It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can one become more aware of the dream state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I've been toying around with different techniques to achieve a lucid dream state lately, but mostly to no avail. However, i've had several dreams that contained indications that i was dreaming, but i was unable to pick up on them. My grandma that recently died has made several appearances in the last half year since she passed. Perhaps this isn't a clear-cut sign because i rarely saw her and did not maintain a close relationship with her.

I did start to become aware of my dream state once since i've become interested in lucid dreaming. It came in the face of an impending peril, but then i realized i would remain unscathed from driving off of a cliff because i was dreaming, and all of the sudden i realized i was doing just that. I looked at my hands as seems to be the most common method of holding on to a lucid dream, but my view just faded away into a whole different dream and my awareness faded with it. I used to lucidly dream often when i was younger, before i knew what lucid dreaming was, but it ceased around the age of..... puberty. This seems to be common among lucid hopefuls; does the stress of life make it uneasy to reach a lucid state of dreaming?

So to any lucid dreaming experts or anyone who can offer their experience:
How can i recognize the signs that i'm dreaming better, and not simply accept them as reality?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
There's a number of ways to cultivate awareness of the dream state.

Since I was young I have had precognitive dreams and dreams where
I visited other dimensions and was taught spiritual things while there.

My most recent precognitive dream was when I had a clear
dream of me driving my truck into the neighbors fence then into the pool.

The next day I checked the brake fluid on my truck and there was about
one drop. Had I not been warned through a dream I probably would
have lost my brakes. This is an example of a precognitive protector
dream.

The best teacher of lucid dreaming on the planet is Namkhai Norbu.
He is a high Tibetan Lama and holds a two thousand year lineage on
dream yoga or lucid dreaming. His book is titled,
'Dream Yoga and the Practice of the Natural Light'

It has been written by enlightened beings that during this age
of degeneracy that certain individuals will be contacted directly
(that is mind to mind and is based on your level of compassion)
by super advanced beings and that they will have precognitive
dreams that will protect them and their friends and families.
This is better than any technology.
This is the best defense and comes under the category known as
WISDOM.

This is something the mainstream media does not have even a whiff of
nor do they have one iota of the good karma needed to receive this gift.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Step 1
best way ive found to become more aware in the dream world is to start meditating every day. it opened up a new world for me. but the key is to meditate at least once every day. repetition is extremely important. give it 2 weeks of solid effort and you will be amazed.

Step 2
start writing down all of your dreams down...www.dreaminterpretation.biz...
that software really helped me. it catalog's all of your dreams and analyzes key words to show you what things mean in the dream world.

step 3
make it a habit to ask yourself randomly during the day, "am i dreaming right now?" make it a habit like every time you look at the clock you ask yourself that question. eventually your subconscious will pick up on this and you will ask yourself this while dreaming and you will become lucid.

hope this helps...works for me!!

[edit on 28-4-2008 by bringthelight]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thanks Electricneo,

Hey would this be an example of a 'precognitive protector dream'; i've been pondering the idea of such all day.

Last night i went to bed fairly late, and was anxious before i fell asleep because such. All night i thought that i was still awake and started dreaming that i had gone to school, thinking that i really had. I dreamt myself talking to a female friend and just before i woke up, her over-protective boyfriend showed up.

Later that day however (i'm awake now), just before walking out of class with that female friend, i was joking around with her and turned around to come face to face with her psychotic boyfriend. After some nasty words, i managed to walk away with my face in tact.

I know its a stretch but, what do you think?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NexGenRevolution

One thing I have found that helps is setting an alarm clock at weird times until you find out when your REM sleep cycle is/when you dream. My magic time is 9:30 right now. The alarm snaps me out of the dream and forces me to realize I am dreaming. Once I am conscious (sorta), I can proceed on with fun dreams.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thank you for these tips bringthelight. I've been mulling over the idea of meditating, i'd mine as well give 'er a try. That dream analyzing software is an interesting find

As for the habit of questioning your consciousness throughout the day, i've tried similar techniques but they didn't seem to help. I walked around with a big black 'C' on my hand for about a week. Everyone thought i had become an alcoholic, come to find out the 'C' stands for 'conscious.' I never looked at my hands in my dream, even though i frequently looked at my hands while awake. I also used to ask myself if i was conscious everytime i walked through a door way.. but to be honest i don't think i did it enough.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hello Draves,

Concerning your alarm clock method, will you remember vividly your dream if you were in a REM cycle? Does the alarm wake you up? or do you just here it in your dream?

