It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrest Bush : Bush Confesses to Waterboarding. Call D.C. Cops!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by ppskylight

How does one gain the authority to 'proclaim' what is or isn't torture? I consider it the height of inhumanity to defend water boarding after have witnessed it firsthand, and with the advent of the internet, that experience is available to anyone who really wants to see it first hand, before passing judgment. But I suppose that may have to do with my age and my total lack of interest in the voyeuristic aspect of 'justice.'

Because of the violence involved, and my inability to clinically detach myself from the victim's desperation to escape and fear of imminent death, I will not be swayed by mere verbal assurances from the torturer that 'this saves lives.' Until a water-boarding victim actually corroborates that violence was averted, I won't yield to notion that we can trust our 'professional interrogators' with such dehumanizing power.

So if you're questioning who can designate what is and isn't torture, I could use the same argument against you in favor of water boarding. Who are you to classify it as torture, I thought torture was the infliction of severe pain, maybe something like what an American soldier would experience if captured in Iraq, like having acid poured on him, or being tortured by a power drill.

And where do you think you will find this corroboration of a waterboarding "victim", or expieriencee? I'm sure many terror suspects who have been water boarded would be glad to tell you all about their great little plans after the fact, when they aren't under stress, safely sitting in prison. Not. These terror suspects are water boarded for a reason, because they will not talk unless they reasonably believe they are in true danger, though they are not. That is not the definition of torture, torture includes inflicting serious pain. The fact is, if you had ever talked to anybody involved in waterboarding you would know it is an effective technique that leaves the detainee intact for trial. If you want torture look at what they do to our soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan when captured. You all know exactly what I'm talking about.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by ppskylight]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ppskylight

Actually the question I asked is "How does one gain the authority to 'proclaim' what is or isn't torture?"

Perhaps if you weren't so focused on the offensive you might have realized that the question itself is neutral. I did expect those objections you raised but in the end, it's always the same. I did note however your continuing reference to what our soldiers are subjected to. Do you consider water boarding 'justice'?

By the way, what makes you think I haven't spoken to our 'professional interrogators' personally? I actually worked along side them for many (many) years.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Maxmars]

CX

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm sure the point of this thread is that Bush signed off on torture, yet anyone else would probably be awaiting trial by now.

Nothing has been done and nothing is being reported. Thats disgusting, can anyone with morals really argue that?

I can't see how DD is in the wrong here. Maybe the location of the thread could be debated as it's ongoing news rather than breaking, but otherwise, Bush and his pals are behaving like a they are a law unto themselves.

Like what he posts or not, DD has contributed much to this place, and it is then up to us to agree or disagree.

Is there any need for yet another thread to descend into a flame fest?

CX.

CX

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
On the waterboarding subject, i'm on the fence whether it's ok or not ok, torture or not torture.

However, i think that anyone who says it's fine should experience it first hand. Not like Fox News shows it, i mean how it really gets carried out.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join