It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-Tech Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

High-Tech Pirates

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A French yacht. A Japanese tanker. A Spanish fishing boat. After several years of decline, pirates are striking with increasing frequency on the high seas.

Attacks in the first three months of this year were up 20 percent compared with the same period in 2007, analysts say. Last year saw more pirate attacks than the year before.

And while the motive is still money, today's pirates are a far cry from the eye-patched, peg-legged swashbucklers of Hollywood.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
"U.S., France introduce anti-piracy resolution at United Nations"

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
click here for a map showing piracy activity

^^

As always CNN is full of it.

This is nothing new - they're just trying to grab attention.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Send in the Old Ironsides. Show what she can do even after more than two centuries since fighting pirates in that area.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Unfortunately Delta, these ocean-going marauders are quite aware of the fact that there are too many merchant vessels, luxury yachts, passenger ferries and so on and so forth that are going around without any decent protection.

After all, if you spotted some Asian millionaire's private yacht sitting the middle of the bay of bengal completely undefended, even the most cautious of them wouldn't think twice about boarding that vessel and taking the commander and crew hostage.

Tis' the beauty of electronic warfare mate - you can see a hostile ship coming at you from hundreds of miles away.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here's a link to my thread from a few days ago

Somalia Pirates

They show statistics of 2007 being @ 31 attacks, with 2008 exceeding that total by far. As your source shows 2008 already at 40+.

The article I posted also mentions a US Warship in the mix with one of the attacks.

The size of the gang more than doubled to 20 when the pirates began to fear an American warship patrolling the area might try to free the hostages.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

oops. i forgot to do a search on it.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

That don't mean we should give up. Certainly that U.S. has not when they sent the young U.S. Navy at the time to take on the Barbary pirates. Even now the U.S. Navy is on anti-piracy operations dealing with modern pirates. More than 200 years it still happens to this day.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revealer

No problems

You can have an 'alternative breaking news' and a running topic at the same time.

Yours is just more interesting then mine

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

You'll never be able to stop every single pirate mate - it's one of nature's laws that the sea is it's own master.

The environment can go from perfectly placid to insanely chaotic in a matter of hours, and once things go chaotic you either slow down or risk damaging your vessel.

And no self-respecting Captain will risk damaging a multi-million pound peice of hardware.

A Pirate captain on the other hand, is more than willing to risk damaging his hardware if it means he thinks he can get away with it alive.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Its the same as dealing with crime. Since there will always be crime should this mean that there is no point of having law enforcement around? Same thing for having a navy. Can't stop them all, but it sure can migitate the the spread of piracy.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Oh sure you can try and sink a few pirate vessels, and you'd be commended for it.

It's not a war you can win just by stopping one or two, or even the majority.

If you really wanted to do something about it, you'd need to attack the cause of piracy, which is - of course - those members of society whom are psychologically pre-disposed towards taking advantage of others.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

O yeah like that would help these pirates from robbing and raping the crew.

Sir why did you boarded and raped a 11 year old girl and murder her parents? Well I had this urge in my body to rape her and murder her parents so they don't intervene. Can't blame me for it.

Its kind of like the Vikings. Understanding why they raid villages and towns nearby.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by deltaboy]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Say what you like, if you don't attack the root of the matter then the branches will keep spreading and spreading, no matter how many you hack off.

Except of course in this case the branches are individual pirate groups/fleets, and the cause/root is Materialistic individuals whom are dissatisfied with the abject poverty their families/friends/lives are in.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The root of the matter is that these bastards like to make money the easy way by robbing others and not working for themselves. I decided to go teaching to make about 50k a year, not rob and hope to make about a million in one hour.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Have you actually looked at the map i provided before?

Here it is again

The places which piracy is predominant are not places in which one would be able to make a half-decent wage simply by doing honest work - and if you did, you would be a target for the people who didn't.

It's the way the world works that makes piracy inevitable, and yes, i'm sure they would love to justify it that way, but it doesn't mean i think that it's right.

I sympathise, that's all.

It's a dog-eat-dog world in those places, a far cry from the world that we know and live in.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Guess you haven't notice that we don't have piracy in our own waters and around Europe is cause we have the Coast Guard and the awesome Navy. Those countries don't have the resources to combat them hence why those dots over there but none here. Should be glad they can't do piracy in our waters with all the wealthy people living. If we Americans considered ourselves wealthy.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by deltaboy]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I see you're getting the idea, it's not as if we can just send in the fleets into some of those areas because certain countries might object to it.

At best we could wage a sort of 'war on piracy' similar to the 'war on terror' (or at least, the way it was supposed to be) and pray to God or Allah or w/e the [profanity] you want to believe is a greater being than yourself that everyone else jumps on the bandwagon.

If they don't, then that's a possible safe habour for the pirates to ditch their ships and hide away for a few years while they enjoy the plunder.

That's how it works, at least to my reckoning - they do it like a guy would do a bank-job, and then squander the innings for years afterwards.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still bury treasure.

Maybe the best thing we could do would be to try and get China on board, and get them to go into indonesia and clear out that little nest of vipers while the allied forces handle the bay of bengal, the red sea and the persian gulf (provided the iranians don't get all uppity about it).

Then again, i'm not a fleet commander.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

new topics

top topics

join