It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sky's the Limit thread, a glimpse into voyeuristic exercising

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is an excellent program for increasing your vertical jump, as in getting up there to dunk. If can dunk it'll only make you get up higher. Anyway, I've tried this program off and on in the past two years but I've always had to stop because of some huge thing happening. But now I think things have settled down and I can do this program.

I was thinking it'd be great to do with another person, by simple updates to this thread. That way I wouldn't slack off as much.

The site is here: www.e-trainercentral.com...
I'm doing: www.e-trainercentral.com...

it's 15 weeks, but you should gains very quickly. Anyway so if you want in, just join and post tot his thread every week. I found a court with an adjustable rim, so along with sky's the limit, i'm dunking on 9',6" and movign it up every so often.

----
week - 2/27/04

Current Vertical: (I think) 26"

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I can't believe that no one on ATS has mad hop. That's just absurd! How the hell are you going to dunk over G. Bush when the NWO collapses!?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just the thought of dunking over Bush. lol, that made my day
lol

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
For the record, you know, Osama Bin Laden is estimated to be 6 foot 6 inches, so he could defintely dunk over Bush anyday, anytime.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Back on topic here:

----
week - 2/29/04
Current Vertical: 27" (not exactly measured, but probable)

Notes - I am recovering from muscle soreness a lot faster. Drinking a lot more water (that's probably why).

Noticed complete failure to have a consistent shot setup and an apathy about the game. I don't keep track of the score and kinda don't care. I will fix these two problem with specialized practice.

Hopefully will be taking creatine and protein soon. This might give some extreme gains.

EDIT - I measured something incorrectly. Disregard this measurement.
----

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
----
week - 3/07/04

Current Vertical: 18.5 inches; measured from standing jump and subtracting reach (8 feet)

notes- I have no idea what the hell is going on here. I can know my vert has increased, because I run and grab more of the rim. Yet I'm somehow gaining about 6.5 inches from running and jumping, which is absurd. Anyone have a clue?

Anyway, this program is defintely increasing my stamina and I'm seeing solid gains as better player, too. I do know its natural to see loses because the muscles are tired. The 5th week, which is a rest week, is when gains actually happen.

----
edit- fixed bad math
[Edited on 13-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You might want to try some weight training to increase overall leg power...squats, power cleans, and calf raises would be a good combination for increasing your verticle.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The program I'm following does all that except for power cleans. I only have barbell free weights. It gives a solid base ... I'm only on the second week so I'll see more gains. The previous measurements were from running and grabbing the rim, which is why they are so much higher.

edit - I wonder if th eprevious measurements are wrong, but its like this: I can grab the rim, up to the second knuckle. So I'm jumping up to 122", with a 96" reach -> 26 vert. But today I did a straight up jump, 114.5 - 96 = 18.5 Whatever. I'll see where I'm at by week 10.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
well, running and jumping will of course give you more than just jumping straight up...power cleans are done with barbells, they really help your explosive power.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yeah i know that but gaining 7.5 inches seems a little extreme. That's why i wonderd what the hell was going one. I'll add powercleans to the routine too. They look nice.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
----
week - 3/14/04

Current Vertical- No change: 18.5 inches;

The excercises are starting to get hard. I can feel the burn in almost every excercise set I do, which is how it should be.

My ankles hurt a little bit but the tenderness always goes away. I think my body is just getting used to new stress.

The program says the rest week is when you usually see big gains in your vertical jump. That's about a week from now.
----

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hey man, this looks interesting.

I'm a big basketball fan my self, and anything to improve my performance, I'll try

We're currently having snow again, but this should be the last time, and as soon as it's over, I'm gonna get out my basketball ring and start practicing with the training program you suggested.

Haven't seen the thread earlier, I'm here less & less often theses days...

Just for the record, how tall are ya, kptr?

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Good to see another ats'er working his mad hop
I tried to get a friend of mine (cough cough dave cough cough) but I haven't heard from him yet.

For the record, I'm six feet tall with a reach of 8 feet. I weigh 160 pounds (72.57 kilograms).

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I gotta try this, I am 5'9" and can touch a 10' rim. 8 more inches to my jump and Im there.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hey, that's cool. I just love basketball, had my own ring last summer, used to spend nights practicing alone lol...

I'm 6 foot tall too, but got 20 lbs more than you (yeah, got a little beer belly, there's probably 10 lbs in there that I should lose to be at my best)

I don't know how I high I can jump, but I know I defenitly can't dunk a regular 10 foot basketball ring.

Working right now on getting a 6 pack, I know basketball kick ass to burn useless fat. Can't wait to start balling again. Looking foward to when the crappy weather will stop too so I can start back to jog too.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
----
week - 3/21/04

Current Vertical- No change: 18.5 inches

Well I'm disappointed. My vert isn't increasing, but at least it isn't decreasing. I test it by jumping up against a brick wall ... which I think is limiting my vert because I dont want to smash myself against a brick wall.

I guess I could test my vert by standing under a bball rim. I have a feeling that I can touch the rim, but not the 120" mark on a brick wall. I'll switch to this next in week 6; I can mark inches off on my finger so I can see how far (if) i go over the rim.

I'm eager to see improvement after this coming week with no excercise. I'm afraid I won't see a change.
----

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
---
3/30 Interim period.

I was shooting around today and I decided, for the hell of it, to run and attempt a dunk (10 foot rim). Much to my suprise the ball got caught for a split second on the rim and i was able to just barely push it over. So I'm about an inch away from being able to dunk completely.

The only problem is that I kinda bruised my fingertips because I can't get quite high enough and my fingertips come down hard on the rim ... not open air. OUch!

But this program is defintely giving me results. I will not be taking creatine because I don't need it.

EDIT - it turns out that the rim was one of those adjustable ones. This particular one can't be adjusted (someone stole the crank) but its two inches below regulation, 118".
---

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Monday, my work day ended at 12h, so I went to play basketball with a few friends in a school court, played like 3 hours in a row.

Now I barely can walk, climb stairs or sit without letting my self fall like a damn rock. It hurts...

I can't even touch a 10 ' ring, only grabbing the net.
Will try harder when I'm able to walk again lol...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Be careful there! Some excercises work people differently, so you might want to scale down an excercise. If you get hurt you can't train, so don't get hurt

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yeah, I know, but I just couldn't stop my self. Had a rush of energy to burn anyway, and it was the first day this year I played, so I was just freaking enjoying it ! lol...

And I had added a bit of brazilian herbal the (contain guarana) in my shake at dinner, so...

So, how are your progress?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join