It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the most effective way to silence the mind?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I would like to shut my babbler of a mind up. It just won't stop.

Please share the best trick you know to NATURALLY & SAFELY quiet the incessant stream of obsessive compulsive thinking. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I know how you feel about that constant dialog as I normally have the same thing going on in my mind.

The thing that I do to quiet the mind is find an activity that requires your utmost attention; such as playing an instrument, guitar, bass and sax for me. Outdoor activities that require concentration, flyfishing, tennis, etc.

Meditation with practice can also still the mind, but I prefer activities that are more physical.

However, sometimes I use a mantra in times of stress.

www.meditationiseasy.com...

[edit on 29-4-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hope someone comes up with some solutions...

would love to switch off and sleep at night

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject
obsessive compulsive.

You know what you could do - you could stop trying to justify what you see.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I find it odd that there are so many people out there who don't realise that they are slaves to the stimulations that are provided to them by capitalism.

This is the depth of materialism that people go on about - the craving for a source of entertainment or even the slightest input.

It does infact irritate me that people can be so vacuous about the topic.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well yes you can either try meditation or physical meditation to try to relieve yourself from what I call the "committee". There are always thoughts coming in and out of your mind and it is very hard to get them to stop but through meditation, it can be done. Physical meditation would be something that takes your mind off of everything and makes you concentrate on a certain task or action. (e.g. raking leaves, or doing a martial art kata, lifting weights etc..)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bushidomason
Physical meditation would be something that takes your mind off of everything and makes you concentrate on a certain task or action.

Granted, it takes your mind off everything but if you're referring to single point meditation it doesn't actually address the deep-seated problems that some people have.

The easiest way to stop thinking about anything whatsoever?

Sit in a room for a few hours, and do nothing - sooner or later you'll either fall asleep or you'll stop thinking about why you're in a room doing nothing.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Meditation is great, but since it can be difficult for beginners, I would suggest starting with focusing on your breathing. Lie on your back and take deep breaths in and deep exhalations. Think about nothing but your breathing.

I also find that headphones while lying down, playing relaxing music or nature sounds works well. You can combine your breathing with this.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I would have to say meditation is the key. Through meditation I am now able to silence my mind using sheer willpower but it hasn't turned the voice off completely only when I force it to shutup which takes some effort. The meditation I use to do this is known as Sahaja Yoga which involves raising the kundalini energy. There is a free sample of this on the webpage ---> www.sahajayoga.com... and they also run free weekly classes.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Now that i think about it, is it natural for a person to attain a level of mental control over themselves where they stop thinking permanently? - as in, i have to actually conciously think* about thinking about something in order to think about it.

Eonnn made a point that may hold a solution - people seem to be focusing on the possibility that you need to force the thoughts to stop, but that is simply not how it works.

When you think, you use energy, when you aren't thinking, you aren't using energy.

It really is that simple.

It's like learning how to slow down when you're riding your bike.

*Granted, it takes about as much effort as blinking.

p.s; you may think i'm spitting in the face of tradition and ages old wisdom, but that would be a gross twist of what i am saying (probably because of obssessive-compulsive thought).

It actually just trying to translate the ages old wisdom into words that make it bite-sized mind-food.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

Ex

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have always had sleep issues and am sleepy at times that are unusual followed by wideeyes when it is time to go to sleep.
I have learned to slow down and just accept the images that are
usually in the forms of faces ,that flash in a large collage of emotional expressions that seem to float in and out ,morphing into others.
Eventually I just say goodnight to them all and drift off.
I don't know if this is usual, this is just the way
I found to ease my mind, and realize that everything flows.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
antipsychotic medications are pretty good shutting the mind off..that is if the flouride and GM foods arent doing the trick.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fastwalker23

Get out and enjoy nature. Go camping and fishing and sit and listen to the sounds of nature and you'll silence your mind. Meditation is good while you do that. That's what I do when I want to get away from everything. No cars, no people just the sounds of nature and birds etc..

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by philosopherrose
I would suggest starting with focusing on your breathing. Lie on your back and take deep breaths in and deep exhalations. Think about nothing but your breathing.

Great advice!

In through the nose and out through the mouth.

This is a way to enslave the conscious mind, simply by concentrating on your breathing. At the end of each intake and end of each breath out, HOLD IT as long as you can and focus on breathing in and out as slowly as possible.

Don't gasp air or expel in a gush.

Focus on the control of each lungfull, both as you fill and release.

Slowly take it in and let it out.

Focus on the control. Focus on how your body reacts to holding in all that air.

Focus on how you react at holding empty lungs.

Feel the panic lessen as your body and mind accept the control it is being subjected to.

