It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the most effective way to silence the mind?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
One way I've recently discovered is to change my beliefs about my mind.

I've done it using the following. First I started to use the z-point process to help quiet my mind.

It's very easy to learn and it is free.

www.zpointprocess.com...

At the same time I ordered this audio: Think Right Now: Laser Focused Concentration Now.

www.thinkrightnow.com...

After several weeks listening to this while I sleep (which is not the most optimal way to use it, but the easiest). I noticed that I began to wake up with my mind being blank and quiet. My mind was less active, but not the way I liked yet. I didn't use it in the best way, but that didn't matter much to me.

I then subscribed to this (Yes, I like self-help programs).

www.intentiongenerator.com...

And then used the statements from the Think Right now program in it. My mind improved a lot! I can be quiet ans still and focused only on the present moment almost at will right now. I am much more relaxed because of this, and at the moment I am free of stress.

All of this took place from last January till now.

These (last two) cost some money, but it was more than worth it for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

I am sure you're familiar with the saying "if you can't beat them, join them"?

I suspect this is easier done than said (and no, this is not an error - it's really easier t do than to describe accurately), but you might want to start by just acknowledging every single thought that runs through your mind. Just follow your thoughts and identify each one of them before moving on (it's a very fast mental process, of course, but the mind is fast enough to perform such feats).

If you're anything like me, you'll be shocked.

It's a very useful place to start "controlling" your thoughts - and you'll learn a great deal about yourself (obviously).

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
First of all there is no mind. There is just awareness and memory and something that interprets both, that process is what I would call thinking.
Then there's being aware of that thought and finally the process of fitting it in (someone's life) and making sense of it, then the thought cycle renews itself and starts over again. We do this to control our environment so there are little unexpected (bad) things as possible. Above all we desire safety and comfort and by ordering the world around us we tend to keep on thinking about all kinds of things.

And even if we are comfortable and safe, because there is always some input from outside we are constantly busy interacting and creating expressions of that interaction so we can make sense to ourself. It may sound odd (to have a mind explaining the world to the self) imagine a thinking process that you are aware of your surroundings and understand them without having to formulate it in any way. Because we conceptualize the world around us to relate it to other concepts we put our interaction with and place in the world in a perspective we can understand. If we would not do this we would lose our basic order and comprehension of life and just be more like animals.

If there is any tip in achieving the difficult goal of silencing the mind is to do it naturally, only simple breathing meditations and let the mind answer the questions it asks itself. Depending on how curious you are yourself this might take a few hours to several weeks.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by reject

I am sure you're familiar with the saying "if you can't beat them, join them"?

I suspect this is easier done than said (and no, this is not an error - it's really easier t do than to describe accurately), but you might want to start by just acknowledging every single thought that runs through your mind. Just follow your thoughts and identify each one of them before moving on (it's a very fast mental process, of course, but the mind is fast enough to perform such feats).

If you're anything like me, you'll be shocked.

It's a very useful place to start "controlling" your thoughts - and you'll learn a great deal about yourself (obviously).

That's exactly what I do when I either can't fall asleep or am meditating. Works really good, just gotta give it some time and let your mind and focus on it, rather than trying to fight it.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by S.O.U.P.]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Hey there reject,

MEDITATION ...MEDITATION ... MEDITATION !!!

There are numerous techniques ... what works for one may not be right for another.

It's best to begin with the basics (breathing), as others have already said. When you breathe in through your nose make sure your mouth is closed ... and if you do it right you stomache should rise.
Then out through your mouth ... as if you were blowing out a candle ... continue to expel the air from your body as far as you can.

You should only repeat this 3-4 times to begin with as it can make you light-headed. Then try to focus on regulating your breathing as you continue.

My personal preference is 'Visualization' ... when I hold my meditation courses this is the method most beginners seem to get the most out of.

Other techniques I use are; (always begin with the 'breathing exercise) ...

1/ Listening to a clock with your eyes closed

2/ Staring into a candle flame

3/ Focusing on the chakras (I get my students to visualize each of their chakras as different colours of the spectrum) ... once they can do that I get them to vizualize these coloured circles (about the size of a large coin) beginning to spin like small 'Catherine Wheels' (one at a time) ... with practice they begin to feel the physical sensation

If you're not the kind of person to sit in a chair / lie on the floor contemplating your navel ... you could always try 'Tai Chi' (also known as 'The Walking Meditation'

The trick is to find the most suitable method for you as an individual ... but it is without a doubt the best way to silence the 'mind-chatter'.

I'd be happy to help more if you are interested. Just remember there is far more to meditation than sitting in the lotus position saying 'ohm' !

Woody

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I definitely agree that meditation is the key to quieting the mind. Reciting mantras works also. Or prayer. At night, I visualize a bright white light in my mind and try to keep it there and that's all I focus on. If all of your focus is on maintaining that light, there's little room for any thoughts to roll in and you're asleep in no time.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Get a gun, and shoot yourself in the head.

Haha just messing.

I don't think you can silence the mind, the mind is what makes you alive, silencing it would mean you would not be aware thus not alive.