I tried a method i read about for a while; waking up early then going back to bed an hour or so later. Is this similar to what you're describing?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
yeah i think meditating is the biggest help. Find some soothing music you can sit down and listen to for about a half hour each day. Best time to do it is a half hour after waking, and about 1-2 hours before bed. After about two weeks i started having more frequent lucid dreams and had my first astral travel! I had heard about these and never thought it to be real. Once you experience the vibrations for the first time though, theres no coming back. Pretty crazy thing experiencing your soul leaving your body for the first time!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NexGenRevolution

Precognitive protective dreams often come out of the blue
without any pondering on the subject.
Though they can be conjured.

It sounds like you have a crush on that girl in school.
And this is the equation for that,

Crush
+ hot babe
+ dream
x hormones
divided by [already has boyfriend]
+ boyfriend sneaks up from behind
+ nasty words
= Danger and should learn kung fu

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm no lucid dreaming expert, and I've never experimented with it, but I will say that nearly all lucid dreams I've had were because I noticed something in the dream that my brain recognized as being either impossible (like flying or some other weird powers) or something incredibly unlikely, like being a millionaire or having that hot girl actually be interested in me!

My advice would be to look for things that are inconsistent with reality, and hopefully your brain will get trained to recognize them in your dreams.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NexGenRevolution
Hello Draves,

Concerning your alarm clock method, will you remember vividly your dream if you were in a REM cycle? Does the alarm wake you up? or do you just here it in your dream?

I tried a method i read about for a while; waking up early then going back to bed an hour or so later. Is this similar to what you're describing?

I cannot say 100% that I am in REM sleep, but that is supposed to be the time we dream. A lot of times the alarm will wake me, and I will even go get a snack. My dreams usually wait for that. I digress. When I wake up I know if I am in a dream state because I will immediately remember my dreams, or realize I forgot something.

I haven't really tried any methods; I just stubled upon something that works for me. I think getting up and moving around a bit can help though. That way you don't fall into a deep sleep right away.

One last little tip-keep paper by your bed or leave your computer on so you can write your dreams down. It is a terrible feeling when you say "I'll remember," and two hours later you have no clue other than you lost your dream.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Actually my attempt to lucid dream is my stepping stone to my future attempts to astrally project.

How might alcohol/marijuana affect lucid dreams or astral projection?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electricneo
It sounds like you have a crush on that girl in school.

Honestly there is no crush going on here. Fear for my life would overcome any feelings for her.

But more on the subject it seems like you're making a mockery of my dream
What kind of danger are we talkin to induce a precognitive dream?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

How might alcohol/marijuana affect lucid dreams or astral projection?

Not sure about marijuana, but I would steer clear of the alcohol. Alcohol messes with sleeping patters and it can really throw you off. Not to mention that hangovers aren't very conducive to happy dreams. Ouch.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So you have no feelings for her at all?
Because she has a boyfriend your feelings don't exist?
Are we supposed to believe that?
Is that really sincere or are you afraid of the truth?
It's okay to have feelings for a girl who you like but
has a boyfriend.

Relax. Take a breath.
I'm not trying to mock you but to help you find a little humor
in your situation. Humor is your best weapon in overcoming
any obstacles. Always try to find the humor. Even with the
dude boyfriend. It will get you a lot further than nasty words.

My point about how this relates to lucid dreaming is that as others
here are saying meditation will help you dream. Meditation does
not mean pondering, or fixating on this girl. Meditation means
emptying the mind. If concepts or hot babes arise just watch them
pass without clinging. If your mind cannot get spacious like a
blue sky then count your breaths.
Laser-like focus on the inhalation and exhalation.
The more you do this the more space in your mind and
then things that seem quite serious can be seen much more lightly.

For example think of the girl that you fixated on 2 years ago.
Due to the space as in actual time and space this infatuation that
you had 2 years ago seems so light and not so heavy anymore.

