It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking Facts Thread!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Freud in his book Moses and Monotheism makes two brilliant statements both of which most find very difficult to accept because they are I believe so true.

1. That Moses was in fact an Egyptian and was inaccurately painted as a Jew, this has had a more modern outing by some other authors but it’s usually dismissed by those that are entrenched in their religious dogma. This leads to his second tenant
2. He maintains that we (you me everyone) have this need to create something/anything that will distract us from our one major fear. That we are powerless in this existence and doomed to simply live and die. Period!

Being a recovering Catholic and abandoning this religious slavery many years ago, I can see exactly what he meant, especially when you look truthfully at it all and especially religion as a means of escapism and those that believe, I mean really believe, are only kidding themselves at a deeper level. Angles and lights and feelings and things that happen can be transmuted into anything ‘God’ like by our brain and desperate need to remove the awful truth. Then those that abandon religion usually head straight for another more personal route i.e. Spirituality, and off they go on the same self denial of true nothingness just to fill the void.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The Platypus is the only mammal that lays eggs... and get this, its poisonous!

All Monotremes lay eggs actually.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

You do the OP no favors by posting a bunch of mostly opinions when he asks for facts. This could be a neat thread if it can avoid the pitfalls of people proselytizing. I know for a fact you lie about the compressed air cans because I've done it and lived. I definitely could have died, and no one should do it, but kids can be dumb...anyway, it's not a fact.

I'll think of some if I can.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
The Platypus is the only mammal that lays eggs... and get this, its poisonous!

Here's something you didn't know:

ALL monotremes lay eggs. Platypuses (platipi?) are only one type of monotreme!

[edit on 6-5-2008 by _Del_]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
1) In California a city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits..... So don't do it!

2) In Baldwin Park (wherever that is): Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.

3) It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

4) It is illegal to eat an orange in your bath tub
(some how I don't think so)

5) Molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine. (interesting correlation with item 1!!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
How about deciding someones motives for them, no court case their wasnt even a crime committed just a mistake of a group of other people. So I got a unjust life sentence of biological or chemical warfare and I dont really know who people see when I am around. In the county I live in and if other people know parts from rumors or misinformation, even from me 2005 when I was emailing a paragragh and got no response. Now imagine from the start everyone has been lying to you that the thing that started all of this never happened and real possibilities of them and everyone connected to you getting paid for your explotation. But then again I wasnt even supposed to live this long to find these things out, or freedom to be sober and understand them. I am talking about decided a Columbiner and given the hatred aimed at them or if decided someone were to arrange a copycat assanation attempt or scare tactic of grade and families like a terroist, clockwork disaster masterpiece or biblical damnation . War on several fronts or (psychological warfare) espionage, diplomacy and severe paranoia, Read my post.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by P. O. W.]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
ok, here's a few useless facts! not sure how shocking they are but here goes!

the proper name for taxi's in england is hackney carriages, after the suburb called hackney in london, which is where the public carriage office is located.

hackney carriages or "cabs" used to be horse drawn and to this day it is still against the law if you fail to have on board your cab a bail of hay and a bag of oats!

Male rhesus monkeys often hang from tree branches by their very strong willies!!

The trucking company Elvis Presley worked at before he was famous was owned by Frank Sinatra.

Human saliva has a boiling point three times hotter than water.

weird huh!!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It is leagle for a gent to pee in a public place if it is against the rear off side wheel of his vehicle and his right hand is on the roof.

A pregnant woman can pee where ever she wishes - and if she requests to do that in a police mans helmet and there is no other solution then the copper must hand over the hat!

Andrew Waugh (a surveyor) was the first person to put 2 feet on the top of mount Everest... Not not actually Sir Edmund Hillary nor Tenzing Norgay...

Andrew Waugh was the first to accurately measure Mount Everest as 29,000 feet exactly. But when he told people this extroadinary fact the public never believed him, and said it was all to unreal. This really annoyed Waugh and so he added another TWO feet onto the original measurement, therefore making the height of Mount Everest, 29,002 feet.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
oh and here's a really disgusting one....

if you rub a little bit of dog poo on an insect bite it will reduce swelling and relieve itching!

i hasten to add i have never tried it myself!!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The Federal Reserve is a privately owned corporation, just like Coca-Cola. It's shareholders are secret. The income tax pays the interest on a debt of money created from thin air, not worked for or earned.

CFCs were prohibited due to threats to the ozone layer. The company that held the patents for chemicals such as Freon was running out on the time allowed by patent laws for them to retain a monopoly on this product. Once CFCs were prohibited, the same company had patents on the chemicals that were to replace them, guaranteeing them high profits on easy to make chemicals for decades to come...

The editor for the Popular Mechanics article "Debunking 911 Lies", Benjamin Chertoff is cousin to homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff.

The grandfather of the current president, Prescott Bush, worked for I.G. Farben, a financial group found guilty under the Trading With The Enemy Act for dealings with Hitler and the Nazis during WW2.

The top floors of the world trade centers reached the ground in the same amount of time it would take them to fall through empty air, even though there was a building directly beneath them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join