime will go down because of the boogie men..tht makes as much sense as the original story.

In fact you agree with me.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
PRisonPlanet incites more FEAR than the Bush administation. I did read the article and it is nothing different than the forces who are also in NY, the anti terror squad. It is a presence. A deterrent. SHould you sit and wait or be proactive. These 'guys in black' are the same as the guys in blue or brown or whatever color you put them in. They are cops. They are there to stop ANY bad guy, foriegn or domestic that commits a crime in the US.

The same people who complain of the men in black will be the same who blame the government if there is another terror attack. There is no right answer..only left critcism.

Honestly, i would no care the color of the outfit if they broke in my door. I was trying to state that a black uniform is not uncommon and did not need the lesson on tactical dress.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If they change our uniforms, I want this one. I'll look funny, but MAN she can work for me anytime..

Is this better?

Semper

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
rcw, I agree with you to a point. We the people are partially to blame for giving up our will to defend ourselves, our vigilance against corruption (Both on our behalf and on the Police dept.'s) and for making excuse after excuse for those in our society who are legitimately evil. But this issue is not as simple as pointing the finger one way or the other and crying foul.

First off, crime for the most part is not as out of hand as many might think. I have listened to the scanner, and have seen the news. Even in Tulsa crime is mostly petty and easily scrubbed up by patrol cops. But even if crime had gotten so out of hand that criminals were getting involved in shootouts with the police once a week, does that justify terrorizing the rest of the community?

There are multiple elements contributing to the break-down of civilian/police relations, ranging from our bizarre entertainment industry, lack of proper parenting, to corruption within departments. None of these problems can be fixed overnight, but if we can prevent new ones from arising, such as say, a policy of civilian intimidation, before it gets out of hand, than that is a win for everyone.

And just in case I was correct in detecting a bit of defensiveness from you, I am a student at NSU majoring in Criminal Justice, with plans to become a State Trooper, so you can rest knowing your not being confronted by one of the hundreds of "kids" online who just hate cops to be hating cops.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Semper,

No doubt you'd look sweet.

You know what? Nobody can get to me, and some of you are my friends and you know what? Besame el ________.

Como si fuera esto noche la ultima vez.
Besame, Besame mucho,
como si fuera esta noche la ultima vez.

Good night and always glad to provide comedic releif- been doing it since 2004.

Its the "RED" uniforms we must be watchful of.

Vayan en paz.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Esdad, always a pleasure, my friend.

Always, DG

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Yes, ofcourse that must be the case.

Its probabaly why I wear a black suit to work most days - Its because I want to install a sense of fear and dominance over people. Either that or there is some sort of racial under tone.

Maybe because it looks smart

Why do people always see the negative in these things. If you look hard enough you will find it everywhere - you're not finding anything new here.

The psychology behind colours; its not a master case of conspiracy, its just human attraction for reasons that are different to many different people.

I would propose 'Those at the top' of the police e.g. the management level have made a policy decision that a new look would be nice. Lets look modern and professional.

'What colour shall we wear? - Purple??'

'No, that would look rather silly'

'How about a nice smart black?'

'That's a fine idea, lets go with the black'

The correct answer is usually the most simple.

SP

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join