But I know you can ALMOST silence it, and that's what people aim for when they meditate and OBE etc.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Start talking, seems to work real well, people start talking and their brain automatically shuts off as their mouth keeps running on and on an zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The best way to silence the mind is to meditate by counting your breaths.
This is the technique taught by Tibetan masters.
It is called shine, or shamatha meditation

Focus laser-like just on your breathing.
When you breath in think "One".
When you breath out say " One".
then two up to 21 then repeat.

If you can make it to 21 without being distracted then
you are beginning to control your mind.

When people cannot control their mind this is called monkey mind.
Because your mind behaves like a wild monkey chasing after thoughts.

When you can control your mind and not be distracted this gives you
a huge advantage over most people who have monkey minds.
It will increase creativity and precognition too.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Thank you. I seem to have hit on 1 suitable for me.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

I'd be very interested in how this works out for you. Could you please, at some point in the future, give us updates?

Meditation is important to me as it helps me in many ways.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
There's always something being process or running on in my mind, but I generally find that my surrounding environment has a lot to do with how active my mind is. There is a lot of objects in our environment that my trigger curiosity, old memories, and thoughts in the mind. Best way is to find an environment where you can calm your mind.

And it can vary, it doesn't have to be some tranquil natural scenery, though thats probably you best chance, heck even your backyard is good. But like I said, its usually up to the individual, I know a noisy environment such as the laundry room often ease or silence my mind, I believe it has something to do with the white noises produced my the machine....

I guess after choosing your preferable environment, pick up meditation, like zen meditation, it teaches you to clear your mind. However, I'm not the bloke to go talk to when it comes to meditation, I'm sorting of working on it myself, and I don't know which type of meditation is right for me.

Some meditation promote the idea of visualization, some awareness, and others promote the idea of mindlessness. I'm not sure which one is the suitable one for me, and I'm not sure how to approach both method either....so anyone who could provide me with more information about this.....like the purpose and benefits of each style and anything else, is there a proper one in particular?

EDIT:
Hey Electricneo, thanks for that little tad bit, that something that seems simple and easy enough to do.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by skyblueff0]

[edit on 4-5-2008 by skyblueff0]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Please excuse me if this has already been said.

There is no need to train the mind to shut up, after all what would you be doing?
You would be focusing on something to slowly teach you how to focus on something else!

It is simple. Mind chatter is only a symptom, not a problem. It is a symptom of not focusing.

I teach people in meditation who have trouble with mind chatter just to focus on what they Intend, no more and no less. If you choose a complex process to focus then you leave the door open for the mind to wander even more and create a whole range of chattering mental images.

At home you might like to focus only what actions you make, ie, I am now putting sugar in my coffee, I am now doing this or that. The same applies at any time, focus on NOW and after about 30 days or so you will have established a new routine of focusing in the now. It will be easier for you to frame intent and simply focus then, and if the chatter starts up you will have taught yourself how to let it go and not place attention on it.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My wife doesn't have the patience for meditation..she also has panic/anxiety attacks and O.C.D. She finds that playing a poker game on an old D.S. system help keeps her mind distracted enough to help achieve some peace.
For me, I find that if I let all the noise and thoughts just have their say....they shush up after awhile. The thoughts that repeat or won't go away generally have a reason behind them. Find the reason or the place they come from, be honest with yourself, breath deeply and fully at a calm pace and let your mind work itself out. It's usually yappin' for a reason. Let it say what it wants to say...listen to what it has to say and slowly it will start to run out of fluffy noise and you can start to touch on the important things that get stuck in the white noise of your mind.

Well...it works for me anyways. Good luck in your meanderings.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

To the OP: Shut down your medias (internet, TV, radio etc) - stop reading books and papers, go into clean nature or within your temple and consciously think nothing and do nothing (yes, it is called meditation).

We are constantly bombarded with such amount of information through medias that if one has even slightly imaginative mind, it is hard to focus on anything since all the info is seeking the correct slot in the brains

You may need few days to clear your head, but I guarantee the method above is clean and naturel.

Also someone said that do something which requires your full attention, like playing a instrument or building something complex. That could work also.

Also (so I am repeating, but I managed to miss this on the 1st read):

Originally posted by Electricneo
The best way to silence the mind is to meditate by counting your breaths.
This is the technique taught by Tibetan masters.
It is called shine, or shamatha meditation

Best of luck,

[edit on 4-5-2008 by v01i0]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Get a gun, and shoot yourself in the head.

Haha just messing.

I don't think you can silence the mind, the mind is what makes you alive, silencing it would mean you would not be aware thus not alive.

But I know you can ALMOST silence it, and that's what people aim for when they meditate and OBE etc.

HAHAHAHAHA

problem is, how the poor fool that going clean that mess up going to get image out of this head?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
I would like to shut my babbler of a mind up. It just won't stop.

Please share the best trick you know to NATURALLY & SAFELY quiet the incessant stream of obsessive compulsive thinking. Thanks!

lay off the caffeine, nicotine, processed carbohydrates, and most importantly, SUGAR.

Learn to "right meditate" .. meaning.. meditate YOUR WAY... whatever works.. to just.. "let go" of things in your mind/body... one by one.. till you can feel at ease.. then learn to directly.. slowly and peacefully.. control your mind and emotions.

do it as you go to sleep at night and when you wake up..

do this..

deep breathing.. 5 seconds in.. hold 5 sec.. 5 sec out.
do this 10 times.

keep doing this every night / morn.

but make sure you cut sugar out.

-

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join