It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Orangutan attempts to hunt fish with spear

www.dailymail.co.uk

A male orangutan, clinging precariously to overhanging branches, flails the water with a pole, trying desperately to spear a passing fish.

It is the first time one has been seen using a tool to hunt.

The extraordinary image, a world exclusive, was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja, where apes are rehabilitated into the wild after being rescued from zoos, private homes or even butchers' shops.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I think this is an extraordinary picture of the intelligence of animals. But i think it goes deeper than that...

Have we just witnessed the missing link?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

More to the point, are we wathcing evolution in action?
If his offspring prove to be dominant, especially if they show the same type of innovation, we will be able to point to these animals as examples of evolution in situ.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So if there were an infinite number of orangutans do you think....

Ah hell, nevermind.

Great Find SS

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I posted a story about this over in the crypto section, but I like your story with the pic better.

This is totally kick-a** IMO. These beings are truly puzzle-solving sentient creatures. Very, very cool stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

The extraordinary image, a world exclusive, was taken in Borneo on the island of Kaja, where apes are rehabilitated into the wild after being rescued from zoos, private homes or even butchers' shops.

I do not find it that extraordinary. As the text says, these monkeys have been in extensive contact with humans, which suggests that they might have learned a few things from them. They might have also simply been trained to do these things, for whichever reason. Chimpanzees, for example, are known to have a variety of abilities... once they are taught these. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: Had this ape never been in contact with humans I would share your enthusiasm.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
IMHO - it looks more like mimiicing of human spear fishermen

there have been previous examples of primate tool use - grubbing sticks etc

not to detract from the achievement of the featured orangutang - but did it actually catch anything or was it just flailing a blunt stick in the water ?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I think that also, yes they have been in extensive contact with humans, but also I think that they are not totally stupid either. It reminds me of an experiment they did with some type of monkeys on an island, where they taught the monkies on that particular island to wash their food before eating, weeks later, monkies on nieghbouring islands, with no contact with the test monkies, all started doing the same.......?

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I can't find the vid online, but there was an excellent piece of footage on one of the David Attenborough programmes, which showed chimps in the Congo walking upright through a river.

They had sticks using them for balance and to prod to asses the depth of the water.

These chims i believe had not had human contact before, and showed the intelligence that these creatures have.

Nice find, and a great pic.

CX.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

indeed yes i have seen that program too, they def demonstrated ability to adapt, and yes they had zero contact with humans.

interesting post OP , Thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I also saw that David Attenborough program, i began to think i imagined it as i havn't found it since. However using a walking stick whilst advanced is nothing compared to hunting in this manner.

If these chimps simply observed humans then it proves they are smart, but it doesn't prove they are innovative, and that's one of the most important traits when you look at human evolution, from sticks and stones to flint. From simple mallets the the first time our ancestors decide that a stone ina stick works well as an axe. These are the key changes and i hope we see them in some primate sometime.

Thing is we were a freak mutation, all these people who say "oh but wouldn't apes evolve into us again", well actually no, the chances are low because it requires a specific mutation that's rare.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I would also have to ask if the spear was sharpened. That would show an advanced reasoning ability. If it was just a stick then maybe it was just mimicking what it had seen while in captivity somewhere.
Now, if there were a line on the end of the stick, and a fly on the end of the line, then that would be extra extra-ordinary.

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Aha, found a pic of the one i was on about, it was a gorrilla actualy....

For the first time ever, scientists have observed and photographed wild gorillas using tools, in one instance employing a stick to test the depth of a pool before wading into it, according to a study by the Bronx Zoo-based Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and other organizations. Up to this point, all other species of great apes, including chimpanzees and orangutans, have been observed using tools in the wild, but never gorillas.

Source: Wading gorrillas

I remember seeing the footage, it was real strange, it was like going back to the beginning of man all over again.

CX.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Apes have been known to use simple tools for quite some time, such as using a stick to get ants or termites out of a hole.

Researchers have observed and photographed wild gorillas using sticks and stumps to navigate a swampy forest clearing in the Republic of the Congo. The images provide the first documented use of tools among wild gorillas.

In one instance, a female gorilla named Leah tried to wade across a pool of water but found herself waist deep after just a few steps. She retreated, grabbed a branch sticking out of the water, and used it to gauge the water's depth before wading deeper.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Remarkable video clips of wild chimpanzees using "tool kits" to dig out termites from their underground nest have been recorded by scientists who believe it is the most sophisticated culture yet observed in great apes other than man.

Although chimps are known to use long twigs as simple tools to fish for termites - a nutritious delicacy - this is the first time that a far more complex behaviour involving two different kinds of tools has been observed in the wild.

Crickette Sanz of the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig and David Morgan of Cambridge University made the video with the help of hidden cameras trained on termite mounds in the tropical forests of the Congo that chimps were known to frequent.

www.iol.co.za...

A new study reveals that like a person drawing up a grocery list or packing sunscreen and snorkel for a beach vacation, apes plan ahead and collect tools they might need for future tasks.

The findings suggest that the precursor skills for planning ahead evolved in the common ancestor for humans and all other great apes at least 14 million years ago.

www.livescience.com...

[edit on 2008/4/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

bomb dem dar terrorist orangutans before they develop nukes.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 2-5-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Heres the vid of the wading chimps from the David Atenborough series...

Wading chimps

CX.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Someone must have unconvered an obelisk of somekind...

But seriously though this is some interesting stuff. Is this a wild orangutan or did is watch villagers try this. It would definitely be a lot more interesting if this was just some random wild ape.

Great post!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Brilliant stuff...

Star an a Flag OP. I believe we are witnessing evolution first hand here - in baby steps of course! Even if these guys have had extensive contact with Humans, it is still and extraordinary sight... I often wondered if the same thing somehow happened to primitive man, our own 'Monolith' from 2001!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loutty
Someone must have unconvered an obelisk of somekind...

But seriously though this is some interesting stuff. Is this a wild orangutan or did is watch villagers try this. It would definitely be a lot more interesting if this was just some random wild ape.

Great post!

Supposedly it was an Orangutan with previous human contact that observed local villagers. I wonder if we can teach them to plant and harvest crops for bananas....

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

I don't know about teaching them to plant and harvest.
But it's not too late to get one to run in the 08 election

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join