It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have noticed stores are not replenishing cigarrette stocks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
Not only will the rates of (supposedly) nicotine-related diseases NOT drop - there will likely be an INCREASE in the rates of all those conditions that are listed on the warning labels (but people weren't quite as aware of them until the labels appeared or became as conspicuous as they are lately).

That is a fascinating prediction, Vanitas, and I think you very well may be right about that. Time will definitely tell.

This pressure on cigarette smokers is probably going to follow the law of unintended consequences, and some of those consequences might not be very good for society.

If cigarettes were invented in 1970, I would worry less. But this is something that has been with society a very very long time, and when you mess with anything that is so embedded as this -- there are going to be side-effects that nobody saw coming. It is just too complex to figure.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It seems like...and I've heard this on MSNBC...some tobacco profits are funding terrorists groups that want to attack America...millions of dollars going straight to terrorists from imported tobacco products. So every time you puff a stick of death, its another dollar in a terrorists pocket.

plus you're bound to have health problems...especially from all the chemicals they continue to add and add...not to mention the highest amount of nicotine ever seen.

just do yourself a favor and quit, even if you aren't a frequent smoker.

[edit on 4/30/2008 by PimpyMcgibbins]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PimpyMcgibbins
It seems like...and I've heard this on MSNBC...some tobacco profits are funding terrorists groups that want to attack America...millions of dollars going straight to terrorists from imported tobacco products. So every time you puff a stick of death, its another dollar in a terrorists pocket.

You know Mcgibbins, I liked the second part of your post. But the first part is so so so far out, I have to question the whole deal.

Cigarettes funding terrorists? Doesn't make any sense. It sounds like way out disinformation.

Maybe you heard something about smugglers -- that might be possible.

Edit: Speaking of it, here is the ATS link I just found. Cigarette smugglers are funneling money to terrorists.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go figure. I guess maybe I saw this and it didn't register. Or maybe this is a really weird syncronetic moment for me. Either way, I guess you get a star for accuracy Mcgibbins.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Buck Division]

PSP

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is what i think is happening.
In my hometown in the Netherlands there are plenty of ciggarets to buy everywhere, but lately every store is getting broke or something, i think there is a new tax coming on the cigarrets and that the prices have to be reprint on the cigaret cases.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
There surely isn't a shortage here in Ohio. Working in Wal-greens I noticed we were stocked full of quite a few brands Cigs, had a few of those long box ones as well. (Non-smoker but get a few who come in here and there) Though it seems like we haven't stocked a few brands, but they seemed to be more or less like off-brands to me anyway, we also now put locks on a few tobacco products (Not sure if that correlates to anything, but thought I would say something about it.)

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Leviatano]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
All you guys who smoke Camels and Basics and Marlboros and the likes... you're the ones getting the nasty crapola. If all of us would just smoke American Spirits like I do, we'd be some much better off.
- $1.15 out of every pack goes to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Fund
- All corporate, packing and harvesting facilites are 100% wind powered
- Butts are biodegradeable
- The Santa Fe Tobacco Company buys carbon offsets for all cigarettes sold every year
- No additives whatsoever
- 9 distinct blends to choose from
Wow, i could be their freakin sales pitch guy. But seriously, they're great cigs. ALTHOUGH, now that you mention it, here in N. Colorado, no matter where I get them recently they seem to be 2 - 3 months old and REALLY stale and gross. It's getting worse, too. I mean, because they're all-natural and such, each one tastes a little different, but the ones I've been getting recently have been... kinda gross. It's actually caused me to go from a 1/2 pack a day to a 1/3 or so. They used to be wonderful, but it's slowly going down... an they've been getting pricier, and harder to find. The place down the road just four months ago carried Blues (my regular smoke), Yellows, Blacks, and Reds. Now they occasionally get in soft packs of Blues. And I think all smokers here agree - screw soft packs.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I see more and more people are moving over to the new electronic cigarettes ... can be smoked anywhere ... eve in aeroplanes and cinemas ... check this item on ebay ... item number 330231084438

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
It's funny to read this thread. Hint at smokes not being restocked and look at the 'addicts' open their eyes.

God forbid tobacco ever becomes illegal - I wonder how many 'drug addict' criminals would suddenly be created in the eyes of the law.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

I love the way people are more inclined to stock up on cigerettes when a shortage looks up and coming.

Wouldnt the healthier, smarter more logical approach be to take it as a blessing in disguise and QUIT?

When your sitting around going cold turkey... it would be much easier knowing you CANT buy any because there arent any, compared to rationing the last 50 you have.

