It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer 'Grand Theft Auto IV' game spree to begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Killer 'Grand Theft Auto IV' game spree to begin

afp.google.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) — "Grand Theft Auto IV" is expected to blow away hot shooter "Halo 3" when fans begin sating their desires for the highly popular videogame by Rockstar Games.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Euro Gamer gave this a 10 out of 10, so did IGN, Team Xbox, Game Informer, and Video Gamer. They are expecting from 60 buck a pop into more than $500,000,000 in its first week! How much did Spiderman gross in its first week in the theaters compared to those figures. Its amazing. Why is the game filled with hoes junkies, and pimp so attractive, and addictive in gamers. It seems lots of gamers are doing just fine in this recession

afp.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

TORONTO — "Halo" was big. "Grand Theft Auto IV" will be bigger.

Tuesday marks the release of the latest chapter of mayhem in fictional Liberty City, home to the successful "Grand Theft Auto" video game franchise from Rockstar Games.

The long-awaited game, whose release was pushed back from last November, has a history of success at the cash register. And the latest instalment should be even more profitable considering that it is available for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 users right from the get-go. In the past, Xbox users have had to wait for their version of the game to come out.

The last blockbuster game release was "Halo 3," an Xbox-exclusive title that took in an estimated US$170 million in its first 24 hours of release last fall in the U.S., according to Microsoft. "GTA 4" is expected to surpass that take - and the $300 million that "Halo 3" took in during the first week.

"We think even just on Xbox 360, it's got a shot at dethroning 'Halo 3,"' said Jason Anderson, head of marketing for Xbox Canada.

"A staggering figure," Matt Levitan, marketing and PR manager for PlayStation Canada, said of estimates of US$400 million in opening sales

canadianpress.google.com...

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- ``Grand Theft Auto IV,'' the latest version of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.'s top-selling video game, is forecast to break industry sales records after it arrives in U.S. stores tomorrow.

First-week revenue may reach $360 million, surpassing the $300 million by Microsoft Corp.'s ``Halo 3'' last September, according to Mike Hickey, an analyst with Janco Partners in Greenwood Village, Colorado.

Take-Two is depending on ``Grand Theft Auto'' sales to stiffen shareholder resistance to a $2 billion hostile takeover bid from Electronic Arts Inc., the largest game publisher. New York-based Take-Two predicts revenue may more than double to as much as $500 million this quarter on demand for the new title and end more than two years of losses.

``April 29 has been a key date with respect to discussions'' with Electronic Arts, Take-Two Chief Executive Officer Benjamin Feder, 44, said in an interview. ``We've repeatedly said that the full commercial potential of `GTA IV' will only be evident after the launch.''

www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Grand Theft Auto is the best. Go out and buy the fun. the best part is shooting the cops.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
hoes, junkies, and pimps? Really is that it? That makes up about 5% of the entire game. Really have you ever played a GTA game all the way through? Gamers do not play grand theft auto for those things.

You know why it's so popular? Because it is the biggest video game out there. There's so many things involved in this game. You don't just go around picking up hoes and shooting cops the whole time.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_WiiIts amazing. Why is the game filled with hoes junkies, and pimp so attractive, and addictive in gamers. It seems lots of gamers are doing just fine in this recession

It's freedom and gameplay. For the most part you can do what you want to do there is a story line but you don't have to do it. Hookers are in the game but you don't have to do anything with them. I don't remember any junkies though you can sell drugs or atleast in Vice City. Pimps not really and I can't remember seeing any (my memory sucks sometimes) though in the older games I believe there were. There's nothing worse in the game than in real life and on the news. The other thing is that the game is rated "mature" so nobody under 17 I believe should be able to buy it.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by sandman441]

[edit on 28-4-2008 by sandman441]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

Haha ok I admit it shooting the cops is one of the funnest things to do in the game.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
reply to post by anti us gov

Haha ok I admit it shooting the cops is one of the funnest things to do in the game.

haha nah you gotta get a rocket launcher and get a bunch of cars and blow one up and watch the chain of events.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

i do. having sex with hookers and then beating them to get your money back is also fun. blowing cars up, riding in a tank and driving over the cars. GTA is the s**t.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

I think i spent more time in shootouts with the police than i did on the storyline. Not that i have a thing with shooting at police, but they dont stop until they kill you, and they usually do, so it is a challange really.

A friend of mine has been playing it since saturday, and he says it definately lives up to the hype.

I long for a new Oblivion instalment. If i want to sell drugs and try to take over a crime syndicate, that option is always open. How often are you going to comb through the bushes on horseback running from crazy winged devil babies.

Strung out parents are pissed that the game is instilling violent behavior within our youth. I tend to agree with them even though i know i can seperate games from real life. But to further promote the criminal lifestyle as something normal and exciting, is only giving the global elite the advantage of making us believe that crime and violence are never going to go away without haveing to come out and tell us.

I know im all over the newest online first person shooters like a fly on sh*t, and im a little ashamed to tell you the truth, but it does attract to my desire to target with precision and execute, it is just to bad that my only reference to that is the behavior of military establishments.

I like pool games too, they just are not that popular.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Consoles ruined gaming.

Don't buy the game and quit buying consoles (except maybe the Wii, I'll allow that).

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I picked up my copy at lunch today and I am pumped.

Few more hours of work than the gym, and then the fun will begin.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I kinda fell out of the whole GTA thing after GTA 3, i mean i played vice city and san andreas, but they just got kinda cartoony and vice city was just a bunch of running around doing pointless missions for different people over and over along with the expected and played out GTA debauchery. San Andreas was allright, atleast it had somewhat of a point to it with the gang warfare, but i think GTA is finally getting to the point to where its being run into the ground....too much of the same stuff and too many rip offs like scarface and that one game from the xbox 360...geeze i dont even remember its name

on a side note tho yall know theres already codes out for GTA 4?

www.cheatcc.com...

