It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Question For Barack Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
First I would like to provide you all with a quote that I am sure you are already familiar with, but one that is very important in light of recent events. This quote is from Barack Obama taken from his speech on race March 18, 2008.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can disown my white grandmother...

The full speech can be found here

Fast forward a little over a month to yesterday when we get this quote from Obama on Wright's comments...

They offend me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced. And that’s what I’m doing very clearly and unequivocally today.

The full article on this can be found here

Now here is my question for Barack Obama.

Now that you have came out publicly and disowned Wright, when can we expect the news conference where you disown the black community?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Ehhh I think you're missing that Wright went on the attack. Anyone's gonna change their tone after that. Check the news.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

EDIT FOR FLAG INCREASE
EIGHT FLAGS

So seven people don't recognize the fact that "denounce" and "disown" are completely different meanings. Way to twist the words to fit your "question."

To denounce comments and to disown a community is waaaaaaaay different. IMHO.

AAC

[edit on 2-5-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

[edit on 2-5-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kpoff
Ehhh I think you're missing that Wright went on the attack. Anyone's gonna change their tone after that. Check the news.

That’s kind of my point here. Obama only decided to distance himself from Wrights comments when he saw that is was hurting him politically. Up until that point he seemed to have no issue with the remarks of Wright. This has only served to reveal himself to be nothing more than the average politician who will do anything for political expediency.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
So seven people don't recognize the fact that "denounce" and "disown" are completely different meanings. Way to twist the words to fit your "question."

It's not the wording or how things were said. The simple fact of the matter is that only 48 hours before Obama disowned (or denounced) Wright, he was out defending him and saying there was nothing wrong with the comments. Then two days later he is out there saying he disagrees with everything he says and is offended by his comments.

To denounce comments and to disown a community is waaaaaaaay different. IMHO.

Just because he didn't use the word disown when talking about Wright doesn't mean that isn't what hes doing. Distancing yourself as far away as possible from someone who earlier you said you could never do that to is the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I find it interesting that Wright's comments haven't exactly radicalized in recent months, and it wasn't that long ago that Obama was quoted as being a great friend of his. Now fast forward to today, Wright is still spewing the same material.. and suddenly Obama is trying to distance himself from Wright. I think it's hypocritical because I haven't seen a huge change in the material being spewed.

I'm not sure how much or little this will impact the vote, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Fittingly, I had to watch CBS to catch this story. If I had of turned to CNN, I'm sure it would of been quite the opposite. I haven't watched CBS enough to see if they are "pro" or "anti" anyone, but I genuinely believe that CNN is lobbying overtly for an Obama candidacy and election win.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Which seems quite odd too Chissler. Not that CNN would support and lobby for anyone other than a Democratic candidate, but that their candidate would be someone other than a Clinton.

After all, CNN does stand for Clinton News Network doesn't it?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
What do you expect? The media is blowing this whole thing totally out of proportion and Hillary is more than happy to run with it.

It has to be addressed because it has been made into something... not because it is.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Obama recognized that Wright's comments in the past were inflammatory and racist and he never completely agreed with them, as his 45 minute race speech explained in detail. That was the entire point of his speech, to recognize that these are real opinions out there and that they need to be dealt with.

As for Wright's recent comments, it's come to the point with the media blowing everything that Wright says up much more than they do with the evangelist advisers to the Republican candidates, that Obama now needs to publicly distinguish his own beliefs from that of an old grissled preacher.

There is no contradiction, only selective quoting.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Questions like "Now that you have came out publicly and disowned Wright, when can we expect the news conference where you disown the black community?" perfectly illustrate why sensationalized/yellow media works. People don't care enough (or in some cases, aren't intelligent enough) to make the distinction between denouncing statements and disowning a person/community; thus fallacious rhetorical "questions" get asked in order to score political "points".

[edit on 5/2/08 by redmage]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Well said.

And I wish I had of been more careful in the wording of my previous post because I do believe that there is a degree of selective quoting coming into play. It's not entirely the issue, but it is a component.

I have one horse in this race as a non-voter, and that is equality.

I will not accept a standard for Obama that does not apply to Hillary. And I will not accept a standard for McCain that does not apply to Hillary. (You get the idea)

Too often on the board I have seen blatant double standards being applied, and it's wrong. Hillary should not be hindered because she is a woman, and Obama because he is a black man. McCain is a white male, he has nothing to worry about.

I'll be spending the afternoon mulling this one over. Is this a double standard being applied to Obama? Or is this, to a degree, how it appears on much of the mainstream media?

I could offer my opinion now, but I'll think about it for a bit and respond further later in the day.

Excellent thread, guys.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Too often on the board I have seen blatant double standards being applied, and it's wrong. Hillary should not be hindered because she is a woman, and Obama because he is a black man. McCain is a white male, he has nothing to worry about.

The thing that is most suprising is that statistics have shown that more voters would be prone to not vote for a candidate based on age before they would based on either sex or ethnicity. John Mccain is old, and that turns many voters off.

While I agree that the press is over doing it a bit in regards to the whole Wright fiasco, I would say that Obama had better develop a pretty thick skin for the months to come. If he is having a difficult time maintaining his posture right now, just wait until the republicans have their turn to press the issue. It is not going to go away.

They are going to have a field day with this topic.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In my opinion Barack Obama has never Denounced Wright, only his comments. It tells me they're still on friendly terms. It's just another of Obama's attempts at verbal slieght of hand. Sadly, most people don't know the difference.

[edit on 5/2/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm glad this thread is starting to get people talking about this issue on a different level than we have seen here previously.

