It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney lawyer claims Congress has no authority over vice-president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Cheney lawyer claims Congress has no authority over vice-president

www.guardian.co.uk

Elana Schor guardian.co.uk, Tuesday April 29 2008

The exception claimed by Cheney's counsel came in response to requests from congressional Democrats that David Addington, the vice-president's chief of staff, testify about his involvement in the approval of interrogation tactics used at Guantanamo Bay.

Ruling out voluntary cooperation by Addington, Cheney lawyer Kathryn Wheelbarger said Cheney's conduct is "not within the [congressional] committee's power of inquiry".

"Congress lacks the constitutional power to regulate by law what a vice-president communicates in the performance of the vice president's official duties, or what a vice president recommends that a president communicate," Wheelbarger wrote to senior aides on Capitol Hill.

The exception claimed by Cheney's office recalls his attempt last year to evade rules for classified documents by deeming the vice-president's office a hybrid branch of government - both executive and legislative.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is patently absurd... first and foremost the Vice President is an elected official. he is not a power unto himself or a hybrid branch of government... he can (and should) be impeached and removed just like the president can (and should)... the very fact that he simply refuses to co-operate with congress should be grounds for his impeachment, or at the very least a citation for contempt... and if he is as he claims, part of congress, then he has a responsiblity to answer to it as well.

Either way it stinks to holy hell.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
No doubt, it stinks and I agree he should be thrown out of the White House.
He is using his power for his own personal gain and does not care what anyone says because he feels he is untouchable.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

i think there is a contempt of congress law, where the sargent-at-arms can phsyically take a member of the executive branch to jail, but i can't remember the law or the reference. so i'm not a good sourse

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I think that is the one I am referring to... of course he would claim immunity as the president of the senate.

top topics

join