It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Any Way to Stop Wal-Mart & Co. from Sweatshop Profiteering?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Is There Any Way to Stop Wal-Mart & Co. from Sweatshop Profiteering?

alternet.org

"We work so hard for so little pay", said one middle-aged
woman with undisguised anger. We could only guess how hard-
the place kept no time cards.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Shameful, this type of working conditions for any human being.
But to go ahead and protest in front of your local Wal-Mart,
will only put YOU in bad conditions; JAIL!

I wonder why we Americans continue to allow authorities to
protect big business, with force, but not our Constitutional
rights, with force? Totalitarian Fascism?

alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yes - quit giving them your money. Smart-ass comment, but true.

America is hitting the retail crack-pipe when they shop at Wal-Mart. There are several good threads that explain how Wal-mart has almost single-handedly changed the course of this country on it's journey from "Made in America" in the 1980's to "Made in China" today.

One day the sweat shops will be located here and China will have all the money.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Serious question that will probably get me labeled as a jerk. Why, when it already costs a small fortune to go grocery shopping, should any American do something that will result in a further increase in prices? I don't know about you, but I like low prices.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

This topic has been covered many, many times on ATS. I suggest you use the search function and read up on the subject. Essentially you will either pay now or pay later. After 25 years of cheap consumerism, America's bill has come due.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I don't know about you, but I like low prices.

Unfortunately, that is the crux of the problem...for consumers to be able to pay low prices at the till means someone had to be paid a low wage to produce those goods. To maintain a living wage for those working to produce the goods whilst enabling low prices at the till, there has to be a reduction in costs somewhere else...

if you reduce the shareholder stake in company profits you lose investors who will seek a better rate of return for their capital investment elsewhere

if you reduce advertising expenditure you lose mass-market exposure and reduce the economy-of-scale factor

if the manufacturing company adopts automated production instead of human production you increase capital costs in the initial investment of machinery and the costs of re-tooling for different manufacturing runs, thereby reducing shareholder investment returns...

...the only way forward to socially-responsible consumer-markets is to increase pay and improve conditions for those who produce, increase prices at the till, and accept the fact that you will be paying a fair price for a product produced by someone recieving a fair wage and basing consumerism on 'need' rather than 'want'

[edit on 29-4-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Why?

How about long term? Do you think you're making a wise investment in the future when you allow wal-mart to profit from your sweat equity? How about for the future generations if there is any left after this one, what will we hand down to them? A big blue scar on the face of america controlled by China?

Maybe that's why.

Maybe because by demanding low cost products you're demanding that someone at the manufacturing end of the chain be unfairly and unjustly treated. You can be your ass it's not going to be the factory owner. What's more important to you, low prices or human equality?

And yes, ALL of us can stop it today if ALL of us decided, we could simply not spend money there. I don't, and if you don't cease supporting economic slavery you may as well just admit that you proudly support the slave labor that is carried out especially for your low-cost convenience and your whims and desires to own stupid useless crap. If you fail to admit it you're lying to yourself, you silly hypocrite.

Every week i seem to be posting a rant like this, because it seems every week the bar is raised for your hypocracy. This is just getting worse and worse, you hypocrites are leading us all down a path of destruction because you don't give a crap about the future, or who has to live in it.

Do you have children? Would you want them working in the factory that makes the products you buy there? Would you want to see your children grow up in the world you're building? STOP IT YOU DAMN HYPOCRITES! Stop screwing up a world that children are FORCED BY YOU to endure. Realize that by your economic decisions you're selling your children into a world where slavery is the norm. And it's you teaching them the skewed values of hypocracy and disregard for humanity. You're out front, leading the charge by example every time you support this crooked empire. We're already there, it's just becoming more of a finely tuned machine as a once truly prosperous nation becomes the capital of the third world. It's way past the time to do nothing, and nothing short now of the machine coming to a grinding halt as the masses deny their complicity in their own enslavement and the enslavement of their children.

Don't like being called a hypocrite? Stop being one. Stop being the one who demands slavemasters serve you, or you're absolutely no better than the floor boss who whips ass when little asian girls don't sew jeans fast enough. That's your doing, that's what you vehemently support. Way to go!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Actually being called a hypocrite doesn't bother me in the least. Thank you for your opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Walmart has a powerful lobbying and long-reaching marketing arm. Soon the counter propaganda will begin. This 'ethical' 'family-oriented' 'all American' enterprise is the true standard bearer for disingenuous advertising.

