It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Employee Fired for Stealing New Video Game (GTA IV)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

UPS Employee Fired for Stealing New Video Game (GTA IV)

www.shacknews.com

"When we have a [big name release], we communicate it to operations and security teams. We have security in place at the facilities, and we make sure they understand to keep an eye out for things to exit the building," the source claimed. "We had tips from people inside, and some of them were discovered at intermediate hubs... it's easy to spot: flaps torn, some boxes are re-taped."

The source added that the thieves stole single copies for personal use, rather than entire boxes for pre-release sale at hefty markups. Finding those responsible for the theft was made easy by the company's loss-prevention measures.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I cannot believe how desperate people can get nowadays. It's totally irrational. Why would a grown up man steal a video game knowing that it's against his company's policies and he might lose his job?

On the other hand. Why is UPS firing someone for such petty theft? Do they like destroying people's lives? The employee's records are probably not going to be revealed so no one knows whether or not he did this more than once in his job.

To tell people the truth, I've heard many incidents where employers fire people for minimal reasons. Maybe it's to get rid of redundant workers? Perhaps, but employment can help the economy in the long run.

www.shacknews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I remember the guy at Gamestop telling me that when they received the first shipments of the Ps3, they were delivered in armored vehicles, with guards. I didn't believe it till I read this.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I'm trying to figure out the conspiratorial angle to this.

Seems pretty simple to me person steals from work, person get's fired. Employers, particualrly of big companies with deep pockets, are so lawsuit shy that when this guys next prospective employer contacts UPS they will most likely get this answer and that is all. "person was employed from this date to this date is not elligible for rehire." Due to liability concers that is about all anyone will release nowadays. If there is a criminal charge involved a prospective employer should be able to track that down if they really look.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
When I bought mine this morning, the shop was just opening and they wheeled out a large locked cage where the games were being held. With a simultaneous worldwide release of such a huge title, Take Two pressured stores to enforce the embargo.

Could you imagine if some cinema employee broke in and screened Iron Man for his friends this afternoon? He would be fired too. Theft is one thing, and perhaps this guy had been given previous warnings, but I would suspect if he had stolen it a week from now he wouldn't have been fired.

Edit: I agree there's no real conspiracy angle to this. Probably belongs in BTS.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by TheStev]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Yep and I had posted this story on the 28th in the video games forum where I figured it belonged.

Alas, 1 reply to it there.

I just knew this game would have people losing there minds ... just waiting on the reports of disgruntled parents now

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day

On the other hand. Why is UPS firing someone for such petty theft? Do they like destroying people's lives? The employee's records are probably not going to be revealed so no one knows whether or not he did this more than once in his job.

Seriuosly.... you're kidding right? You can't believe they fired him. He's a thief, he stole something. It doesn't matter what it was, it was his and he took it.

Would you feel the same way had he stole an entire case of the games?

It was only a game this time, but what about next time?

Maybe this wasn't the first time he's done it, what else has he stolen?

There's no excuse for stealing.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There are two kinds of people you can NEVER TRUST!

A THIEF and a LIAR!

You can never know when they might be lying to you or when then might steal from you.

[edit on 29/4/08 by Keyhole]

top topics

join