It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being big brother for a cause?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hello all, had a discussion with a coworker that kinda interested me so thought I'd get ya'lls take.

I run various forms of security for a University, and as such am in charge of RFID tracking and the like. So...I'm known around here by some as "Big little brother". A fun and innocent little nickname.

Anyway, I was recently approached by a couple of our local law enforcement officers. I work with them all the time so we have a good relationship.
I was asked to "bend" the law in not so many words, in order to provide them with some finalized details on an investigation they were in the process of compiling. They were quite sure that the person of interest is one of our students, a certain one. and they wanted me to help get him busted.

Now, here's where I am kinda on the fence.

The crimes committed were relatively serious..flashing, theft, and vandalism.
I do feel it is my duty to prevent crime and property damage, and in no way could be held accountable if I helped them out. But, is it right?

Is it any more right of me to do this than it would be for a police officer fabricating or illegally obtaining evidence?
If the suspect was proven innocent through my assistance is that justifiable in doing it?

I guess I'm just not sure how far the "fairness" of criminal acts should be allowed to go. If I do nothing and this freako rapes someone, should I blame myself?

well, let me have it.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
If you have nothing more than the officers' allegations to go on, I'd say provide no further assistance beyond what is required by your procedures.

To do otherwise would be, essentially a presumption of the individual's guilt based on hearsay evidence. It might also expose your institution (and you) to liability; should it be later determined, through evidentiary disclosure, that you provided prejudicial information beyond the scope of your duties, lending to a false arrest.

Remember, Police States exist because those that live in them co-operate at some level to maintain them.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Thank you for your response.

You are addressing exactly my concerns as far as legality and being a "stooge" for the state so to speak.

However, this I think is going to have more to do with justifying it morally for me.

Assuming that the knowledge of guilt was known beyond a reasonable doubt, would it be worth punishing the guilty? Even if there is the slightest chance of innocence would it be worth proving one way or the other?

The funny thing is this mirrors exactly what our powers that be are doing.
I can secretly gain the info needed, but is that any different from wiretapping?
Is an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure in this situation?

I Just don't know i tell ya, here i sit on a conspiracy site bitchin bout the Gov't s intrusion like everyone else but am now in the middle of a smaller part of it.

join