People say that Walmart brings us lower prices. I beg to differ, you see the price gets paid one way or the other. That dollar you saved buying the notebooks for school weren't a 'gift' from Walmart's kind pricing executives. It was 'stolen' from the Malaysian teenager who packaged it, and the Chinese lumberjack who cut the wood for the pulp. It goes on and on.

It's not about price - it's about profit, and in the halls of Walmart HQ, Profit is King!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies

Do you think you're making a wise investment in the future when you allow wal-mart to profit from your sweat equity? How about for the future generations if there is any left after this one, what will we hand down to them?

...And this is why I absolutely refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to make people understand this; all they are concerned about is low prices.

I know I am only one person, but I am trying to make a stand by rejecting anything purchased from Wal-Mart.

I went to the store with a friend. As I was about to purchase an item, my friend said he saw it cheaper at Wal-Mart. He said he knew I wouldn't shop there, so he actually offered to go there and buy it and let me pay him back! This is still supporting Wal-Mart and something I will not do!

Low prices are great. I am thrilled to find a bargain, but I REFUSE to knowingly support a company that cannot treat people, especially their employees and vendors, with respect.

Keeping in mind their practices, they do not need my money.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm a bit of a hypocrite, too, in this issue. Although I've greatly reduced
my shopping at Wal-Mart, I still go in there for bare minimums... BUT,
I've started seeking out smaller 'mom & pop' type stores for basic
neccessities.

The truly annoying element for me is, the hypocrisy we ALL live under,
with the U.S. gov.
Powerhouses like Wal-Mart are protected by force. Any protesters are
warned to leave the premises, even though they speak the truth. Get
angry or emotional, and you're arrested. Resist, and force will be used.
Fight, and DIE. Why is that?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
For the sake of full disclosure I too am a hypocrite in this matter. While it is not very often, I too give them my money from time to time. Dang, I hate being that honest, especially when I know how shameless they have been in their 'business' practices.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
First of all, I think we're making a pretty huge leap here from arresting a public nuissance to suddenly killing dissidents. It reminds me of all the fear surrounding the Patriot Act... we've had the Patriot Act for what, 7 years now? When it was passed everyone cried that we'd have mass arrests for voicing opinion, people killed by the government for talk out, etc, etc... in those 7 years how many Americans have been imprisoned for merely speaking out? How many have been executed for it? Hell, if it was even a fraction as ominous as you'd have us to believe do you really think there'd be any of those folks left here at ATS? They'd all be in a gulag somewhere.

Once again I find myself tipping my hat to the PTB. For starters, nobody has the right to harrass people as they go about their daily business. You have the right in this country to assemble peacefully. Blocking doorways, shouting at customers, brandishing signs in a violent manner, and generally making a jackass of yourself is not peacefull. If protestors want to change the definition of what they consider "peacefull" then that's fine, let's change it for everyone and make it perfectly legal and peacefull for me to plant a workboot squarely in their backside to move them out of my way. Sp when someone is interferring with the daily operation of a business, ON PRIVATE PROPERTY no less, they have no right except for the Miranda right as they're handcuffed and taken to jail. End of story.

EDIT: Since everyone else is doing it too... For the sake of public disclosure, I'm not a Walmart shopper. The closest Wally World to me is an hours drive away. I shop at Target. If there was a Walmart closeby and they had the best price on something, I'd definitely shop there. It's free market capitalism at it's finest. And yeah, pretty much the only thing I care about is that that saved dollar is in my wallet... I could care less who's wallet other than my own it gets removed from.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Originally posted by burdman30ott6

in those 7 years how many Americans have been imprisoned for merely speaking out?

Quite a few that I know of, including myself! I'm trying not to do it as much
anymore, it was a harsh lesson! I guess my personal experience fuels my
distaste for our gov... But fair enough, you're right, not many.

For the sake of public disclosure, I'm not a Walmart shopper. The closest Wally World to me is an hours drive away. I shop at Target.

Target? I think you've switched one slaver for another, my friend!

If there was a Walmart closeby, I'd definitely shop there.

Love your honesty, STAR! My problem is how close Wally-World is, 5mi!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Its really simple as noted above actually: Don't shop there. Avoid the made in China lable if possible (For toys its actually a warning lable). I would rather spend a few more $$$ at a local market than at the SPrawlmart anyday

new topics

top topics

join