It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have noticed stores are not replenishing cigarrette stocks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
We KNOW from studies that smokers almost never get alzheimers or parkinsons. We know that children who grow up around smokers have WAY less incidences of allergies and/or respiratory issues. These are facts from scientific papers. You can look up "beneficial effects from smoking" or some similar term. You are going to be surprised at the research on this, which is always kept hush-hush.

If smoking is so good for you and if this is a fact that can be found in "scientific papers," would you be so kind as to provide some links to such data, from "scientific papers," preferably?

Ah the disbelievers and debunkers. Too lazy to even look it up for themselves.
Start here: www.forces.org...

Here's another one (with benefits I didn't know about): bmb.oxfordjournals.org...

That should get you started.

Also, look up the beneficial effects of drinking alcohol. Not just "red wine" but ANY alcohol: beer, vodka, whiskey, rum, wine.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alexbassguy
All you guys who smoke Camels and Basics and Marlboros and the likes... you're the ones getting the nasty crapola. If all of us would just smoke American Spirits like I do, we'd be some much better off.
- $1.15 out of every pack goes to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Fund
- All corporate, packing and harvesting facilites are 100% wind powered
- Butts are biodegradeable
- The Santa Fe Tobacco Company buys carbon offsets for all cigarettes sold every year
- No additives whatsoever
- 9 distinct blends to choose from
Wow, i could be their freakin sales pitch guy. But seriously, they're great cigs. ALTHOUGH, now that you mention it, here in N. Colorado, no matter where I get them recently they seem to be 2 - 3 months old and REALLY stale and gross. It's getting worse, too. I mean, because they're all-natural and such, each one tastes a little different, but the ones I've been getting recently have been... kinda gross. It's actually caused me to go from a 1/2 pack a day to a 1/3 or so. They used to be wonderful, but it's slowly going down... an they've been getting pricier, and harder to find. The place down the road just four months ago carried Blues (my regular smoke), Yellows, Blacks, and Reds. Now they occasionally get in soft packs of Blues. And I think all smokers here agree - screw soft packs.

Just rememeber, the "Santa Fe Tobacco Company" is owned by R.J. Reynolds.

But it is true, they are supposedly additive free, and all natural tobacco.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I haven't had much trouble at gas stations or little convenience stores- but there's nothing practically at the bigger stores.

I have noticed the large stores selections becoming slim pickings. The Wal-Mart I live next to has had an empty look tobacco cashier than I've ever seen before. It's been that way for about three months. I don't think it's anything to worry about, I believe it is more about sales vs. profits.

They can make massive profits on smokes at 4.50 a pack (with tax), but when there are three gas stations right across the street selling the EXACT SAME cigarettes for 3.40 (tax included) per pack; It makes me think the stores are intentionally running themselves out. After all with the cost increase the markups are noticeable now. without the markup, no profit. without the profit no point in stocking smokes.

Never fear! Philip Morris USA does NOT want to lose any money... Your Friendly neighborhood petrol station should continue to keep a stock as $.50 a sale profits are still acceptable to little stores... Just not Wally worlds...

Just a Cigarette Update from Tennessee.

Coven

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I smoke too, but i wouldnt cry after the cigarrettes if there wouldnt be any for sale.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
no shortage here, but many stores seem to be selling stale cigarettes, they taste sort of funny and I've been dumping them after a one or two drags and buying from different stores. Maybe I'm losing the taste for them, or they've killed all my tastebuds (which while possible, I doubt because i can still taste food pretty damn good can pick out individual spices
)

Its the filler they add to the tobacco. Open up one of those smokes. You will also find mold in there. I stoppped and went to rollies because of the taste of those. Now I quite two months ago all together using a nicatrol inhaler. Gum causes too much heartburn.

Ama

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Head for the hills!

As the spouse of a 34 year smoker who has willingly laid them aside on at least nine occasions, I predict WWIII if there are soon none to be had. There will be riots at local stores, drive by shootings of non smokers, an increase in domestic violence, and road rage will become the norm. I've been there on a smaller scale, and it ain't pretty.

Mabey for the first cuple weeks, until everyone has the nicotine out of thier system , then it will go back to status quo.

Ama

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I was at a Citgo gas station yesterday and there was a white van with no markings backed up to the door .
The man was unloading box after box of cigarettes.
I think he must of had 20 large cardboard boxes sitting on the sidewaklk and still unloading them when I drove away.
They were all the cheaper brands like 305's.
Actually I don't know where they would put all of these cigarettes in that store.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
ive noticed a few brands disappearing from the shelves around in this area. My mother smokes viceroy and occasionally if I do a run for her, they're darn near impossible to find anymore. When I asked about it, they said barely anyone buys them so we're not really going to stock them anymore. I can understand that completely. As for others reports that they're just not around at all.. haven't seen anything like that.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightunseen

Let me see. This isnt about crying. This isnt about letting go of a habit that has been proven over and over again to harm you.

THIS is about the "choice" to smoke or not to smoke.

Put yourself in others place, if you enjoy Coca Cola and overnight its taken off the market, even the cheap store brands, and lets take it further, all soda drinks that have a trace of caffeine, and you enjoy a tall glass, wouldnt that piss you off?
The government deciding what YOU can have or not have?

