It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astroboffins moot massive Moon-mirror heliograph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Astroboffins moot massive Moon-mirror heliograph

www.theregister.co.uk

A pair of US astrobiologists have come up with a cunningly simply way of attracting the attention of alien lifeforms - just cover half the Moon's surface with mirrors to throw back some extra sunlight in ET's direction.

According to New Scientist, Shawn Domagal-Goldman and Jacob Haqq-Misra of Pennsylvania State University in State College reckon the Moon-mirror could act as a kind of heliograph to beam a "code of prime number flashes" - just so distant beings fully get the message.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Ummmm... lol?

At least they're creative.

I wonder, like the anti-Beatles scientists, if we consider that alien contact has not already been made, would we want to suddenly advertise to more intelligent beings that we are here and ripe for the picking?

I guess same goes for even if we already have had contact, we are still alive so we could suggest they are friendly. Do we want to advertise ourselves to 'not-so-friendly' beings?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Creative indeed, sounds like the scientist in the animated tv show Futurama he had idea's like this one, i doubt any space agency or government agency is going to spend trillions lugging mirrors to the moon when they already know we are here, also wouldn't this warm the earth up even more? and turn the nights when the moon is visible into day? WEIRD is all i can say

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
So we can just cover half the moon in man-made crap like we do the Earth.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ixnay
So we can just cover half the moon in man-made crap like we do the Earth.

That's kind of like saying we can just cover over a large rock with no life on it with a bunch of man-made crap.

Do you like rocks? Better yet, do you like pretty, painted, decorated rocks?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If the moon is to be turned into an eye sore, I hope the far side is selected.

Trashing the moon's surface might get the aliens here pronto although just a bit upset. It might be one of their favorites, if only a gimcrack.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Why don't we just cover the entire surface of the moon in mirrors? Every Friday night we shine coloured lasers up at our new disco ball!!

P-A-R-T-Y!

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Why don't we just cover the entire surface of the moon in mirrors? Every Friday night we shine coloured lasers up at our new disco ball!!

P-A-R-T-Y!

You just know that would somehow be an affront to Allah...

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
You just know that would somehow be an affront to Allah...

I have been trying to ponder what exactly you are referencing to make this statement.

[edit on 1/5/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Maybe we should be looking for moons covered with mirrors to find intelligent life.

If they want to go to the trouble and expense of covering the moon with mirrors how about we focus them back on earth and harness the energy for better use?

new topics

top topics

join