It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2004

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne

Originally posted by magickalworld
There were a bunch of quakes off the coast of Honshu, Japan yesterday; that may be the activity that all the sites are picking up....They have been having hundreds of aftershocks.....Magick

Thanks Magick. I had seen that but I'm having a hard time with the concept that a M 6.9 could show up all over the world. Even a M 9 in Japan shouldn't show up on the other side of the planet unless perhaps it was related to volcanic activity *and* all the places it showed in were volcanic *and* the magma could carry the vibrations from the quake. Does anyone know if this is even theoretically possible? I know that Mt Fuji is near Honshu but it doesn't seem to be related to the quakes.

Harmony,

This is right from the USGS website:

Earthquakes with magnitude of about 2.0 or less are usually call microearthquakes; they are not commonly felt by people and are generally recorded only on local seismographs. Events with magnitudes of about 4.5 or greater - there are several thousand such shocks annually - are strong enough to be recorded by sensitive seismographs all over the world. Great earthquakes, such as the 1964 Good Friday earthquake in Alaska, have magnitudes of 8.0 or higher.

I have received 7 e-mails from the USGS since yesterday stating that there were earthquakes off the coast of Honshu, Japan, and their magnitudes ranged from 5.5 - 6.9.....Hundreds of other aftershocks were probably all in the 4.5 - 5.5 range.....I'm not saying that all the quakes on the seismometers were from the Japan quake, but some of them definitely were.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by magickalworld

This is right from the USGS website:

Earthquakes with magnitude of about 2.0 or less are usually call microearthquakes; they are not commonly felt by people and are generally recorded only on local seismographs. Events with magnitudes of about 4.5 or greater - there are several thousand such shocks annually - are strong enough to be recorded by sensitive seismographs all over the world. Great earthquakes, such as the 1964 Good Friday earthquake in Alaska, have magnitudes of 8.0 or higher.

Ya wouldn't think....
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm actually a little relieved.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Thanks to member QuietSoul I can now share the Quake Analysis again! It is updated through 10/16.

Quake Analysis

Thank you so much QuietSoul!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Thanks to Quietsoul and to Valhall --- I am such a dork I just love graphs and charts....

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hey Harmony, Did you feel this quake around 2:00 a.m.?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Pretty strong one!!

Magick

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I did feel it. I was working on an ATS post and the beads on my lamps started swaying and then my recliner shook. I live in a mobile home so when there's even a little one I feel it. This one felt like it lasted forever though so I figured it would be reported as a stronger one. Its interesting to me that while there seem to be fewer eartquakes the past few weeks, the ones there are feel stronger. ValHall....Is this just the way the cycle goes, in your opinion, or are we seeing something a little different now?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I guess you felt all the aftershocks too then....I imagine that Oregon feels a lot of the "shakes" being between California and Washington, huh?!

A psychic on "Coast to Coast Live" with George Noory tonight said that he had a dream that Seattle would experience a big quake today (11/6) at either 7:15 a.m. or 7:15 p.m., and there would be a 200 foot tsunami....I sure hope he is wrong!!

Magick

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I hadn't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. There has been some seismic activity up that way that no one seems to be paying alot of attention to. But it seems like the kind of stuff that could be pointed to after a big quake as precursors. Like seismic activity on Mt Constitution, lots of little stuff in Washington, Mt St Helens, and the Vancouver quakes in the last week.

But then a psychic did predict it. According to most of the people here (ATS) that means it wont happen.
U2U coming your way.....

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The quake analysis has been updated with data through 11/02.

Quake Analysis

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Quake analysis has been updated through 11/17

Quake Analysis

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Val:

I don't suppose you have long and lat points for all the quakes this year. Being a bit of a database master (no, I'm not talking about Access, I'm talking real DBs), it might be fun to throw all that data into a database.... who am I kidding on second thought:

Do you know where I can get long and lat and magnitude numbers for earthquake for say the last 10-20 years in an easy to read (aka text) format to toss into a database and see if we can get some neat shtuff as a result of some hardcore analysis?

Osiris

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
otlg 27,

Here is a list of historical databases with longs and lats of quakes at the USGS site:

neic.usgs.gov...

Have fun!!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by otlg27
Val:

I don't suppose you have long and lat points for all the quakes this year. Being a bit of a database master (no, I'm not talking about Access, I'm talking real DBs), it might be fun to throw all that data into a database.... who am I kidding on second thought:

Do you know where I can get long and lat and magnitude numbers for earthquake for say the last 10-20 years in an easy to read (aka text) format to toss into a database and see if we can get some neat shtuff as a result of some hardcore analysis?

Osiris

otlg, you can go to NEIC and download the data yourself, or I can email you my spreadsheet. Here are the parameters I use in my query against their database when I do an update:

Beginning date: 2004 - 1 - 1
End date: 2004 - last date of data in database

I always pull the entire year every time I update because it can take them weeks to a couple of months sometimes to add a quake, or determine its final mag...so that way I know I've got the year accurately.

u2u if you want my spreadsheet.

[edit on 11-24-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The quake analysis has been updated with data through 12/01.

Quake Analysis

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The Quake Analysis has been updated through 12/9:

Quake Analysis

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The Quake Analysis has been updated through 12/15:

Quake Analysis

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
The Quake Analysis has been updated through 12/15:

Quake Analysis

That includes this week's earthquake, that I felt while I was lunching.

It was one of the strongest earthquakes I ever felt, it was a 5.4 in the Richter scale and it was felt as a 4 in the modified Mecalli scale here in the Lisbon region.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The Quake Analysis has been updated through 12/22:

Quake Analysis

Please note this data is only through 12/22. With the extreme activity happening in the past 24 hours all red bars (estimates for year-end total activity) are LOW.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The quake analysis has been updated with data through 12/27:

Quake Analysis

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out something I've noticed on the quake activity since the big one.

There have been several 2.0 range earthquakes in Turkey ever since. They seem to have jumped up into the 3.0 range in the past 24 hours.

Also, we are now seeing activity in the Sea of Japan (two 5.0+ quakes so far today).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join