It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality: The Grand Illusion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is a good read. It explains why there will be a paradigm shift happening, which will be the reverse of what we currently think of reality.

We currently think reality is "out there" and that it exists outside and independent of us. The new (super)paradigm will be like this. There is an underlying reality, but we never experience it directly. What we perceive, what we see is nothing but the construction of our consciousness. Everything that exists around us is created by consciousness and is projected according to it.

Reality (everything in the universe and every experience we have) is all in the mind. All within our consciousness, and is created by our consciousness.

REALITY: The Grand Illusion

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This sounds like some of the theories from the movie "what the bleep do we know"

Sounds very interesting and i will read up on it

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
*pokes sparky*

Look sparky, they're catching up!

p.s; Naturally, it doesn't end there - You can just keep going and going and sooner or later you'll realise you're going around in a spiral.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Reality (everything in the universe and every experience we have) is all in the mind. All within our consciousness, and is created by our consciousness.

so, if my reality is in my mind, and your reality is in your mind, there are 2 different realities between us, and billions of different realities across the globe.
No wonder we can't agree on anything.
On the other hand I take it that there is just one over-arching consciousness that we all are a part of somehow. Unfortunately, I still struggle with the concept of consciousness in and of itself, or as a distinct thing from mind, so I'm afraid its a little over my head.
need help ..

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That's because there really is only one reality (it is just split in perhaps trillions, quadrillions, sextillions or septillions of times or more). You and I are just parts of the same entity who is the one who is doing the actual creating. We are that entity, there is no separation between all of us. Individuality is actually an illusion, which is a hard pill to swallow, but that's the way the new paradigm describes it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Good thread topic. S+F.

This paradigm shift is well on its way. Still sounds outrageous to most, but give it a few years and will become mainstream.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Indeed. I've been coming to the same conclusions since about 8 years ago. Nice to see it's catching on. 100th Monkey phenomenon perhaps?

Synchronicities aren't an uncommon occurrence in my life, which doesn't surprise me given what I've learned.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Indeed. I've been coming to the same conclusions since about 8 years ago. Nice to see it's catching on. 100th Monkey phenomenon perhaps?

haha, thank you for using that example in this context.

It just adds humour to the situation. Its catching on, I see it around me daily.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
it's good to see humanity evolving and admitting that we do not know all the answers to life. the 'mind' has a mystical, nigh seductive force of attractive philosophy for me, and it's always calling to me. my own mind and its limitlessness keeps me going in anticipation for what the next day could bring. tomorrow, i may ascend out of my fleshbag and find all the answers.

some things feel right...whether it is a belief in something or someone...or even just a stray thought that you can't let go of...this new definition of reality has that feel for me. it puts whatever purpose or destiny into my own hands, where my only limit is myself, where i only have myself to blame for the good and the bad.

that is where western religion failed me, by trying to convince me that i am nothing but worthless garbage without a god's blessing upon me, saying you had no control or power internal or external. god was everything.

with how we are coming to view reality now, maybe god still exists, but we definitely are not just puppets or eyeballs to view the world from the sidelines. we are the world. we could even be gods for all i know...

the mental boundaries are finally coming down...only time knows where humanity will end up.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Good post, OP. Lately, I love reading books that combine the latest scientific discoveries with metaphysics. It is true, modern physics is not that far off from what spiritual texts have said for millennia.

I recommend reading "The Field" by Lynne McTaggart... she has put together a compendium of scientific discoveries (even though most of them are not yet accepted by mainstream science). For example, physicists found out that the space between atoms, simply speaking, is not empty, it is the underlying energy of everything, maybe even what you could call "universal consciousness" or "God." It's called "zero point field," you can google it to find out more about it. It's quite fascinating.

I've believed for a long time that reality is not what it seems to be. What really threw me for a loop, though, was one passage in "The Field," where they say that the old scientific belief that an image of our world is basically projected on the eye's retina and then sent to the brain is wrong. They say now that what our eyes perceive is in fact a WAVE INTERFERENCE PATTERN, which then is turned into an image by our brain. Can you imagine that???

That means our "reality" could very well consist of nothing but waves and wave patterns, and our brain is generating a neat little picture for us out of those wave patterns. It just blew my mind when I read that.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
I recommend reading "The Field" by Lynne McTaggart...

Excellent recommendation and I second that. I gave my copy away to a friend, but this reminds me that I need to purchase another copy. Lynne has done a few interviews on Coast to Coast, I'll see if there are any links available....

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

That being one of my pet subjects to ponder about (I wish I'd get paid for it...!), I have very little doubt that it is so... at least up to a point.

But, as I've asked in other threads, what I'd like to know is WHEN and HOW does this process start and take place?

Because, let's face it, tiny babies who know nothing about the "construction" of reality, or indeed about "reality" itself, will react in the exact same way to certain external, physical stimuli - like a hand waving to them, certain sounds, etc. - regardless of the culture they were born into. And I am sure it's pretty safe to assume they haven't been "indoctrinated" by anyone or anything at that point.

Some might argue that we don't really know "how" they perceive and react to internally. That may be true; but the fact that their external reactions to given external stimuli are practically identical does say something about the existence of a very "objective" basis for further reality constructions, if there are any.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

with how we are coming to view reality now, maybe god still exists, but we definitely are not just puppets or eyeballs to view the world from the sidelines. we are the world. we could even be gods for all i know...

