It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have noticed stores are not replenishing cigarrette stocks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Haven't noticed anything with the smokes, but I have noticed that Safeway stores seem to sell Copenhagen that's stamped with 3+ month old dates. I have only noticed this at Safeway. Everywhere else is selling 1 or 2 week old (sometimes even fresher) Cope. To me that says it's the store's fault and not a break in the supply.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
We KNOW from studies that smokers almost never get alzheimers or parkinsons. We know that children who grow up around smokers have WAY less incidences of allergies and/or respiratory issues. These are facts from scientific papers. You can look up "beneficial effects from smoking" or some similar term. You are going to be surprised at the research on this, which is always kept hush-hush.

If smoking is so good for you and if this is a fact that can be found in "scientific papers," would you be so kind as to provide some links to such data, from "scientific papers," preferably?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
For those of you who smoke, keep an eye out.

I havent had much trouble at gas stations or little convenience stores- but there's nothing practically at the bigger stores.

This tells me something.
Its just like "them" to start getting rid of the stuff without a peep. Of course, the stuff that kills and ruins families, like alcohol there's plenty of.

But the fat cats like their booze, so we cant eliminate that.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I know we could find a lot on Aspartame, carbon monoxide (SUV and car exhaust), rubber particulate in the air (from all the spinning rubber tires), chemicals in food, pesticide usage (80% reduction in bees, but that's a whole other thread), plastics and how related chemicals are in the food and water supply...that aught a keep us busy!

It's interesting to me if so many people have quit smoking, why the cancer rates haven't dramatically dropped? Hmmmm. Something isn't right here.

Oh, and may I recommend: 100% organic / all natural cigarettes. They taste much better and come with sooooo much less chemicals in them. They also taste better and smoke twice as long.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Whats going on?

Obviously, I am not saying this positively IS so, but the study of history and sociology has shown me that in all fascist regimes and many (at least nominally) non-fascist ones during times of "crisis", there is always a preferred scapegoat (or a series thereof - sometimes quite surprising). Rather obviously, it is always presented as a measure thought out of (individual or collective) "well-being" concerns - in other words, for your benefit.

I suppose this could be interpreted as a variant of the usual - and very common - "let's see how far we can push it" mechanism.

(Just for the record: I don't think it's a "conspiracy" elaborated on a conscious level - not in this case, anyway - but the underlying mind frame and ultimate goal are the same as in conspiracies: psychological control.)

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I know all about cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes from age 18 to age 46, dipped snuff from age 23 to age 25, and smoked cigars from age 46 to age 55.

That's plenty of time to understand, at least subjectively, what cigarettes do to a human body.

What I'm waiting for is some evidence that cigarettes are good for a person, as was previously purported.

[edit on 2008/4/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

It's interesting to me if so many people have quit smoking, why the cancer rates haven't dramatically dropped? Hmmmm. Something isn't right here.

Do you have warning labels on cigarette packs?
Have you seen what they list?

That's what isn't "right".

I am quite willing to make a prediction here, however unpopular it may be:

Not only will the rates of (supposedly) nicotine-related diseases NOT drop - there will likely be an INCREASE in the rates of all those conditions that are listed on the warning labels (but people weren't quite as aware of them until the labels appeared or became as conspicuous as they are lately).

You probably know what I am talking about.
If not, I'll refer you to Rupert Sheldrake (and MANY others, some even before him).

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well, i suppose the only thing to do is ask. And i will.

Its very suspicious that stores that had just about every brand are now limping along with a handful of cigs that dont really sell.

I'm going to do a little investigating on my own. I will let you all know.

I will ask for the manager, and i can tell BS when i see it/hear it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
It's probably because Springer and I stopped smoking. That could potentially have destroyed the entire tobacco industry.

Not really (really on we did stop smoking like over 2 months ago thanks to Chantix, not really on the joke about destroying the tobacco industry), but we at least made a dent in the local demand.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
What I'm waiting for is some evidence that cigarettes are good for a person, as was previously purported.

It's not so much as the cigarettes are bad for us. It's all the chemicals they pump them with.