I obey the rules- i go clear across the street to have a cigarrette if i darn well please, where there are no little kids, no human beings to get a whiff of the smoke. I am considerate. I dont like feeling like i have the plague, but i can live with it. If i want to kill myself, let it be. Somehow, cancer doesnt seem as bad as what our friendly elitists have in store for us.

All this does is find more people to qualify under "terrorists"/aka/criminal smokers.

I want to quit when i want- not when the government wants me to. I love the way they want to take care of us :shk: Hypocrites.

And getting back to the alcohol, why is this still in our lives? Because the burocratic fat cats like to booze it up.

I have never swerved and nearly killed anyone while under the influence of a Marlboro.
Its that simple.

I dont hear an outcry to take away the #1 killer!!! Why?

Anyway, sorry about the rant, i'm hijacking my own thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I own a cigarette store in SC. I have all that you want. Prices have seemed to go up regularly on most brands this year. In the past the increases seemed to be in the 25-50 cents at a time. This year it seems like they go up at least $1 when they raise them.

I've seen no systemic shortages of anything.

If the store you are buying dip (Cop, etc.) has out of date stuff, they are lazy. The dip folks are really good about taking back out of date stuff. The manufacturers don't want bad products on the shelf either.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Welcome, Roughdoc,

But again, you have a cigar shop. I was refering to big business stores, and pharmacies.

Which brings me to another point? Dont we have a shortage of medicine too?
That's for another thread, i guess.

Anyway, you would know if you may have to close down your store or not, so its good to get reassurance from you!!!
Thank you.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
By the way, tobacco does not naturally burn. To get cigarettes to burn by themselves requires additives.

Some manufacturers do this to speed up the burning so you have to smoke more.

Look at cigar and pipe smokers who have to constantly relight their smokes.

To make fire safe cigarettes they'd have to take additives away and make the cigarettes with pure tobacco.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Just an observation, i am a smoker, and i stop here and there for cigarrettes.
During the past two weeks, there are very slim pickins.

Have you tried telephoning the managers of these stores and asking if they are purposely reducing their stocks of cigarettes? I'm sure if you're polite about it, they will be forthcoming.

I tend to roll my own now. I'm not sure what they put in cigarettes these days, but the handrolling tobacco definitely tastes better. I believe I once read that sulphur is added to keep the cigarette burning. Sometimes you can see little grains of it igniting like a tiny match head. Don't know about you but I really don't like the idea of breathing in sulphur smoke.

Additionally, after a little digging, there is evidence of what you are suggesting, though not necessarily widespread as yet enpowerny.com...

AFTERNOTE: I did look to see what is currently put into cigarettes. I won't bore you with the link as it's off topic, but there are around 600 substances added to your average cigarette. Many of them sound pretty nasty.

[edit on 30/4/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have not noticed a lack of cigarettes. In fact, Marlboro put up signs in stores here that say that if they are out of any type of Marlboro (Red, Light, Ultra, Menthol, 27's, hard pack, soft pack, etc) that you get a coupon for a free pack of cigarettes.

Yes, I have about 4 of those coupons. I am saving them for needy times (or right before the expiration date
).

I have noticed an influx of value priced cigarettes. Marlboro's cost $5.90 here. The value cigarettes cost $2.00-3.00.

I tried the American Spirit as well. They were good, but I can only find them at the liquor store, and they over-charge. They only had the blue and yellow box. Does American Spirit make menthol lights? That is what I smoke.

I know esmokes.com sells cheap cigarettes. Has anyone bought them there?

I tried to quit once. I used the gum. I ended up smoking a cigarette while chewing gum. I did not need the nicotine. I just needed something in my hands, you know?

I do like to chew every once in awhile, though.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Roughdoc: Yeah, Safeway is pretty lazy in general, so that doesn't surprise me. I got tired of getting grief from them when they'd hand me a tin and I'd check the date and hand it back to them if it was past a month. Still remember the time I cut open a tin in Farmington, NM, saw it was basically dry as a bone and checked the date to find it was over a year old. Worthless at that point.

xxpigxx: What's the thing with menthols? I've never gotten that. I could be completely out of everything and wouldn't smoke a menthol if you paid me.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Plenty of smokes down here to go around, but this is tobacco country in N.C.

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out already, but the shortages up north may have more to do with the fuel prices and the difficulty in finding truckers to haul and ship the product.

Otherwise, not really sure what it could be.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You know, here's one I don't think I mind. I want to quit anyway. Although if it is true, I have to wonder why the government wants to stop what has to be the number 3 taxable income (gas and booze being the other 2).

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Menthols are just a different flavor. I'm a Newport guy myself, trust me, if you had to smoke menthol for a couple days, you'd never go back.

I have not noticed any shortage around here. I will keep my eyes open though and report back if anything changes. Food for thought, with prices of things being what they are, maybe some places are just phasing out merchandise that doesn't move very well in the area. I know Wal-Mart does this with firearms and ammunition if it doesn't sell much at a certain store.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
No problems getting smokes here,but I buy a carton at a time,but I have noticed most stores are keeping their inventory's at a minimum,sign of the times I guess

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Um I work in a grocery store and several of my friends work in other stores. I dothe ordering for my store, and we haven't lowered the amount of replenishing a bit, neither have the stores my friends are in.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join