Cheat mode
While playing the game, press Up to display Niko's cell phone. Press Up again to access the keypad. Then, enter one of the following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function. Once a code has been entered correctly, a new "Cheats" menu option will be available on your phone, below "Options", where you can access the cheats without having to enter the phone number again. Note: Do not save the game after enabling a code to avoid unforeseen problems. Enabling some cheats may prevent achievements from being earned.

Full health and armor
Dial "3625550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "DOC-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets", "Finish Him", "One Man Army", and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Full health, armor, and ammunition
Dial "4825550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "GTA-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 1
Dial "4865550100" into the cell phone. This will unlock the baseball bat, handgun, shotgun, MP5, M4, sniper rifle, RPG, and grenades. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0150". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 2
Dial "4865550150" into the cell phone. This will unlock the knife, Molotov cocktails, handgun, shotgun, Uzi, AK47, sniper rifle, and RPG. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Remove Niko's wanted level
Dial "2675550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Add one star to Niko's wanted level
Dial "2675550150" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0150".

Spawn Annihilator police helicopter
Dial "3595550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "FLY-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Spawn Cognoscenti
Dial "2275550142" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0142".

Spawn Comet
Dial "2275550175" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0175".

Spawn FBI Buffalo
Dial "2275550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0100".

Spawn Jetmax
Dial "9385550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "WET-555-0100".

Spawn NRG-900
Dial "6255550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0100".

Spawn Sanchez
Dial "6255550150" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0150".

Spawn SuperGT
Dial "2275550168" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0168".

Spawn Turismo
Dial "2275550147" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0147".

Change weather and brightness
Dial "4685550100" into the cell phone. Note: This phone number translates to "HOT-555-0100".

Secret map locations
Enter "www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com" into the in-game computers to view maps that reveal all weapon,

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry for the cheats spoiler

WOOPS!!! prolly shoulda posted this post before the last one lol

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Ya I was at the midnight launch last night, didn't sleep at all today, played from 1am to about 6. took a shower. Played some more till about 9. My main thing about the game is that I'm starting to get the feeling that it was over hyped.

It's a great game, but I think some of the scores blew the game out of proportion.

Before you start flaming me, I have played GTA since it was a top down game on the pc over 10 years ago. I loved gta 3, vice city, and san andreas (my girlfriend and I played these together and beat them all..a very interesting bonding experience).

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I've been a fan of the series since GTA3: San Andreas, and I bought GTA4 last night. Due to stuff like College, and being a responsible Father and Husband, I was only able to play it for an hour or so, but wow, what a great hour!

It's a very easy series for anyone who hasn't played it to dismiss as nothing other than sex, cop-killing, and all the bad stuff your preacher warned you about.

However, there's a much deeper story to it, one that requires immersion in the underworld to truly understand. The first half of GTA3 was fantastic, and movie-worthy. I had not seen as deep an understanding of the inescapability of gang-life since Boyz N The Hood.

Yes, there was killing, yes there was theft, yes the protagonist commits illegal acts and, frankly, was never intended to be a role model. But that wasn't the point of the game any more than "Dead Rising" was just to go around a mall killing zombies (it was about rampant and unchecked consumption and consumerism in the U.S. and the consequences that follow).

GTA is the story of what happens when someone who begins the story good at heart finds themselves pushed and prodded into illegal acts by a corrupt police force, a tyrannical government, a violent, barbaric state of affairs in their current residence, and the only defense, the only way to live, is to sell a little piece of your soul, a little bit at a time, until you become one of the very monsters at the top, feeding off the very victims you once were.

Video Games are an evolving medium. The days where a game could be a smash box-office blockbuster hit by merely being "go shoot these guys, and pimp these ho's" no longer exist. A game must have a compelling storyline, it must have good acting, it must immerse the player in a world that is at once familiar and strange. It must evoke a sensawunda and sympathy for the protagonist, and a feeling that what one does in the game is justified by circumstances of the environment.

Certainly I think it's fair to say that most of us here have no plans in real life to go steal a car, shoot a cop, or pimp out some ho's. This is not because we are incapable of such acts, or because we have never thought about it or considered it, but because we have not been forced into that lifestyle by the circumstances and environment surrounding us. The point of GTA is that the circumstance and environment really are that bad in the game-world, and the true message of the game is how it came to be that way, and how it's going to end.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I like GTA but honestly i want a game where u play the good guy, like a cop cleansing the streets or something of that nature. why not? it can be fun too. are heroic characters only reserved for comic books? im talking about playing a decent guy who wants to do the right thing which if u think about it is more challenging than being evil, as being good requires work. im sure they can think of a way to make such storylines as fun.

remember bioshock, it gave u a choice,gta should have something like that where your behviors have consquences and builds up character.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
I like GTA but honestly i want a game where u play the good guy, like a cop cleansing the streets or something of that nature.

You mean like Crackdown? That was basically GTA where you play a Cop instead of a Bad Guy. It was a really good game too. But that's a different storyline. Just like not every movie can portray a "classic hero", some display an "anti-hero"

Originally posted by DuneKnight
remember bioshock, it gave u a choice,gta should have something like that where your behviors have consquences and builds up character.

Yes, I loved that game, and it's an excellent example of what you are talking about. The "Moral Choices" Genre in gaming has only recently gotten major attention by mainstream game companies and budgets. It's been around in other games in the past, but really didn't get much attention till the likes of Fable in 2004.

new topics

top topics

join