It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Stabbed in Queue Waiting for GTA IV Video Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Man Stabbed in Queue Waiting for GTA IV Video Game

news.uk.msn.com

Police are hunting a hooded man who stabbed a passer-by as he waited to buy a new edition of a notoriously violent computer game.

Up to 100 people witnessed the knife attack as they queued ahead of the midnight release of Grand Theft Auto IV.

The 23-year-old victim was attacked as he passed the queue outside Gamestation, in George Street, Croydon, at about 11pm.

Police said he did not call for help but a witness informed police who found him a short distance away.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The creators of the hugely successful Grand Theft Auto series have come under fire for their depiction of casual violence, drug dealing and prostitution.

notoriously violent computer game

Oh SO NOTORIOUS -.-.

Another attack on video games, GTA is kind of violent, but it's for adults so... Their responisbility.

news.uk.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It is also an insanely fun game. My wife bought it for me last night as an early b-day gift and after the kids went to bed I played it for a few hours. This morning I did not, however, have to fight any urges to steal a car, stab a pedestrian, or curb stomp the elderly. Honestly, it's just one of the many things that scare me about the idea of Hillary Clinton OR Obama in the White House. Both of them seem to consider video games a whole lot more important and in need of regulation than anyone with any intelligence ever would. It's just one more example of redirecting the actual blame for teen crime away from the real problems, which would take blood, sweat, tears, and an actual sense of responsibillity to fix, and shifting it onto an easier, less painfull to blame target (games, movies, TV, music.)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i dont know about you, but after playing gta3 for a few months after it came out, all I was thinking about while driving, was how fun it would be to just smash into their car, jump out while still moving, rip them out of their car and then beat them unmercifully for cutting me off, or looking like someone who cut me off.

Of course, the threat to financial, physical and ultimately mortal damage always wins in real life... until I find the cheat code, that is.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I don't know that they are scrutinizing the game itself, rather pointing out a morbid irony.

I mean, as far as games go, GTA is pretty "notorious" for being violent, however I don't think anyone is blaming the game for this situation.

You can literally run up and stab passers by in GTA, which IS pretty darn randomly violent, even for video games. I think there indeed needs to be a case made for the connection between this real life violence and the game, because maybe someone did it out of irony and not because they were influenced. Or maybe it was a gang initiation, but either way, it might be less random than it sounds.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
there are games right now training kids to become special ops, counter strike, soldier front, team fortress.... Yet we dont have kids running around trying to steal the modem from a high security base, lol

Its a way to leave this Troublesome world for a few hours that is all....

Until we move into VR instruments, that are real sized mp5s, with all the bells an whistles. then you can cry fowl on games.... But as its just a mouse an keyboard an experie3nce u can get from any movie as well I dont see the problem, CNN and so forth are fine at showing more heinous content as news stories....

Honestly..... News is more damaging then games are....

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Games like GTA prevent a larger scale event (psychologically). If you play the game, you rather stay home and pretend to be a REAL gangster than going out and do the delinquencies.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
from what i heard of the story, the victim ignored going to hospital, instead going straight home to fetch a knife and returned to the scene looking for revenge...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Marcus Brigstock made a brilliant joke about this yesterday on Live at the Apollo.

You know a lot of people are criticizing the new GTA game for being a negative influence on our youngsters, and a lot of people are saying that kids playing this game will be more likely to go out into the real world and commit similar acts of violence.

By that logic, considering most of my generation spent time playing Pacman, We would be sitting in a dark room, listening to monotonous music and munching pills. Ohhhh!..."

But seriously, a game doesn't make people go out and commit violent acts! If millions of others can play the game without it "making" them turn violent, then what sense is there in censorship or banning to stop the tiny, tiny minority (3 out of millions) from copying the game in real life.

In any case, the courts in America have previously thrown out a case for diminished responsibility for murder with citing GTA as a mitigating cause.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by 44soulslayer]

new topics

top topics

join