In truly (and profoundly thought-out) theist approaches to life, people were never "puppets" or anything like that, Banyan - quite the opposite.

Specifically, there is a basic, all-important belief present in all of the Abrahamic religions (albeit often obfuscated by later purely rational philosophical "developments"):

God sees through your eyes.
God experiences the world through you.

And - surprise - that's no metaphor.
That's why you were created in the first place.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yay *claps hands*.

Finally.... finally. As stated former, there is infinitely more and all words are ideas are interchangable once known as the truth, but glad to see that it's finally making its way to mainstream, I've had a tough time carrying its load around here on ATS and sticking up for it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

This isn't exactly new, Bandit, eastern religion dwell on this for a long time.
On the Ancient Wisdom of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism & Confucianism

The most important characteristic of the Eastern world view - one could almost say the essence of it - is the awareness of the unity and mutual interrelation of all things and events, the experience of all phenomena in the world as manifestations of a basic oneness. All things are seen as interdependent and inseparable parts of this cosmic whole; as different manifestations of the same ultimate reality.

From the Dalai Lama
A Biased Mind Cannot Grasp Reality

Honestly Bandit, people don't have the power to control reality, not even their own. Otherwise, why the elites have so much of a field day controlling the masses. It's very cliche, Bandit, people just want to talk about the realization, but don't want to experience it. The self is dark and weak, and people just cannot bear it.

Here's a quote from Jim

Decentralization, rather than the New World Order of globalism, is the key because history has shown that once power is centralized, invariably some Hitler or Stalin comes along to take it and impose tyranny on his fellow humans.

But this will take tremendous commitment on the part of many persons, predominately young people, who have not yet completely bought into fast-track, feel-good consumerism and who have the energy and idealism to see such a plan though. But can they be weaned away from self-indulgent computer play, video games, mindless TV programming and sports?

Have you got what it takes?

Jim Marrs

Yes, reality is not independent from you, yes it is influenced or created by your consciousness. Can you change it then? Well, can you?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

This isn't exactly new, Bandit, eastern religion dwell on this for a long time.
On the Ancient Wisdom of Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism & Confucianism

I know it isn't new in eastern religion. It's new within the western world view, although hints and indications where given here and there during history; Jesus describing the Kingdom of God being within us, for example.

Honestly Bandit, people don't have the power to control reality, not even their own. Otherwise, why the elites have so much of a field day controlling the masses. It's very cliche, Bandit, people just want to talk about the realization, but don't want to experience it. The self is dark and weak, and people just cannot bear it.

Simple, it's because of the way the majority of us were brought up. People thought the earth was flat 500 years ago, because they were brought up to believe that. That belief was prevalent everywhere when they were infants and children, so naturally they would adopt that as their own view of reality.

Same with us now, we are brought up with the belief that reality is something out there, tangible, independent of us and that there is nothing we can do about it besides certain things that we can do with our hands (physical work).

Just give the people chance to realize the notion that the world around them is nothing more than a product of their consciousness. It has started already (albeit incomplete with "what the bleep" and "the secret").

It's an ongoing process which might take some times or can be completed instantly in the future (which is dependent on our consciousness anyway).

But besides that. What makes you think that I am only talking about it and not doing anything about it?

The answer to that question can only vary with my belief, Years ago I would've told you no, in fact even months ago I would've told you no. But I've personally reached some breakthroughs (partly with help from Skyfloating's Law of Attraction thread and partly from other resources) that I am starting to feel in my heart that I do have what it takes.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
As an individual who reads about past life memories and who thinks its the closest thing we have to evidence of spirituality, I'm not sure I'd accept the idea that all consciousness is singular. Reincarnation implies a multiple in consciousness. If all living beings are under the direction of a single consciousness, having an individual consciousness that survives death and goes on to another life would make even less sense than the jumble that I already see life as.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

It's new within the western world view, although hints and indications where given here and there during history; Jesus describing the Kingdom of God being within us, for example.

Or saying that "nothing is impossible to those who believe", reinforced by very unambiguous imagery to drive the point home.

That's a whole lot more than a wink and a nudge, if you ask me...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
But besides that. What makes you think that I am only talking about it and not doing anything about it?

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking to you - about people especially young ones. Okay, granted, you're right, it's the upbringing. But that is why young people also have the better chance than the old ones, and Jim pointed that out.

But this will take tremendous commitment on the part of many persons, predominately young people, who have not yet completely bought into fast-track, feel-good consumerism and who have the energy and idealism to see such a plan though. But can they be weaned away from self-indulgent computer play, video games, mindless TV programming and sports?

Originally posted by TheBandit795
partly with help from Skyfloating's Law of Attraction thread and partly from other resources

Oh no.
Is it the discussion on the thread or the actual Law of Attraction? I'm not familiar with the law. What I hear is it's just a bunch of new age mumbo jumbo. Perhaps you can enlighten me on this.

I have to say though, eventually quantum physics will catch up to this. I read it somewhere very recently that the universe doesn't exist without the one who perceives it, or something like that. Unfortunately I cannot locate the www link.

add:
ps: I have mixed feelings about the new age movement.

[edit on Tue, 29 Apr 08 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm telling you guys, reality is like a dream. There is the majority of people who can't control their dreams, and then there is the rare few who learn how to "Lucid dream" and CAN control their dreams and make their own reality.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by thehumbleone]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join