It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vets say they feel misled about GI benefits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Vets say they feel misled about GI benefits

www.cnn.com

Cheated. Baited and switched. That's how veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan say they feel about military recruiters who sold them on how the GI Bill would benefit them. Soldiers, Marines and airmen, speaking at a Capitol Hill rally Tuesday, said they are not given enough funds from the bill to cover college expenses as they were promised.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
When does the maltreatment end?

Young men and women go over seas to fight for their country, enticed with the hopes and aspirations of having their education paid for upon returning, only to find out that it is not the case. I can remember attending my high school graduation (I'm Canadian) and having three or four of my fellow graduates being offered $100,000 bursaries for enlisting in the armed forces.

Young men and women are fighting for their country, and yet their country refuses to fight for them.

All of this makes me makes me think of a recent commercial that I've seen recently, where it asks if firefighters ran the country. They simplify the issues of providing what is necessary and what is right for those that deserve it.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Its horrible to think we are treating the people who have been willing to sacrifice to ultimate gift for some money, are not only get jerked around by the prospect of death, but now after, they are getting cheated out of what was promised? I hope more vets step forward on this issue, to draw some more attention to it, we need to hold them accountable, they certainly hold us accountable for everything we do!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I think it's horrendous that this is even a subject we are reading to discuss.

The proposed bill will cost approximately $2 billion dollars. Educating men and women who are putting their life on the line to defend their country, seems like money well spent in my opinion.

If I have to read one paragraph of some charge account being exploited, or incumbents having their salaries bumped up a few percent.. then read how soldiers are being ripped off on the basic education they were promised.. makes you wonder.

I oppose violence, war, etc., but I support 100% the men and women who choose to fight for the cause. I do not support the war, but I support the sons and daughters, husbands and wives, fathers and mothers that are over their away from their loved ones.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The current GI Bill might be inadequate. It certainly was in my day, but it is not maltreatment and I don't think anyone was mislead, because anyone can go on line and get the straight skinny.

At any rate, a new bill has been introduced and is sponsored by 58 senators and the House version has 241 sponsors. That's a lot of support.

Warner is one of 58 senators co-sponsoring Sen. Jim Webb's Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act.

Webb's proposal is designed to dramatically expand educational benefits for military veterans. A version of the bill in the House has 241 co-sponsors. Covering active-duty National Guard troops and reservists, as well as other service members, it aims to cover the cost of the most expensive public in-state universities and a monthly housing stipend. Those who served on active duty for three or more months after September 11, 2001, would be eligible.

www.cnn.com...

The Democrats control the Congress and it is doubtful that Bush would veto the bill unless it has a bunch of attachments that render the bill such that he would veto it. Even if that does happen, the Congress can override the veto.

My heart is with the vets. They deserve these benefits, because they served when so many would not, but it's not yet time to start screaming maltreatment or dishonesty.

School is expensive and even with good benefits, it's still likely that vets will have to take out loans and work.

I did.

A better title might be, "Congress Acts to Remedy Outdated GI Bill."

[edit on 2008/4/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Here is a comprehensive guide to the GI Bill found on Military.com.

education.military.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The GI bill is a waste of time. I used some of mine back in 95-96 and only got $400 a month, doesn't even cover rent let alone paying for college. I'm still paying off my student loans, and I can't even work because of disabilities from being used as a guinea pig for untested vaccines.

Wasn't worth 6 years and a life of chronic pain and loss of mobility that's for sure...

None of the so called 'benefits' of serving are really worth serving for imo.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Let's not leave out the lack of medical/psychological benefits and treatment, as well...

Half of Vets Suffering Brain and Mind Injuries Go Untreated, But Pentagon Pretends Nothing's Going on

In another email, he acknowledged that an average of 18 war veterans manage to kill themselves each day -- five of whom were under VA care at the time.

The study also estimates that about 320,000 service members may have experienced a traumatic brain injury during deployment, but that just 43 percent reported ever being evaluated by a physician for that injury, despite DoD's policy that every soldier returning from Iraq be screened.

Walter Morales is the Army's suicide prevention manager. The suicide statistics in the Army are the most disturbing. At the end of 2007, the rate for completed suicides was 18.4 per 100,000, the highest since the Army started counting in 1980. The civilian suicide rate, which by the way does not reflect a population that is both young and screened for health, was 11 per 100,000, according to the latest figures from the CDC. And new Army figures show that 2,100 active-duty soldiers, Army alone, tried to commit suicide in 2007. That's about six a day. Before the Iraq war began, that figure was less than one suicide attempt a day.

Yah... I'm rushing right down to sign up now

[edit on 4/30/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I totally agree that some of the benefits should be better, however I don't believe that they are horrible.

I am a veteran of active duty myself still doing active reserves, awarded the global war on terrorism expeditionary medal (I know you guys are probably
at me but hear me out) Now, if you are awarded this medal and most that go overseas are, you get 2 years of healthcare from the VA, for anything... Now, if you were injured (this is the recent policy, I do not know about the past and I apologize) you get supposedly 100 percent coverage for that particular condition for the rest of your life, but at a veterans hospital or clinic.. and I know that they are scarce. It used to be the policy that if 10 years have gone by and you didn't sign up with the VA then your benefits go ka-put... but seeing that new diseases/illness/sicknesses are popping up from the vietnam war they have relaxed that rule and now it's if you have served in any war time period you can sign up for the va, just make sure you have a page 4 copy of your dd214.

So, maybe not just the care itself should be better but the avenues to be able to recieve this health care should be widened.

I also know that the va home loan is nice, it's a guaruntee, veterans are given the chance to be home owners without being snubbed a zillion times.

Also, the life insurance policy is now at 400 grand.

