It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls It Quits with Rev. Wright

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Obama Calls It Quits with Rev. Wright

blogs.trb.com

by Mike Dorning, updated and revised, 4:11 pm ET

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.--Engulfed in fresh controversy over new inflammatory remarks by his retiring pastor, Barack Obama made a public break Tuesday with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, denouncing the minister's latest comments as "outrageous, "appalling" and a contradiction of the senator's own life's work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Obama has little choice now. To stick by Rev. Wright would be political suicide. Obama's loyalty to a former colleague and friend is commendable, but many are already saying his denunciation is too little too late. I will still vote for Obama, but this does cast some doubt on his judgment. The transcript of his speech which follows this article is interesting too.

blogs.trb.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Sestias]

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Not God save America! God d**n America!

Rev. Wright...current location...under bus

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Here in N.C., where the primaries are next Tuesday, people are really talking about this. My impression is that most people who don't like Obama already had their minds made up abpout him and his church long ago. But there are some supporters like me who just thought Wright was somewhat controversial; we can't believe how far out the man has gotten. We shall see the full impact next Tuesday.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Y'know, does anyone here find it mildly amusing that Obama is only ditching Reverend Wright after his..."interesting" views on race, Jews, America etc came into the "open"?

For twenty years, he sat and listened to the "Good Reverend's" bizarre, and some would say racist, take on society and religion. However, he only reprimands and leaves him after Wright's views find their way into the public conciousness.

Too little, too late, my friend.

Too little, too late.

As an aside, maybe he can join the white grandmother that helped raise Obama under that bus once the aforementioned become a liability?

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chaoticar
Y'know, does anyone here find it mildly amusing that Obama is only ditching Reverend Wright after his..."interesting" views on race, Jews, America etc came into the "open"?

I'm not sure that is really the case, Chaoticar.

My impression is that the Reverend is getting a bit more bizzare than he once was. I've heard that from some commentators on the news (What they heck to they know, really?) But it may be possible. The Rev. Wright has retired now -- he may be acting more boldly than he once did.

Another thing: Obama is a strong advocate of Israel. I absolutely think Obama is NOT anti-semitic, regardless of what Wright might have preached and what Obama might have sat through silently.

But I won't disagree with one thing -- a bit late for Obama! He should have been a bit more on his toes about this.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It strikes me as some what laughable that Obama now decides to suddenly distance himself from Rev Wright here before the Indiana and NC primaries, while at the same time Wright decides to come on national tv out of nowhere and act more beligerant, vocal and controversial that he has ever been to date.

Makes one wonder how this whole thing went down, to me it looks a tad bit orchestrated.

Obama - "Hey Rev., would you mind going on t.v. and acting even crazier than usual so that I can come out and denounce you in a public way and distance myself from you in a believable way in order to bring back these white voters who are on the fence? But you know, we will still be cool in real life..see you at dinner next Sunday *wink wink*"

Wright: "Sure thing Barack, anything for an old friend who is in need. After all, you and I have been tight for over 20 years. Sounds like a plan!!"

Face it, you don't sit in a church or anywhere else for that matter for 20+ years and then be able to honestly say with a straight face that you did not know what the man was saying. Are you kidding me? You mean you had this man marry you and your wife, you had this man christen your children and you have no clue as to what his belief system may be?

Absolutely ridiculous, and an insult to any American voter's intelligence. If you believe this whopper, then Iv'e got some prime Arizona beach front property for sale that we need to discuss.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Obama is only acting and saying what others want to hear to savage himself.

Truly when is people going to wake up and realize that the politicians only say things they know you want to hear. It's called lying!!!!

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Shar]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
My impression is that the Reverend is getting a bit more bizzare than he once was. I've heard that from some commentators on the news (What they heck to they know, really?) But it may be possible. The Rev. Wright has retired now -- he may be acting more boldly than he once did.

According to the "Good Reverend":

“In the late 1960s, when Dr. James Cone’s powerful books burst onto the scene, the term ‘black liberation theology’ began to be used. I do not in any way disagree with Dr. Cone, nor do I in any way diminish the inimitable and incomparable contributions that he has made and that he continues to make to the field of theology. Jim, incidentally, is a personal friend of mine.

"Black Liberation Theology" seems innoccuous enough - however, when you get down to the "meat" of Dr Cone's views:

“To be Christian is to be one of those whom God has chosen. God has chosen black people!”
- Black Theology and Black Power, pp. 139-140.

(Can you imagine the uproar if Hillary's, McCain's or Paul's pastors were "supportive" of a supposed theologian claiming that "only whites can be Christians")

I'm not saying that Wright believes such nonsense, however the fact that he was, and still is, supportive of Cone and his "views" and "contributions" says more than words ever could.

But Wright, and his views, aren't the result of "snapping" at say - a black friend of his having his son gunned down accidentally by a white cop, or Wright being a sleeper agent for McCain designed to discredit the Obama presidential campaign - many have stated that Wright's rants were the "bread and butter" of his sermons for the past few decades.

Another thing: Obama is a strong advocate of Israel. I absolutely think Obama is NOT anti-semitic, regardless of what Wright might have preached and what Obama might have sat through silently.

Where did I ever doubt Obama's "loyalty" to Israel?
Also, isn't it interesting that Obama sat there silently?

But I won't disagree with one thing -- a bit late for Obama! He should have been a bit more on his toes about this.

As Shar put it so eloquently, Obama is only looking out for his interests as do all politicans - if he believed that

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
This was stage between the two pals .. just a ploy to get people thinking they are not alike.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

According to the pastor, Mr. Obama then told him, “You can get kind of rough in the sermons, so what we’ve decided is that it’s best for you not to be out there in public.”

www.nytimes.com...

This was written some time ago. It certainly doesn't sound like Obama is unaware of what is preached in his church as of March 2007. Pure politician.

new topics

top topics

join