It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney's Office Claims Immunity from Congressional Oversight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Cheney's Office Claims Immunity from Congressional Oversight

rawstory.com

In what appears yet another effort to strengthen his position in the executive branch, the attorney for Vice President Dick Cheney said in a letter released by Congress Thursday that the Congress lacks "lacks the constitutional power" to conduct oversight over his job.

The letter came in response to requests that Cheney's chief of staff David Addington testify about the his role in approving harsh interrogation tactics -- which some see as torture -- at Guantanamo Bay.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
If there is any doubt that Dick Cheney sees himself as above the law and unaccountable to the public through their elected representatives in Congress, it is surely this.

The VP's office is setting itself up as an independent branch of gov't, beyond the oversight function of Congress. Only dictators are not responsible to justify their actions.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Cheneys office just confirms immunity to 30 odd 30 bird shot, curt responses to interviewers, and naked women in sunglasses.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Old Dick does realise that just because he says "I am above the law" does not actually mean it right? I mean, I can walk around all day thinking and stating that there is nothing the law can do to me, but it is just being delusional.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well so far they've proven him right. Congress is a bunch of spineless fops that do nothing but wring their hands when he tells them to fornicate off.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

True...But what's even odder is that the wussy congress and totally corrupt SCOTUS seems to cower down and agree with him. You notice that he and Bush have commited virtually every crime we have a law for, and yet both are continually out in front of the press making wise-cracks about it all, wearing sh**-eating grins, and thumbing their noses at this nation. The lawlessness runs all the way through our ENTIRE gov.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by Finn1916

The lawlessness runs all the way through our ENTIRE gov.

It's sickening, but what can we do about it when the elections are rigged to maintain the status quo?

The major presidential candidates are all basically Xerox copies of each other. No matter who wins, the globalist agenda will be advanced and more of our rights and liberties will be stipped away in the name of "security".

I'm writing in Ron Paul this fall as a protest, because I refuse to vote for the other puppets.

Cheney and Bush need to be held accountable for their crimes, but Congress is too chickens--t to do anything about it!

[edit on 29-4-2008 by keeb333]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The "architect" of all this is David Addington, Cheney's lawyer and CoS; he's the one who cooked up the unitary executive, signing statements, and torture-is-not-torture (with help of Wu). It is amazing Congress has never challenged the admin. on any of this, especially signing statements--which basically is their way of saying how they will interpret and enforce (or not) the laws Bush signs.

new topics

top topics

join