Addition of ammonia compounds, which speed the delivery of nicotine to smokers by raising the alkalinity of tobacco smoke. These compounds also distort the measurement of tar in cigarettes, giving lower readings than would actually be inhaled by the smoker;
Addition of chemicals, such as acetaldehyde and pyridine, that act to strengthen nicotine's impact on the brain and central nervous system.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Did you get that? Ammonia. You know what other drug has ammonia added to make it more addictive?

Crack coc aine.

That's what pisses me off the most that I still smoke. Knowing I still do BECAUSE they made it so by adding things to make me more addicted. And to all the whiners out there that are going to say "just stop", it's not that easy.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thats funny. There has been a harder time of getting cigs here as well....SB, CA

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
...to all the whiners out there that are going to say "just stop", it's not that easy.

Well, I'm not whining because I beat my nicotine addiction and you can, too.

There is a lot of advice almost everywhere, but here's mine.

Make up your mind to do it and take sole responsiblity for your addiction.

Don't smoke for three days.

If you can do that, you're good to go. You've beat the addiction.

If you lapse and have another cigarette, just chalk it up to experience and don't smoke another one for three days, and so on.

After you've gone three days without a cigarette, you've beat the physical component and that leaves the psychological and social components.

You might have to change your social habits and maybe avoid your friends for awhile. It wouldn't hurt to wash all your clothes, sheets, drapes, etc. to get rid of the odor of cigarettes. It wouldn't hurt to take up some other activity that keeps your mind occupied. Exercise wouldn't hurt, if you doctor approves.

You're right. It's not that easy, but it's not that hard either.

You can do it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't mean you or anyone else for that matter. Just people who have never smoked and don't know. I've tried gum, lozenges, patches and chantix. Obviously, it didn't work. I am planning to quit soon again though. I'm just sick of it really. The lozenges worked the best. Haven't tried the cold turkey thing yet. I'm afraid I'd kill my mate.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
dg:
Here in NH, there ia humongous push to sell off alot of one-off old brands...(think Old Gold n Luckys, ect.. for a buck a pack!) My Basics are becoming scarce; I did have to wait a day for the local mini mart to get some... hmm...I know Basics are Phillip Morris (read: Marlboro), so may be there's something up... waiting for the price increase...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Congratulations, Grady, Vall and Springer!

I know it can be done- painful as it may be...
I just dont like all those buggy things walking around my skin) and dont i have enough trouble and anxiety already

I know it will be replaced by something else...I cant just not have anything!

Oh God, i dont want to become a drunk , or worse, going to the HOspital Friday nights just for the hell of it to see what i can get.
I'd rather be within the law if i can help it.

I'm just speaking for myself. I have to have some escape

I dont know. Rehab maybe? I have gone thru some incredible things just to get to a butt- i'd rather not talk about it.

Vall, isnt Chantix supposed to give you heart attacks?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I apologize dg for derailing.

Back to topic. Smokes around here in DC are pretty plentiful. But, then again, I go to 7/11 and you said convenient stores aren't what you're talking about.

[edit on 4/29/2008 by Griff]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Nonsense. You werent derailing at all.

Its all good, and interesting and helpful.
Keep the thread alive and maybe someone has the answers and the solutions.

I dont want to smoke. Heck, i cant afford it. I just want to wean myself off and not get up to go to the store one day and have some one say "Sorry, cigarrettes are outlawed"....because i'd probably punch them.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Plenty of smokes here in south florida. I always buy at gas stations as the drug and grocery stores are way more expensive($4-4.50 per pack). I generally can find my brand (camel lights) at in a buy one- get one free about 75% of the time. Works out to about $2.25 per pack. usually have Cokes (my other diet vice) for 2 for $5. I figure between the two I save about $15 a week on about $30 bucks worth of stuff. Pretty much negates the increased gas prices for me. They stick me on the gas and I stick them on these deals.

National (hess in particular) gas stations are the place for smokes and cokes. The groceries and drug stores are way more expensive.

Now don't you all start scarfing up my free Camel Lights.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I've noticed a shortage where im at in Souther Missouri. I'll keep an eye out...as someone said earlier, and like i was on the news tonight some suppossed "terrorists" buy ciggs off of indian land in NewYork where they don't pay tobacco tax then they sell them to gasstations for a profit. it's been said they make 100k per day in profit from doing this. The news said it was localized in NewYork and other New England states.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
My brand has been unavailable from three of the regular stores I purchase them from for at least a week.

I had no clue this was true of others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join