The original question I have posed here is one that I have heard from several different news sources over the last few days. I've worded my entire post as closely to how the MSM media presents this as possible to see what kind of reaction it would garner from members here.

Now those of you who know me here at ATS will also know that I am not an Obama supporter by any stretch of the imagination. You will also know that I am not a McCain supporter either, (and let's not even discuss Hillary
) and while I do think some of Obamas' positions are wrong for this country, I am really seeing this election from a neutral place.

I find it fascinating how this issue is being played out in the media and am continually intrigued to see how other members here respond.

JSR

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
In my opinion Barack Obama has never Denounced Wright, only his comments. It tells me they're still on friendly terms. It's just another of Obama's attempts at verbal slieght of hand. Sadly, most people don't know the difference.

what's wrong with them being on friendly terms? are you telling me you are only on friendly terms with people who agree with you? I could be reading you wrong. I've done that a few times to people in the past couple of days.

I see no problem with barack remaining friends with this guy. sure the guy has some very ridicules opinions. and he has mobilized a great many people and organizations to follow him. but, and here is the kicker, not everyone who follows this man agrees with everything the man says. so he has some whacked out views of white people and the government. so what. so do lots of people on this board.

I grew up in a Baptist church. I almost never agreed with the preacher. however, from time to time I did believe what he said. depends on the topic of discussion. lots of people who sit in those pews every Sunday agree only half the time with the preacher. they come for the "fellowship, and for the food" as my preacher would say some times. I came because my parents made, but that is for a different thread.

my point here is this. it takes a strong mind to see past someone's stupidity and still care deeply for them. to enjoy the differences in yourselves. to argue the nuances of life with someone who disagrees. if done properly, both can grow from the experiences.

ill be willing to bet. it is hard for barack to have to face this. im sure both of these men want the same thing for the country. which is change from the current course. but, both men have very different methods of change, as well as, reasons for the change.

I for one think it is showing a great deal of character for the way he has delt with this issue. very presidential. he still scares me though. but, that is another thread.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
what's wrong with them being on friendly terms? are you telling me you are only on friendly terms with people who agree with you? I could be reading you wrong. I've done that a few times to people in the past couple of days.
There's nothing wrong with their being friends, it's the relationship they have previously shared that troubles me.

Should Barack become the president, will he once again fall under the ati-American, racially divisive influence of Jermiah Wright? Wright hates America, and he hates white people. Everything he's said for the past 20 years attests to that.

I see no problem with barack remaining friends with this guy. sure the guy has some very ridicules opinions. and he has mobilized a great many people and organizations to follow him. but, and here is the kicker, not everyone who follows this man agrees with everything the man says. so he has some whacked out views of white people and the government. so what. so do lots of people on this board.
His opinions are not just ridiculous, they're racist and unpatriotic.

I grew up in a Baptist church. I almost never agreed with the preacher. however, from time to time I did believe what he said. depends on the topic of discussion. lots of people who sit in those pews every Sunday agree only half the time with the preacher. they come for the "fellowship, and for the food" as my preacher would say some times. I came because my parents made, but that is for a different thread.
I'm Baptist as well, but I've change churches several times because I didn't like the message being preached. I dislike profanity, I dislike theatrics, and I most especially dislike insincerity. If you're going to preach the word of God, you should live your life according to it as well.

my point here is this. it takes a strong mind to see past someone's stupidity and still care deeply for them. to enjoy the differences in yourselves. to argue the nuances of life with someone who disagrees. if done properly, both can grow from the experiences.
I don't think Obama disagrees with the Reverend Wright. It was a political move denouncing his words. You don't spend 20 years in a church whose message you disagree with. Barack is either extremely slow-witted and gullible, or simply a liar. Neither quality makes him suitable for President.

ill be willing to bet. it is hard for barack to have to face this. im sure both of these men want the same thing for the country. which is change from the current course. but, both men have very different methods of change, as well as, reasons for the change.
I'm sure it is difficult for him to face. The more people look at Reverend Wright, the more they look at him. I don't think Barack will be able to bear too much serious scrutiny.

I for one think it is showing a great deal of character for the way he has delt with this issue. very presidential. he still scares me though. but, that is another thread.
I think Barack is lacking in character myself. The more lies he tells, the worse the outlook gets for him. Wait till the MSM starts publicizing some of his wife's comments about America and White people on national TV.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It is disheartening to see others just waiting around for something like this to happen and then say "I told you so". People like this are the ones that feel that this process is doomed to fail and do nothing to help, and cheer when things go awry. Well I hope you are enjoying the show.

In my opinion, I think the whole Reverend Write issue has brought up something that we sometimes forget. The fact is there is a significant portion of the population that distrusts the government. It may come out as sounding like some unimaginable conspiracy, but the reason that foments the idea is no different than one that may perpetuate one that you believe in. They don't sound much different than some of the members here at ATS. Are some of us really so different than that crazy reverend?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Geeshus, is it Liberal/Ignorant/Apoligist night here on ATS??

How can anyone with an IQ over 100 not know Obama is a flip-flopper. He is shifting his "political wind" to align with voters views. He does not have good, honorable character.

Do some research!

Original Poster: You should be running Hillidawg's campaign. At least post the question as a YouTube video or something ..maybe make a few people re-think about Obama and stop becoming full-blown Obamabots.

JSR

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I really dislike it when someone takes your post and slices and dices it. there was a message, or should I say meaning in the post. to slice it up like you do separates it into many different points to discuss.

I really don't know what to say here. I think you just missed my whole point.

I don't agree with any of his domestic agendas. but I can sure see through this hit job on obama.

I guess that makes me an ignorant unpatriotic apologist

top topics

join