It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This doesn’t surprise me in the least. I’ve watched my dog, which is a G Shepherd, Retriever, Chow mix, that was rescued from a shelter, catch a fish by stalking the shallows of a small lake, and catch a young squirrel that was not used to being stalked. He failed to kill either, as he had no example to follow. The instinct is definitely there though. My point is that I think that we underestimate both the ability of animals to act on instinct, and their reliance on being taught by their progenitors, just as we are. (or by human interlopers) I know that my companion could easily be taught to be a killer, but that’s just what would be required, my teaching him to kill. I honestly debate with myself whether I should show him this survival skill or not. It wouldn’t be difficult, and I’ve no doubt he could easily be restrained, as he readily obeys my every command. I probably should train him to be a hunter, given the present circumstances, but I doubt that I will. He’s the perfect companion just as he is, and I’m much better suited to providing for both of us.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I looked at that picture and sat stunned in awe....thanks OP!

But, part of my awe was.....I was wishing I had feet that could grip like a hand! Oh, well....the sacrifice we made to be bipeds....

WW

[add]....and, on top of it, I get a bunion!!! Ouch.

[edit on 4/29/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I just found this video on youtube of an orangutan using a canoe. It then searches an abandoned boat and takes a fishing trap from the boat and puts it in the canoe... Amazing... amazing...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

beaverg, good find! It has been my impression, that most great apes are afraid of the water, lacking the innate ability to swim.

This looks much like the 'chicken or the egg' question....did this Orang observe humans, and mimic? Or take the initiative on its own?

Has implications, though, as to our long-lost ancestors.....I would think, off-hand opinion here...that while our forebears spent hundreds or thousands of generations, trial and error, to learn tool making, hunting, etc....our near cousins are getting a leap forward, because of us.

I saw....ws it in South Africa?....a town that was assailed by a species, I think Orangs, who would open doors, invade homes, climb through windows....and, since protected, nothing the homeowners could do?

Other scenes involved the apes opening car doors, apparently quickly understanding the technique....amazing.

WW

ps....fortunately, their legs are still too short to reach the brake and accelerator pedals!!!

[edit on 4/29/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

the ` town invasion ` incidswnt - was IIRC baboons - if we both saw the same clip

the females " posted " thier young - through small gaps in security grills etc - and the youngsters then slipped the latches from the inside

while the males terrorised any humans that tried to interfer - and then carried off the loot they stole

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

That was an amazing video as well. It really surprises me the amount of intelligence we can see in these 'animals'. I have a pet rat and sometime she just stuns me at things she does.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Monkey see, Monkey do sums it up. Like suggested above, these guys are probably just copying human behavior. It is pretty amazing at the intelligence levels of some animals. Reminds me of the gorillas who can use sign language, bees who can give other bees "direction dances", and dolphins that can do simple math.

It's interesting.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by beaverg

Originally posted by Loutty
Someone must have unconvered an obelisk of somekind...

But seriously though this is some interesting stuff. Is this a wild orangutan or did is watch villagers try this. It would definitely be a lot more interesting if this was just some random wild ape.

Great post!

Supposedly it was an Orangutan with previous human contact that observed local villagers. I wonder if we can teach them to plant and harvest crops for bananas....

I dont know about planting and harvesting crops, but the day that I see a monkey driving a tractor is the day that I begin to worry, for you can bet that war will soon follow.

I believe it is one of the seven clear signs of an impending apocolypse

Great find....very impressive!!

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by speedmojo

Except that they're apes, just like us

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TimeTracker
reply to post by beaverg

I don't know about teaching them to plant and harvest.
But it's not too late to get one to run in the 08 election

Now if we can only get a picture of an ape whacking the leading presidential candidates with a stick!

Seriously though, I think the ape was influenced by his contact with humans.

The first thing I did think of was Planet of the Apes. That may be around the corner with all of the gene testing etc.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
1st, Um, isnt the Oran-utan a vegatarian?
Yes, it is.

2nd the pic is from the dailymail, isnt that something less than a credable source.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

punkin....based on our ancestry, we may have been 'vegetarians' millions of years ago....but our increasingly larger brains needed more calories, and we became omnivorous....lots more energy packed into meat than veggies!

WW

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
1st, Um, isnt the Oran-utan a vegatarian?
Yes, it is.

2nd the pic is from the dailymail, isnt that something less than a credable source.

Check out the youtube video, even if it is recognized as a vegetarian it clearly bites into a fish in the video.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I also do agree with others in this thread who believe that if this animal had no outside influence it would be a far greater feat, however, i guess we have no way of judging that influence. Let's also just ponder whether evolution is correct, could it be possible that we witnessed someone (E.T's) else doing something similar and tried it ourselves.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentShadow
I also do agree with others in this thread who believe that if this animal had no outside influence it would be a far greater feat, however, i guess we have no way of judging that influence. Let's also just ponder whether evolution is correct, could it be possible that we witnessed someone (E.T's) else doing something similar and tried it ourselves.

No to this last point. We are looking to the sky more than ever now and the only thing any one can come up with are blurry and questionable pictures.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

[DEVILS ADVOCATE]
Yes but that does not mean in the past that Aliens saw 'us' and decided that we needed a little boost and came and showed us a few things.
[/DEVILS ADVOCATE]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Just a short clip (preceded by an advert) but still relevant...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Article link

[edit on 4-5-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
These aren't apes but bloody amazing anyway.

www.funnyanimalvideos.com...

videos.caught-on-video.com...

Edit cause original link didn't work

[edit on 4-5-2008 by morthn1waytoskinacat]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

reply to post by morthn1waytoskinacat

Thankyou guys, they are some truly fascinating videos to show the intelligence of animals.

The crow one reminds me of this thread i created not too long ago:

Rats 'learn to use tools'

top topics

<< 1   >>

join