The GI bill is somewhere in the a thousand a month range now, and they said they would cover the cost of school, not the cost of living, furthermore in boot camp they sat us all down and had us read the contract understanding how and what amount we were recieving, also you have to pay 100 a month (i know b/s isn't) for a year to get the gi bill...

(sorry I am trying to think of 'benefits' as we go)

I would like to add that while on active duty the healthcare is not up to par, for any ailment we are given motrin and told to hydrate. I had bronchitus and it got really bad, so after 3 weeks of the motrin and water method not working I finally was allowed to see the doctor on board and be given antibiotics.

Also, if people retire military the benefits far outweigh if you don't. I know, what about those that cant serve til retirement because of injury, well that is why the VA provides them lifetime care for any injuries sustained whilst on active duty. Like me, when I got out, I had no disability, but I got the medal so I can go tomorrow if I have a cold, say that going overseas probably caused my sinus condition and I will get the medicines, etc. This is easy now since I am in san diego, but I really feel for the majority who come from small towns in the middle of nowhere and the nearest VA hospital is 5 hours away. Something needs to be done about the facilities, the benefits are there, just some don't have a place to receive them at.. hope any of that made some sense, and I realize that I sound like a recruiter, I can assure you that I am not lol .

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yes, I have to agree, while I believe there are problems with the veterans assistance.. I believe there is an even bigger problem with how active duty is treated, medically. There were several people in my command who jumped off hotel buildings because they felt there was no other way out, also the day of deployment we had someone jump of the coronado bridge... the suicide rates on active duty are horrible. I know of 6 in my first year in the military. While 6 may not seem like a huge number, for one command it is and 6 lives is a lot to be lost. Ok, enough of my tangent.. I guess I could go on about this for several days but I have to sleep someday lol.

I have enjoyed this thread so far! can't wait to see where it goes!

props to the OP

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
lol. nevermind.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by logician magician]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
it isn't weather or not the gi bill is insufficient or not, it's about weather or not the recruiters are misleading the kids about them.
my son's about to get out of the navy, and he seems to have the impression that there will be money there for him to go into college.
so, I don't know, maybe they are being mislead?

but just the few examples of the living conditions for these servicemen and vets are appalling, add to that some of the other crap that comes to light way too often, well...seems to me that our fine government has gotten so far out of our hands, they seem to think it is fine and dandy to treat the citizens like crap...they are just appalled when they get caught.
it isn't just the servicemen and women getting screwed, we all are...
we way would you like to turn?? right or left?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Are we really surprised after what happened to vietnam vets is this a big surprise.

they get what they deserve for signing up for this war.

maybe next time they shoulda done some reasearch on us warfare.

and vets.

gulf war syndromw agent orange using lsd on troops etc etc etc bio testing killing soldiers in the name of science.

but dont worry your protecting my freedom right.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOmaskedman

our country needs a force for national defense, does the fact that it's government plays it's own agendas change that need? is it really too much to ask for a government that puts our national interest above their personal agendas? no, it's not their fault for signing up....it's our fault for playing along with the politician's games. god, is any of the three main candidates not giving the impression that they are there to play out their own agenda, regardless of what effect it will have on our country? are any of them being straight with us even. if none of them are what you would expect from a president, then don't vote for them...heck, vote for bozo, he's a clown too!! and probably would be less damaging to this country.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The terminology of the current bill is not what is in question, it is what dawnstar has stated, it is the recruiters who are misleading students by informing them of the "incentives" of enlisting.

As for the title, it is copied from the article that I list as a source. Which is the protocol for our forum.

Anything short of 100% coverage of educational costs for soldiers is inadequate.

I would like to see some public universities come on board and agree to reduce some costs of tuition, books, living arrangements, etc., to soldiers. I don't think some of the stress that this bill will inflict needs to be alleviated, but it wouldn't hurt to have that additional support.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I got to agree here with you. The GI Bill I agree is insufficient but its also hard to keep up with the balloning cost of college education around the country. The way I see it right now the GI Bill will cover 75% of the tuition cost that I want to pursue at this time and that's not including books and the sorts. Universities and the government should come together and design a way that would provide a veteran 100% tuition cost with a combination of GI Bill, tuition discounts and the sort. There are some Universities that already give help to veterans as I have found on my research, but is not enough.

The best way that I see it could be done is to cap tuition cost for veterans to whatever the amount of the GI Bill, so then we would now that we only going to pay for the books and other education related costs.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Another point that I want to add is that coming in to the military I did my research and I ask my recruiter extensively about the GI Bill because it was one of the benefits that I was interested before joining. I know a lot of my comrades that it was the main or only reason to join in, so you would imagine that they bear some responsibility in figuring out what the benefit is all about. Like other member stated the information on the GI Bill is just a click away on the internet.

I know that this benefit the way it is now would not cover me for all my tuition costs so I started saving money so when I get out I have at least a decent amount of money on the side that would cover me for those items that would not cover the GI Bill.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hey, here's an idea: How about we get with the rest of the civilized world and make college free? Then kids out of high school won't be listening to shifty used car salesmen about how wonderful their benefits could be, because more of them will go straight to college. More educated people=more people with good jobs=better economy. Oh, but we can't do that, because that would be a "liberal social program".

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Had to laugh at remembering what my recruiter promised in the 70's. He had me rich and college educated before I got out some 7 years later. Real world, my wife and I struggled the whole time to get by financially and my job kept me from attending any civilian type school for an education. But I bought the bill of goods from my recruiter, still dont regret it. Saw a lot of the world and made some interesting friends.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
As for the title, it is copied from the article that I list as a source. Which is the protocol for our forum.

I know that titles are to be taken from the original article, but regardless of that fact, I do believe that my title is more accurate and descriptive of the facts of the article.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join