It only takes what.... a month? cold turkey, BAM!... why draw out the misery?

cigg's should of been outlawed decades ago, with heroin and coc aine.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
when i ued to smoke all natural nat shermans i had to acquire them fom speciality shops but now that i have been smoking newports without the butts i havent had an issue finding cigs.

but onto the issue of smoking; if you dont smoke you really dont know the risk involved. imean i smoke and how i smoke i suppose is not harmfull if thats anyway possible.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Addition of ammonia compounds, which speed the delivery of nicotine to smokers by raising the alkalinity of tobacco smoke. These compounds also distort the measurement of tar in cigarettes, giving lower readings than would actually be inhaled by the smoker;
Addition of chemicals, such as acetaldehyde and pyridine, that act to strengthen nicotine's impact on the brain and central nervous system.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Did you get that? Ammonia. You know what other drug has ammonia added to make it more addictive?

Crack coc aine.

This is neat, I am a cigarette smoker and overlooked that they 'acetylize' (a word i created; it is in dire need isn't it?) nicotine compounds to get them to hit the human brain better and faster. That is interesting.

It's funny you say that they add this to crack coc aine to make it more addictive, as they also "acetylize" morphine extract (from poppy) to create the more addictive, illegal, street illicit drugs like Heroin from it. They don't use just Ammonia, you need something particularly more potent, and harder to obtain. There are two which I won't mention by name, U2U if you must know.

But yes, it seems to be a running theme with drugs and poisons these days that taking the basic form and "acetylizing" it .. that is .. changing its' chemical structure into that which is more acidic on the pH scale makes it more potent to the human brain, but at what cost? This acidity seems to increase potency across the board.. I mean.. pick your poison and there is an acetylized version, sheesh.

Nice observation.

[edit on 4/30/2008 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by alexbassguy

I love the American Spirit. I used to smoke the Marlboro, but since I have gone to these, I don't get cravings at all like I used to and can go days without one, or days with several it doesn't matter, and I don't feel like they control me like the others did.

More importantly, I don't cough and hack anymore. My allergy/sinus problems have decreased significantly. The other day I left my smokes somewhere and a friend gave me a camel menthol...man, the next morning I woke up coughing and hacking...I will never ever smoke anything else besides American Spirit. It's the way smoking is supposed to be.

BTW, I exercise and am able to run 4 miles easily....it wasn't that way when I smoked the Marlboro...if you smoke, take this other poster's advice and try the American Spirit. I enjoys the yellow or ultra lights.

And if you smoke, make sure and exercise and eat well...there are a lot of "other variables" that correlate with smoking and disease.

If you don't smoke, ease up on the judgemental behavior some and take the beam out of your eyes...polution from your car exhaust is doing erreparable harm to our health too among a bunch of other things...and we smokers in return need to be polite and go outside for those who are conditioned now to dislike the smell...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Ok, I do not live in the US, and so I cannot tell what you guys MAY/MAY NOT be actually going trough... here in .NZ we have plenty of ciggies on the shelves, no issues there.. but MAYBE it is possible that there is something going on here under the hood.
Over the last year now, we have been hearing about devastating droughts, floods etc. etc destroying global wheat, rice and other valuable food crops... well, ya know, while it is very easy to find information out about current food stock levels, I could not find any data what so ever on tobacco stock levels... MAYBE it is possible that tobacco is also being hit by this exact same problem; on the other hand, with tobacco being a weed in the same family as deadly nightshade, it probably grows anywhere with unstoppable speed... On the other hand, maybe tobacco farmers have found growing soy or corn for bio-fuel was more profitable with the current oil price and so have switched crops.. Who would know
Maybe people living in the states that typically grow tobacco may have some more knowledge on this one.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I haven't noticed any shortage of tobacco here in germany.
Like most of you know the Nazis were also big supporters of anti-smoking campaigns. It is hard to imagine that the clique of people who do nothing else but harming others suddenly start caring about the populus' health. It's more like they want to tell you what to do and don't in a more and more mandatory way. Banning smoking in your own homes as thought about in California, if I remember it correct, is far off from what used to be "freedom".

I also recommend American Spirit and the likes. Its as healthy as smoking can get

Anyhow i quit smoking cigs but i still need some tobacco for my joints

[edit on 30-4-2008 by nirbid]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I love tobacco. I'm not going to preach to anyone that they should quit smoking cigs or cigars or pipes. I had to quit smoking cigs because my place of employment went smoke-free, but I still smoke an occasional cigar and I really enjoy a good group 3 or 4 bowl now and then.

Someone mentioned crummy dates and I just now remembered what memory that triggered yesterday. Dairy products here in America's "Former" Dairyland have terrible expiration dates. I have no idea what's up with that.

Thanks for this thread, dg. I'm on my way to the basement to dig through my tins. I'm smokin' a bowl tonight!
It's the group 4 calabash for sure!!

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I went into a store down here in FL about 3 months ago, it was a drugstore, CVS, or walgreens, forget which, but yea, they don't sell cigs there anymore.