You may feel lightheaded with the extra oxygen. Slowing down the breath intake and expellation will smoothe this out.

Feel the peace this brings to you.

Don't stop controlling as long as you wish to meditate.

Then, concentrate not on thoughts, but on what your minds' eye sees all by itself behind closed eyelids.

Don't look for meaning, don't worry about what you may see, don't try to control your inner vision. Allow it to have free reign.

But keep on controlling your breathing the entire time.

It keeps the chattering monkey mind busy.

It's also a great way to fall asleep.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
imagine only time, say a second. In your head think of the timespan of the second. "beep"..."beep"..

Now divide the second.. "beepeepeep"

Now keep dividing till you reach a singularity, a total compression of time.

Now, rewind this process instantly in your mind until the second... becomes the infinite.

By this time you will feel as if separated from your body and sense yet still in control of them. Your mind should resemble a dark pool. You will feel as if your width and heighth are shifting exponentially from small to big to sizeless etc.

Now you are able to accept and process any information making its way to you.

Your mind has become the black hole, the swallower of information.

You can also occupy the mind totally with something, say, the image and essence of the sun, then, making that image and its presence in the mind absence, banishing the occupant, your mind is now a clean canvas. Although with time it will become cobvered with the dust of happenings and thought.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om

Now keep dividing till you reach a singularity, a total compression of time.

Interesting, that comparision is not all that dissimilar to how i prepare myself for split-second decisions.

Except what you have compared in the form of audiable perception, i do with visual - imagine for example, the very instant of the differentiation in the pixels on your computer screen.

Load up another browser window, and attempt to track the speed of which it happens with your naked eye.

The problem is that you can't - because it's instantaneous (with respect to certain operating systems that load up one half of the pixels, then the other).

It is often a great relief for me to be able to fall back on this form of hair-trigger choice-making in times of stress.

Of course, the important lesson i'm trying to put across here is that it is merely a trick of the mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
it occurs to me that everyone is just throwing out ideas without knowing for sure what the problem was the op was asking help for. he was kind of vague, but not entirely. for example, he may have been referring in a literal sense to obsessive/compulsive thinking, as in psychosis. the hint for me is the part about natural and safe methods. maybe it was just about relaxing before sleep, but it might be good to get some clarification from the OP before his issue gets buried in an onslaught of possibly irrelevant responses and suggestions.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by wayno]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject
I would like to shut my babbler of a mind up. It just won't stop.

Please share the best trick you know to NATURALLY & SAFELY quiet the incessant stream of obsessive compulsive thinking. Thanks!

If this is related to bi-polar issues, there is indication that high doses of trace minerals eliminate the symptoms of this issue.

Do a search on bi-polar and trace minerals. There's been a couple of studies out of Canada that I know of. One guy was even cured of bi-polar via trace minerals, if I remember correctly.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Adding to the brilliant advice already given in this thread, this would be another approach:

Look elsewhere. So, you´re not really looking to silence the mind or looking to do something with the mind, but I look elsewhere, gently extroverting attention to something of higher interest and/or beauty than the content of the mind.

Once you realize your attention has been lingering within the headspace, you gently shift it to something more important.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Some people put it to their minds that is how its going to be.. So until you honestly belive in yourself that you can slow that mind of yours down.
There really is nothing fancy about it.
Take a few deep breaths.. Lay down in bed, or find a comfy chair..
And just breath.. Dont think.. And dont tell youself not to think, or you will start to think.

Its a personal thing, that one must learn to do on your own. No one can tell you how YOU should go about doing something within your own mind.

You are that mind of yours..YOu have to belive and know it for sure!
If you doubt yourself, and doubt your mind, then that doubt will turn into more doubt and thought.

All you have to do is belive you can silence your mind, and it will become clear to you.
Searching and hoping is a good start, but in the end, its up to you to do it yourself!

However any thoughts lead into other thoughts. Try something simple.
And dont try to get to fancy, or buy into all sorts of tricks..

There is no tricks about it.. Its all about your mind, and no one is within that mind of yours.
You might have some things in your life that you need to clear up, to clear up your mind.
The body is connected to the mind.. If the body is not clear, than your mind will not be clear.

And silence is something you will get plenty of when you are dead.
So take this chance now, to understand what is rolling threw your head, and figure it out..

Like I always say.. I will get plenty of rest when Im dead!

Thats why I work alot, and just keep going!!! When you have alot of time on your hands, you will find.. Your mind will work for you..

I suggest also, keeping your mind so busy, that when you do lay down.. your mind is ready to be quite for a bit..
Work! work! work! Never give up and never stop!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join