It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's C-51 Law May Outlaw 60% of Natural Health Products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Canada's C-51 Law May Outlaw 60% of Natural Health Products

www.naturalnews.com

A new law being pushed in Canada by Big Pharma seeks to outlaw up to 60 percent of natural health products currently sold in Canada, even while criminalizing parents who give herbs or supplements to their children. The law, known as C-51, was introduced by the Canadian Minister of Health on April 8th, 2008, and it proposes sweeping changes to Canada's Food and Drugs Act that could have devastating consequences on the health products industry.

Among the changes proposed by the bill are radical alterations to key terminology, including replacing the word "drug" with "therapeutic product" throughout the Act, thereby giving the Canadian government broad-reaching powers to regulate the sale of all herbs, vitamins, supplements and other items. With this single language change, anything that is "therapeutic" automatically falls under the Food and Drug Act. This would include bottled water, blueberries, dandelion greens and essentially all plant-derived substances.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.stopc51.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Big Pharma attacks vitamins + minerals
US - AER BILL will outlaw supplements AUG 2006??
Codex Alimentarius (Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09)
FDA plans to reclassify all vitamins, supplements, herbs and juices as FDA-regulated drugs

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This source is certainly not mainstream and I sometimes take the information I find here with a grain of salt.

But, this new law proposed in Canada, the northern neighbor of America, sends chills down my spine.
My household is heavily into alternative cures, vitamins and herbal supplements.
If a law like this can be passed, what new powers will it give to Big Drugs to further take away citizens rights to alternative health care and how soon before something like this passes in America.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I emailed new stations all over canada about this. hopefully we will get some coverage over the bill.

it probably has something to do with codex alimentarius

weird.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I imagine that Canada would have their citizens opposing to this, is very disappointed how Canada's government is been taking over by big pharma just like in the US big corporations has taken over ours, with big pharma as number one.

Start fighting back, do not let this goes any farther.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Unfortunately, as I'm sure Intrepid can confirm, we are currently under the regime of a neo-con fundamentalist government such as yourselves. They are a minority government, so they are relatively contained at the moment, but the liberal opposition is content to sit quietly and do nothing so as to not cause an election (they fear they will lose big time, and give the cons a majority). Problem is these neo-con bastards like to make every piece of controversial legislation into a confidence motion, so any dissent will cause an election.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
What's wrong with this? If people are buying alternative health products, then shouldn't the products be governed the same as drugs? Such as making sure they actually do what they say they do, and making sure the manufacturers aren't preying on people who buy anything with "holistic" or "100% natural" on the label. I guess if you're selling something that has health benefits, you should be treated the same as if you're selling drugs, as essentially you are - you're selling chemicals that affect the functioning of the body, which is exactly what constitutes a drug.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Actually natural medicines were we us since the beginning of time, pharma is a modern version of it.

But their business is to profit out of diseases not to find cures, so actually their drugs are just like alternative medicines but here in the US is a multibillion dollar empire that rules in Capitol hill.

So the milking cow that is the people in need of their treatments have to be monopolized, control and feed that the only way to feel better is with their miracle pills.

Deceiving.

But is OK in America we have then stamped with FDA approval, but take a good look at who this FDA caters to.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Absolutely. Fortunately, many of us up here in the great white north avidly self medicate (48-52% if the polls are correct), if you catch my drift
, and for the most part get away with it. We have a way of ignoring stupid laws, and depending on where you are, the cops will look the other way if you're not being to obvious or dealing. I assume if this idiocy passes, which is a good possibility, most people here who utilise these products in question, will regard this law like they do the latter.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
What's wrong with this? If people are buying alternative health products, then shouldn't the products be governed the same as drugs? Such as making sure they actually do what they say they do, and making sure the manufacturers aren't preying on people ...

Funny, the same could be said about MSM and the governing laws for them AREN'T protecting people:
Just look at the lawsuits and the attorneys getting rich off of them.

I don't see many, if ANY, lawsuits resulting from cases where alternative and holistic medical treatments were killing or maiming patients.

I'll stick with my bilberry, flaxseed, hawthorn and red yeast rice, thank you very much.
I'm far healthier now than when I relied on an M.D. to "help" me out

Also, if this bad law passes in Canada, it will be another nail in the coffin of alternative care in America.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ain't no one gonna stop this Canuck girl from using herbal medicine.
I'd like to see them try. They'll be getting my middle finger in their face.
Damn straight I'll be fighting this. I have never stood up against my own government on any issue before, but this is the last straw.
Putting on my boxing gloves boys, go ahead and ding that bell.

top topics

join