It was pretty weird to see the huge diplay area behind the checkout completely empty.

I don't think I've been back there, and I don't recall ever seeing that in any other stores. I chalked it up to an isolated incident.

Not sure if the entire chain doesn't sell cigs anymore, or if this was a privately owned CVS, or walgreen(if there are any?). But I don't often go into CVS or Walgreens anymore,so I really don't know.

It is possible one of the entire chains(CVS or walgreens, i think it was CVS) just stopped selling cigarettes I guess.

It also could be a state, or even county specific law.

I notice down south well at least here in FL it seems, they have alot more of those(county specific laws), than the do up North where I'm from.

Don't worry though, I'm pretty sure they'll always be a place to buy cigarettes. It's the prices that are bothering me.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
No shortage here - but i am in Brasil and here you most packs cost around $US2 for a pack of twenty.

Ok I am an ex smoker, and it's a bit OT and I haven't really got the time, but if I can save one of you smokers I guess it's worth it.

Actaully I quite a few months back after smoking for 15 years - I had tried before with the gum / patches, etc but nothing worked. Then one day i was surfing around and found this website:

Freedom From Tobacco

And just started reading... what a lot of reading it was lol. I found out there that patches and gum are not do benificial to quitting, that the best way is cold turkey and intensive reading of teh material on that site.

Quitting is all about education, about learning of the experiences of others, to know that others are experiencing the same challenge. The most help came from joining this group (you have to be nicotine clean to do so, ie 72 hours without a cigarette):

Freedom From tobacco group

It took me three days to clear my body completely from nicotine and a further 2 weeks to gain a certain level of comfort. After this I only had teh triggers to deal with, ie cravings after a meal, etc - and these only lasted 10 - 20 seconds and each time you don't give in you recondition your brain not to associate smoking with this event.

I was suprised how easy it was - the real hard yards are in the first 2 weeks, but if you use that site and seek support you will get thru it, hell i did LOL - now i am quit 2 months and wowo do i feel good, i still get the odd little crave, but it is more funny than painful now as it lasts an instant... and i think gotcha!

We Died Young

Bryan Lee Curtis - age 34
Noni Glykos - age 33

What a horrible way to die...

[edit on 30-4-2008 by sobolwolf]

[edit on 30-4-2008 by sobolwolf]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
I have said for years that there is something in cigarettes that reduces/prevents/cures some plague or disease the NWO has cooked up. Hence, the government's desire to reduce the use of it.

We KNOW from studies that smokers almost never get alzheimers or parkinsons. We know that children who grow up around smokers have WAY less incidences of allergies and/or respiratory issues. These are facts from scientific papers. You can look up "beneficial effects from smoking" or some similar term. You are going to be surprised at the research on this, which is always kept hush-hush.

Think about it: Alcohol, through alcoholism, alcohol related crimes, etc., causes WAY more damage than cigarettes, yet the government is not moving to ban it, like they did back in the prohibition days.

Also, think about this: Can anyone name any OTHER source of an extremely high tax revenue that the government has moved to eliminate? I can't think of one, though I suppose their might be.

First, it seems that smoke in general has an effect on your energy gestalt, it is used in sjamanic and pagan cultures riturally.
But in that case you can smoke tealeaves or herbs or what ever to cleanse your energy. Just sit in the smoke. You don NOT have to smoke cigars or cigarettes to "enjoy " the effect.

I myself rather use running, Yoga or Chi Kung to work on my energy, it works excellent. All these little sicknesses like colds or flue don't get you when you do this.
Second, The last research shoes that smoking
DOES ENHANCE the chance on Alzheimer in a big way.

I have smoked for ten years twenty years ago. Give it up people, it just enslavement by billion dolllar industry, you don't miss it (after a few months). Just ask yourself why you are doing it! It serves nothing but a ritualistic emotional support.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Yes,Yes,Yes
I agree worldwatcher
I thought it was just me but now that you said something...
I smoke Marlboro ultra lights and have for years, I have noticed a change in taste over the years but in the last couple of weeks the change is most prominent and the taste has a more chemical feel to it. In the past when I noticed a change I guess I became "used" to it after continuing to smoke but this change has been significant and I can still tell the difference after almost a month of the "change".
I love a smoke but I am beginning to lean towards the more natural brands as stated by some other posters like True Spirit. The recent "change" in the big tobacco smokes is way too chemical for my tastes, somethings not right...
As for Dg's op on shortage, I have not experienced that here in Georgia but having SC as our neighbor helps out.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Head for the hills!

As the spouse of a 34 year smoker who has willingly laid them aside on at least nine occasions, I predict WWIII if there are soon none to be had. There will be riots at local stores, drive by shootings of non smokers, an increase in domestic violence, and road rage will become the norm. I've been there on a smaller scale, and it ain't pretty.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join