It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists fret over arsenic levels in baby rice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Scientists fret over arsenic levels in baby rice

uk.news.yahoo.com

PARIS (AFP) - Levels of arsenic in rice formula for babies are worryingly high, according to an investigation published Wednesday into products widely sold in stores.
(Advertisement)

Scientists voiced their concern after testing 17 samples of three common brands of baby rice.

They said the results exposed a bad loophole in safety regulations in the European Union (EU) and the United States, too.

The arsenic they tested for was inorganic, meaning that it had no carbon content and thus most likely came from a geological source.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 30/4/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
With the wold facing a food shortage, this has me concerned that the rumors about conspiracies sou rounding a deliberate attempt to reduce the world population through starvation may just be true, this is the last thing anybody needed at a time when people are becoming so worried that they are beginning to stockpile food just in case it becomes hard to find in stores.

For weeks now we have been told that rice and other dried foods are in shortfall with certain rice producing countries stopping the export to save these foods for their own people, this will shock mothers everywhere to stop buying this food even though there is probably nothing to worry about.

Do you think this could be deliberate attempt to slow down the purchase of rice? or maybe to plant the need to dump some foods already stockpiled?

It seems to me this has come at a very convienient time for someone wanting to panic or discourage the bulk buying of this food, it always seems to be the food for our children they find a problem with, and they are claiming a Geological reason, why was this never picked up before?

Even with the small amounts detected, and the probable fourthcoming release saying there is nothing to worry about, it will still have the effect on parents buying food for their kids.

Too many problems with food these days with dye's which can make you go blind and other chemicals reported in food.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Who in their right mind developed these regulations regarding contents of food? its almost like somebody is trying to poison us all, we have heard nothing but bad news concerning food this past year, and now even medicine is contaminated, gone are the days where we could grow our own foods in enough quantities to feed our families without depending on Grocery stores and the like, we have trusted the manufacturers with our food and this is what we get.

Im so saddened that the Human race can do this to itself in the name of profits, and im also convinced that these things only come to light when the whistle is about to be blown, and that is only to cover someones A** to prevent them being prosecuted.

For once can somebody be held accountable so it sends a message to these people, it is not acceptable to sell contaminated food to babies, even if the Geological reason is right someone must have known somewhere.

Just to add i know it is BABY rice and not rice for babies, however this is the rice they use in baby food to allow space to add other ingredients, it is also used in packaged adult foods to save space and weight.

[edit on 30/4/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I have a possible explanation. In Thailand, the world's foremost rice exporter a scandel broke a few years back.

In Northwest of the country, in the mountains bordering Burma, zinck is mined at a large scale. The area is the watershed for the Tak region, one of the main rice producing regions in the country.

I think it must have been about 5 years ago test showed that rice from there was heavely contaminated with metals like cadmium and arsen, a biproduct from the mining further North. In fact so contaminated that it was unfit for consumption. Farmers were paid not to grow foods in the tainted areas and stocks destroyed. However the compensation was only a fraction of what they could earn from rice growing. So illegal growing continued.

Furthermore in the following years tests showed that the tainted rice supposed to have been destroyed found its way into batches on the market.

I suspect it could be that rice still around that now shows up.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I fail to see how ground up apple seeds can even get intot he rice without it being on purpose.

top topics

join