It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fence Comments by Tancredo Gets Jeered in Brownsville, TX

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I hope this is the right area to post this

Tancredo R-Colorado:

"If you don't like the idea (of a fence), maybe you should consider building the fence around the northern part of your city," Tancredo said amid jeers from the audience."

Newsweek Article

Edit: amended a sentence

[edit on 30/4/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Tancredo tells it like it is.

Turning a blind eye to illegal immigration has got to stop and, sadly, we need barriers to help stanch the flow of people and contraband across the border.

"I think it'll be a good idea," says Joe Metz, a farmer who raises sugar cane, cattle and citrus trees on 1,100 riverfront acres west of McAllen. Many nights, undocumented immigrants stream across his property, hiding out amid the sugar cane. Even worse, Metz says he often sees drug smugglers ferrying bales of dope across the river in rubber rafts and loading them onto vehicles that venture onto his fields. "They'll stare at you and dare you to pick up your cell phone and call for help," he says. A border wall would help fend them off, in his view. "I'd like to see them toss 50-pound bales over an 18-foot wall."

www.newsweek.com...

Personally, I think that's a good alternative. If Brownsville wants to be selfish about national security, if their allegiance is to Mexico and not the US, put the fence to the north, that way Brownsville will be happy and there will still be a barrier to illegal immigration toward the north.

I don't think that Tancredo meant that as a serious plan, but in light of the heckling, it was a quick and effective response.

[edit on 2008/4/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I live about 25 miles from Brownsville.

I could not agree with you more.

The place looks like Mexico, smells like Mexico, and you are treated like you are in Mexico. Never mind the people driving like they are in Mexico

No one would really miss it

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I am not so sure about a physical fence, although it would slow some things down, drug runners will always find a way (sadly). That said, I think states need to step up like Oklahoma did in passing their bill HB1804.

Not a physical fence, but with these new laws it is definitely a mental one.

And not sure how good liveleak is, but a great article there about unemployment down while nation is going up, and attributing it to this.

www.liveleak.com...

top topics

join