Meditation is a way to speed up this process of letting go into
spaciousness where things can be seen as not so heavy and laughter
can arise more easily. As well as lucid dreaming.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hey there, glad to see you're trying to get back into it all. I began lucid dreaming when i was just hitting puberty during a period of my life when i was trying to take control of my dreams to end this particular recurring nightmare i'd been having. I first became aware of the fact i was dreaming while dreaming, and one day the lucidity began.

I explored the lucid-dreaming world for about six years without issues, but began having sleep paralysis issues, and also some VERY strange experiences both while dreaming and in waking life. I took a long hiatus from self-exploration (although i did get into Remote Viewing), but now i'm three years married and my life has centered some, i've been remembering more dreams lately and they've become much more vivid. I know the drill, and i'm sure i'll be lucid dreaming again before i know it.

My latest greatest love is iTunes when it comes to sleep-meditation. There are a lot of podcasts out there related to meditation and some that focus on lucid dreaming. I find that the relaxation techniques for sleep-meditation are all i need to get into a state of vague-awareness where i can be lucid.

I also suggest listening to any of the relaxing ambient stations on iTunes, as most nights i use that.

It's also a great idea to write your dreams down. I downloaded the dream interpretation deal from a previous post and i look forward to trying it, but i'm a fan of pen and paper. Helps you digest the words (and meaning) more.

For me, it's important that i sleep on my back with a light blanket, if any covering. I either sleep naked or with something that fits loosely, arms and legs out so they're not touching.

I'll check back!

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Lmao!

Again Electricneo,

No feelings for the girl and especially not fixated. I'd be totally fine with admitting personal feelings to a bunch of people who will never no me, but thats not it. She's a really good friend actually. And i'm not too concerned with my feelings for other girls either. And actually "humor is my best weapon" is exactly what i said to her about the whole ordeal

At any rate, to get back to what I was asking about: What exactly denotes a precognitive dream? How often do you have them?

I will be sure to look into meditation though, thank you

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Become aware of dreams precedes becoming aware IN dreams (lucid dreaming).

So basically first its a question of intensified interest in the subject. In the morning you wake up and let the dream you had re-run a few times in your mind so that it sticks to your waking-life-memory.

If you have waking-life-memory of dream-life, you will also have dream-life memory of waking-life (and thats when you realize you are dreaming...which leads to a lucid dream).

These are the basic beginning steps, imo.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Just some thoughts:

Just follow Laberge's steps on his website. He pretty much covers it all.
Personally it took me quite a while before I could do lucid dreaming and only because I had about 1-2 months off at that time.

What I found really helpful was waking up before my usual waking up time and going back to sleep. That usually sparks the lucid dreaming phase. I think it has to do with going into a different phase of the sleep cycle. Changing the time I sleep helps as well.

The first time, I was too excited and woke up immediately on realizing it was a lucid dream. 2nd time, I did the spinning the body around thing and kept the dream state for slightly longer. 3rd to 4th times are the ones I really enjoyed the most as I got the hang of it, it gets easier. Flying was very exhilarating in the 3rd one. The 4th one...well...

Minus points: I didn't get a lot of rest during this period. Sleeping didn't cure the tiredness anymore. And the more I experimented, the easier it got to dream lucidly but the less restful I felt.

My motivation for lucid dreaming at that time was because I had loads of time on my hand, I was in a pretty sad phase of my life & wanted to escape. Its different for everyone. Anyway once I picked myself up and life started turning better again, I didn't have the time or energy or desire anymore to do lucid dreaming.

Just some thoughts, sorry if I went off on a tangent. Good luck to OP

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Become aware of dreams precedes becoming aware IN dreams (lucid dreaming).

So basically first its a question of intensified interest in the subject. In the morning you wake up and let the dream you had re-run a few times in your mind so that it sticks to your waking-life-memory.

If you have waking-life-memory of dream-life, you will also have dream-life memory of waking-life (and thats when you realize you are dreaming...which leads to a lucid dream).

These are the basic beginning steps, imo.

That is so true! excellent advice! be sure to write your dreams down in a journal every morning then look over what you wrote before you go to bed.

new topics

top topics

join