It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Couple Gets 'Trespassing Ticket' Instead of Marriage License!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Gay Couple Gets 'Trespassing Ticket' Instead of Marriage License!

rawstory.com

When Dan Pinello and Lee Nissensohn went into the Oyster Bay, Long Island clerk’s office on Monday to apply for a marriage license, the gay couple knew they had no chance of receiving one, since New York State law does not recognize same-sex marriage. They wound up receiving a citation for trespassing instead.

The mens’ original intention was to practice civil disobedience and stage a sit-in until they were removed by police. “We are law-abiding citizens,” said Pinello, who is a professor of government. “We pay our taxes. We have no other choice left.” However, they eventually agreed with town officials to leave once they were ticketed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Man, what an explosive issue. I know there are pro's and cons, but should these folks not be allowed to pursue the same rights as everyone else? Ticketing them for tresspassing---Over the top? Or justifiable?

The two men, who are both in their 50’s, have been living together for 13 years and say they just want the same rights and benefits as their neighbors. They began a letter-writing campaign two years ago and have hundreds of supporters in the area, dozens of whom dozens protested outside the office until Pinello and Nissensohn emerged.

“We’re not trying to make statements here,” the town clerk later explained. “We’re trying to do our jobs.”

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
hile I agree that they should have the exact same rights as everyone else, the two men did state that they intended to be removed by police. They knew they were going to get ticketed, so that part is not really an issue. The real issue is that they are not allowed to get married, and thus, the only choice they had was to get a trespassing ticket (They still issue those?)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. I've never understood how this is such an issue. Seems to me the phrase "separation of church and state" is pretty clear. Seems however, that whenever same-sex marriage is concerned, the church is all that matters. Logic, common sense, free-will, self-expression and the right to be who you are all get tossed out the window. To me, this is no different than denying a couple a marriage license because they both like the color orange.

new topics

top topics

join