It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recession? What Recession?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Just a note here...

If "we" are going to "claim" that every statistic we don't agree with is manipulated, where do we find the truth?

Do you follow me on this?

Sure, I know this is a conspiracy site and everything is up for grabs as far as disbelief goes, but at some point we have to draw a line and make a stand. If we choose to disbelieve everything, then by definition, we can believe nothing.

Of course statistics can be manipulated, in every sense of the word. "We" can manipulate them ourselves to fit our own parameters within this conversation. When we do that, the conversation can have no logical outcome for any statement I make, or you make, can be claimed to be suspect in regards to manipulation of statistics or even subject matter.

Catch 22

The one thing we have to be sure and avoid, is looking at National Economics, or even Global Economics, in regards to our own personal stories or those of our acquaintances.. I see that a lot on here. What you get when discussing National or Global economics are statements like, "Well in my home town" or "My state just started", all completely inconsequential on the National or Global scale.

I have looked at the figures put out by sites such as..

Labor Statistics
and
White House
and
The Economy.com

All of the information there makes a lot of sense if you study it...

Now I am not going to tell you things are perfect, far from it. I just filled my Truck up and it took 97.00, so perfect? NO!!!

But things are not as bad as some would make them out to be. As previously stated, the Democrats HAVE to portray things as bad to have any chance at the White House. That is their only defense for a change. So if your looking for the manipulation of statistics, look at the Democrats; it is their only hope...

Semper

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
But a lot of personal experiences add up to a National experience.

But just like market speculation, personal speculation can also have an affect on Markets.

I've been talking to a Realtor recently..She is making a crapload of cash right now. Other Realtors are not making much money. Why is she doing well?

It's because she is a "bulldog"..One tough lady who is able to deal with bankers.
She is making her money on Short-sales. Selling homes quickly at a reduced price. And having the banks agree to take what they can get.

This keeps the homeowner from Having a foreclosure on their record. And the banks lose less money than if they take over the property, and have to sell it themselves.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I want to know where the truth really is? We can read all the news and personal experiences and come out with nothing. Youtube won't do it, media won't do it, personal experience won't do it because just like someone has said/, there are people out there making tons of money while others are sinking. Oil companies are making the money at a bad time but what do they do? Shut down and make things worse? Lay off employees and make it harder to supply the demand? Economies have gone up and down and we have to do our best to endure them. Some do better while others do worse. Just like we have the rich and the poor in a good economy. Quit blaming it on anyone but your selfs and do something to help this country and yourself.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

I agree with that sentiment. That the "real truth" belongs to personal experiences. And they are all different. Things get a little whacked when certain personal experiences begin to become common. When populations begin to share the same problems. Then it makes news, and the news runs with it.

It's singularly, and collectively "in our .s".

We need a national psychiatrist.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Where do we look for the truth? How about around us?

The figures I gave in an earlier post on this very thread are not some personal situation only; they are indicative of what I am seeing firsthand as I drive across 4 states. The amounts may be approximate (or conservative, as was pointed out to me), but they are enough to know that people are hurting everywhere you look.

The trucking industry sees the ups and downs of the economy first. We always have. In my present job, loads are scheduled and canceled based on real-time sales in each store. So I see dips and upswings as they occur across a four state region.

From January through now, loads are down. Stores which have been receiving six loads a week may receive four. There is talk from high up that we should expect an upsurge of sales in the next couple of months, but that so far is speculative, based on what paid economists with no ties to government are suggesting to the company. Their jobs rely on being right, so I think they can be trusted.

You just put $97.00 worth of gas in your truck, semper. That alone should tell you something. Look at the prices of milk, fuel, eggs, cars... all have risen in the last couple of years. Hide and watch wheat prices rise, now that we are importing food so we can waste what we grow on E85. It's going to get worse, a lot worse, before it can get better. If it hasn't already, it will soon affect you as well.

reply to post by Solarskye

Thanks, I love to hear that, since it is such a rare thing these days. If you really want to make me smile, the next time you see a big truck trying to move over into a lane, slow down and give him some room.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I don't know if I mentioned this in a previous reply but the 1Q GDP numbers assume an annualized rate of inflation of 2.4%. Is there anyone who believes we are seeing inflation at a yearly rate of 2.4%? That assumption in itself makes the GDP etimate useless IMHO. Adjust that to something a little more realistic and there would have been negative GDP growth. Let's revisit this thread after the 1Q GDP number is revised (who knows it might even have a more realistic inflation #).

[edit on 6-5-2008 by jefwane]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join